It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• "Dumbing down" for docs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
    hhsix
    (female)

hhsix HB User
    Unhappy "Dumbing down" for docs?

Hi all

I have an appt w/a new PM doc tomorrow.

They told me to bring any radiology stuff & whatnot with me. Among the MANY probs I have w/my current doc is the fact that in the 2 1/2 yrs I've been going to him he's NEVER done any radiology OR bloodwork. NONE.

He's never had my blood drawn, not even to check liver function,etc. I thought they were supposed to do that on a regular basis. I've asked him repeatedly (every visit) about this. I'm a little paranoid about taking something w/acetaminophen in it for so long.

I had an allergic reaction to a med he put me on & he still didn't draw blood. My hubby mentioned it to a field surgeon (Nat'l Guard) that he knows & the guy looked dumbfounded.

My current doc also is very antagonistic towards me. During one visit when he asked me how bad the pain is, what makes it better/worse,etc,I told him the road trips we had to take at the time were excruciating. He said to quit taking them & acted offended when I told him I had to at the time, but would be stopping soon (My mother had ALS & this was about 3 months before she passed away. We have a 12 yr old who was very attached to her "Nana" & needed to be able to see her).

One visit he asked about the level of pain & when I started talking about it & describing it, he told me I was a very negative person. HE ASKED! What am I supposed to do? Tell him everything is hunky dory & that I don't have a problem? That's the whole reason I go to him! Putting on makeup doesn't make the pain go away. I figured a PM doc would know that.

BTW, I truly am not a negative person despite how disgusted I am with this doc. It is my nature to deal with bad things with humor. I guess I just lost my sense of humor where this guy is concerned.

During the next visit, he commented on how large my daughter is. I said I know, but he went on & on about her weight. The more upset I got, the more he talked about it. I found it disgusting, & also wondered what he thought that had to do with my visit with him.

He seems truly perturbed at me when I recognize what a medicine or a procedure is. I feel like I have to "dumb myself down" for him, otherwise he does his best to make me feel like an idiot.

He makes these comments & it never fails, he looks at my husband with a smirk on his face as though they're two 10 yr olds who've just shared an inside joke about someone. My husband is disgusted by it & can't imagine how the man still has a practice if he treats everyone this way. Unfortunately, he's the only PM doc in this quadrant of our state. I'm having to go 2 1/2 hrs away to see this new doc.

There are a multitude of other instances, but I think you can get an idea of what this person is like.

My question is this...

Are most PM docs like this? This is the only one I've seen.

After 8 surgeries on the same area, I pretty much know that morphine doesn't do squat for me & Demerol doesn't take the pain away at all, but it does make me too busy talking to inanimate objects to discuss it (My sister caught me having a conversation with my wall clock).

I thought I was supposed to be able to tell a doctor about things like this without being ridiculed. Things already learned through trial & error so that time wasn't wasted doing it all over again.

Am I wrong? Or do docs actually want patients who are complete idiots & have no ability to retain information?

I also don't know how much of my experience with the old doc I'm supposed to discuss with the new doc. I don't want to seem like I'm some ogre looking to destroy someone, but I also want them to know that I don't think the level of "care"(& I use the term loosely) I've been getting is appropriate.

I guess I just want someone to finally do what they're being paid to do, to use their knowledge they've gained through yrs of practice & training to help me instead of making me feel like it's my fault that I hurt, or that I secretly want to hurt.....As though I hurt because I didn't put on enough makeup & if I'd just gone to the trouble to put a little more on, it might have helped. If only that were all I had to do to get relief! I'd sit & play dress up all day if that were the case!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: "Dumbing down" for docs?

You need to find a new doctor asap.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
    milimoki
    (female)

milimoki HB User

Ewww.. I would never go back and see that guy again. Yes I would tell your new Dr. about your last Dr. I have been treated like that before many times by Dr.'s and nurses. I am blonde and petite and they dont take me seriously. They must think I am an air head because I look like one, then when I open my mouth and know what I am talking about, it makes them even more angry. Keep looking until you find a great Dr. They are out there!!! My new PM Dr is great. He's very nice, and listens to what I have to say, and hes very informative. I would be very very concerened if I was having a conversation with a wall clock by the way. That sounds like a dose that was to high. Good luck and let us know all about the new PM Dr

Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Your doctor is not the norm and is apparently uncaring and possibly rude. I would consider seeing a different doctor. Not all doctors do blood work, I have mine managed via my primary care physician. I do know that if I asked him about blood work he'd most likely be more than happy to do whatever he felt was necessary.

It isn't necessary to explain in detail to the new doctor why you left the old one. You can simply say there was a difference of opinion and you felt your care wasn't optimal. Let the new doctor know what you are currently on, what you have tried, what works and what doesn't work.

There's a good sticky on the top of the board that discusses what a good PM will do. A good PM will try many modalities such a medication, therapy both on a physical and pscological level, offer things such as meditation, biofeedback and even the use of a TENS Unit. It's important to realize that pain management isn't just about medication, it's much more complex. Treating the patient as a whole as opposed to just masking the symptoms is very important.

