It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Compounded transdermal gels... how well do they work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
    freks1988
    (female)

freks1988 HB User
    Question Compounded transdermal gels... how well do they work?

Has anyone used a compounded transdermal gel (e.g. Ketoprofen, Ketamine, Lidocaine, Amitripyline, Baclofen) for their pain? How well do the transdermal gels work to reduce pain? How much reduction in pain did you get from using the transdermal gel? Are there any side effects? I'm not sure which medicine works best for bone/nerve pain.

The options available are:
    Ketoprofen 20%
    Ketoprofen 10% / Baclofen 10%
    Ketoprofen 10%, Ketamine 5%, Lidocaine 5%, Amitriptyline 2%

I have no experience with any of these meds and have never used a transdermal gel before.

Thanks for any information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    re: Compounded transdermal gels... how well do they work?

The only one I have personal experience with is the 5% Lidocaine in the form of the patch. You can of course obtain it in a true gel form but I've been told it's not as effective as the patch is because the patch is more of a controlled release if you will. Add to that you have to be very careful with the gels when putting them on. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Also be aware some of them due cause stains in the clothing.

I've had great success with it in regards to muscle and nerve pain but not all individuals react the same. My doctor prescribes it different than what the mfg suggests so I do wear the patchs for longer periods than just 12 hours. 22 hours on, 2 hours off.

Many doctors, especially PM's often have samples of the patches. Perhaps you could ask your doctor if you could try a sample to see if it is effective for you as it is very expensive.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
    lindiana53
    (female)

lindiana53 HB User

Do stains wash out of clothing? How well does the patch stay on? I'm thinking about asking for the Lidoderm patch for my back. My pain also runs down my legs, so I don't know if numbing just my back will help though.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The stains don't come out, it's like when you have an oil on your clothing that just doesn't go away.

The patches are an aqueous gel and stick fairly well but I find that it is important to clean the area before you apply the patch. I use a small alcohol swab to cleanse the area first. If your skin is really oily they will not stick well at all. I have not found the patches to stain but the rub on gels can.

Do ask your doctor for a sample or two to try first because they are very expensive. 1 box of 30 pads is about $100. I use 4 boxes a month and pay around $100 in copy per month but when I do mail order I only have to pay $10 for a 90 day supply of 360 patches, HUGE price difference! If your insurance has mail order it is definately the way to go

Old 05-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
    freks1988
    (female)

freks1988 HB User

I should have said that I already use Lidoderm patches, however, the patches do not provide enough relief from the bone and nerve pain. I use them on my foot. The patches will not adhere well to skin that has moisturizer on it, so skin must be free of oils, etc.

I am really hoping that I can get more relief with a transdermal gel, but I don't know anyone who has used the gels. I hate taking meds, and I don't want to end up taking Lyrica or opiates.

thanks for your help.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The thing that I found with the pads is that you must clean your skin first with alcohol or soap and water and even then they can roll up on the edges or not stick well in an area that moves a lot. Additionally you are only supposed to wear them for 12 hours at a time 3 a day max so you have that period of time without anything. I do wear mine 22 hours at a time, 2 hours off per my doctor and have not had any problems with too high of lidocaine in my blood levels.
    If the gels are the say way, only used for a short length of time you might find yourself in the same prediciment.
    I guess the only way to know is to try them!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
    CAaronL
    (male)

CAaronL HB User
    Thumbs up re: Compounded transdermal gels... how well do they work?

Hi.

I just registered on this site specifically to put my two cents' worth in on this thread. I apologize that this post is likely to be fairly brief, as I'm typing it on my iPhone, and I'm not that fond of trying to type with my fat thumbs on this "keyboard".

I recently was prescribed a compounded transdermal gel from my pain doc. He sent the script directly to a pharmacy in Alabama called OPC (Optimal Pain Control). The primary ingredient is ketamine, but it also has cyclobenz., gabapentin, and several other ingredients in lesser quantities.

I have neuropathic pain due to congenital malformations/"entrapped nerve syndrome", and I've not had much luck over the past few years with anything helping with my pain other than opiates.

Long story short, the gel does indeed seem to work. The base is a kind of watery gel, which rubs into the skin within about 2 minutes of continually rubbing it into the area. Within 30 minutes of my first application of this gel (earlier this evening), I noticed a marked reduction in my pain level -- I'd say a 40% reduction.

Finally, I must add that I was extremely cynical before I tried this stuff. I had used the lidoderm patches and gotten no relief whatsoever from them. All the lidoderm did was numb my skin in the area; it did nothing for my deeper nerve pain.

I am truly surprised I'm getting any relief from this stuff at all. I still don't really understand how it works, but for me, it does seem to.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

My creme is a compound of Ketamine, Ketoprofen, Iburofen, Amiltriptyline and Carbazapine. For me it works great! I have used it for 10 years and it has been a lifesaver for me. I am in Florida and with all the new laws, my rheumy has decided not to prescribe it with the Ketamine anymore. I got it last month and it does absolutely nothing. My next appointment I am going to be discussing it with him because I think it is ridiculous for not prescribing it. It's a topical creme for pete's sake!

Closed Thread