It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Women on Methadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
    Dame in Pain
    (female)

Dame in Pain HB User
    Exclamation Women on Methadone

Hi readers,
    I have just signed up for this site hoping to get some help with my questions. Here's the deal, I am a 26 year old female who has been on Methadone for close to five years for chronic pain. Recently I have stopped having a menstral cycle. I am also sweating, quite a bit, and am noticing changes with my hair and skin.
    I have studied up on Methadone and found that some women do stop having a cycle but I am more worried about the other symptoms. Have any other women noticed any similar problems? Does Methadone affect estrogen levels?
    I would really appreciate any help with this,
    Thank you,
    Dame in Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
    greeneyed girl
    (female)

greeneyed girl HB User
    Re: Women on Methadone

Dame, I too have been on Methadone for chronic pain for 5 or 6 years. YES It really makes you sweat a lot, I dont really know about the peroids b/c I am 56, but I am on Estrogen and I really do think it effects it strength of it.
    I have have also gained about 20 lbs since I started it,but I prefer the methadone b/c it stays in your system so much longer.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I have been on methadone for chronic pain\addiction for 4 years and have taken opiates for a total of 25 years.I can tell you that with methadone you have to get active.If you are idle alot then you tend to eat alot more than normal and that leads to the weight gain.Also alot of people that get on methadone have been suffering for a long time and are usually under weight.So stay away from the sweets, ice cream,cookies, chocolate ect.For some reason alot of methadone patients crave these sweets,I'm one of the lucky ones as I don't have any symptoms except for low testosterone which I get a shot of every month. Yes methadone can lower your libido and can also make it difficult for both male and female to achieve orgasim.Other then that it's a great drug for chronic pain sufferers or heavy drug abusers with a long history of abuse......Dave

Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

I would just like to reiterate what Dave said as far as weight gain. I have been on Methadone for over three years and haven't gained any weight, because I stay away from the things we all like, but put on the pounds. I was on Prednisone for tumors in my lung about four years ago and I gained 30 pounds over the 18 months I was on it. As soon as I got off the Prednisone, the pounds came off and about six weeks later I was back down to about 160.

Meth is an excellent med for CP sufferers, especially those with nerve problems. The key to having some of the side effects comes down to will power. You eat, you gain!!

Closed Thread