Good luck
    Barb

Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
    Fibbles
    (male)

Fibbles HB User

I love my PM doctor to bits! She's done more for me as a whole than nearly any of my other doctors combined and that's really without needing to. When I articulate whatever's wrong, she takes me as seriously as I should be taken and encourages me to tell her every little bit so she knows everything that's being done is working effectively.

So now, instead of having to call an make an appointment with a urologist for my chronic urinary tract infections (since May I've been getting them every few weeks ), she sent me for bloodwork and wants to make sure the other Dr's have been giving me the right antibiotic. She also tacked on a bunch of other tests just to check up on what's up too.

When we thought I might have had Arthrogryposis, she tracked down an expert on the disease so we could be sure. I gave her permission to send my yearly slides to other doctor's around the country for their opinions too.

I couldn't be happier with the "service" I'm getting

Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
    DogMom22
    Inactive
    (female)

DogMom22 HB User

I would get rid of this PM doc too, but I have run into the need for 'dumbing down' for my PM too, although generally I like him. It seems like everytime that I talk to him and seem to have some knowledge about something he is explaining to me he seems to be suspicious of me. For example he was trying to explain why he wanted to do a discogram as he suspected internal disrupted disc - he drew a picture of some vertabrea and discs and explained how the discs could rupture internally and cause problems but not show on the MRI. Then he explained the discogram procedure and at some point I said something like - yes I understand that I might feel pain but I have to tell you if it is 'my normal pain' or some other pain' and he just looked puzzled - and he said - you never said you had a discogram before - he was clearly irritated with me. I told him I never had one but that I had read about them, that as a result of not being able to get a diagnosis for my problem I had done much researching and reading about all sorts of back problems that can cause pain and while I didn't think I knew as much or more than he, this is why I had a general idea of a discogram. He seemed to accept that answer, but I decided from that point on to never mention any educated information that I might have from my own reading or even this board - I think he thought maybe I had been through tests before and a pain clinic before - the whole drill. ( I believe I got a similar, but not as intense reaction when I used the word tolerance when I told him my pain was getting worse but that I thought it was because I had built up tolerance to the meds, not that my condition had actually worsened.)

Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
    Too Sweet 74
    Inactive
    (female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User

I hope you can find another PM doc. I have been lucky with mine. He is the first one I have had experience with and given the stories here I know he is a good doc. He asks alot of questions about how I feel as far as my pain but also in my life as well. Always looking for stress, serious depression and anxiety ect that will affect my pain. He gets honestly upset if what he tries does not help me. He seems to want his patients to feel as good as they can as much as they do. He takes alot of time with all his patients too. I don't mind the wait when I have an appointments either, it just means he's doing his best to help someone. He's a rare find. I do alot of reading too about the problems I have and he doesn't mind at all . He is actually glad that I am learning about my nerve injury and the possible treatments and outcomes as well as the drugs I am treated with.. One thing I also like alot is that he has a very strong feelings against the whole comp system. So he understands what I deal with over my work injury and will probably be alot of help in my case. You said there isn't another PM doc close by right? Maybe having an honest discussion with the doc would help. I really hope for the best for you. That you do find a good doc if this one does not work out.

Sherri

P.S. How he was talking about your daughter was rude, unprofessional and just outrageous. You handled it with alot more grace than I would have. Your daughter should not have been his concern just you.

Last edited by Too Sweet 74; 07-25-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I totally agree with everyone else. That guy is unprofessional, rude, and gives doctors a bad name! I can't believe how horribly he treated you and then to bring your daughter in to it. You have every right to be angry and fire that guy.

You can deffinately find another doctor who will treat you with kindness and respect. Find another doctor, and then write this other guy a note and tell him exactly why you fired him and let him know he is God and nothing gives him the right to treat you the way he did.

I just fired the guy (notice I didn't call him doctor) who was suposed to remove my duaghter's wisdom teeth and he got a blazing letter from me, and I also let the referring doctor know what this guy did and they were mortified and will no longer be referring to him. I don't care how many letters, initials and titles someone has behind the name on there nametag or certificate/diploma- not a single one of those titles says "Person who can be an arse to their patients"!!

Good uck sweetie!

Lezlee

Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
    CherryQueen
    (female)

CherryQueen HB User

PLease know that your doctor is NOT the norm, and you can find a caring and compasionate practicioner. My PM doc is the first one I have ever seen, and I was initially very scared and upset to be going, as my GYN made me feel like a junkie and a criminal for asking for medication that helped. Dr. G, my pain doc, is a wonderful person and very compasionate. He not only gives me the medication I need for relief (40 mg Oxycontin 2x a day, with Oxy IR for BT pain), but he always asks how my job search is going and is really happy when I tell him how much my life is improving thanks to being pain-free. The other thing he has done that I really like is that right now, while we're trying to titrate the dosages of my meds (though I think we've hit the jackpot with this current combo) he sees me once a week so that if the meds aren't working well, I don't have to suffer. good luck... there ARE great PM docs out there!

Closed Thread