It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Dilaudid questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User
    Question Dilaudid questions

My PM doc is switching me to Dilaudid and I can't start for a couple of days because the pharmacy didn't have in stock. Can anyone tell me the types of side effects I may experience? Have you had good success with this for pain control?

Thanks for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
    mike j
    (male)

mike j HB User
    Re: Dilaudid questions

Charliecat31
    I am on 4 mg of Dilaudid for breakthrough pain. I take it with OxyContin 40 mg three times a day. I am taking with OxyContin .I am also allow to take to three more Dilaudid a day when having difficulty controlling the pain.
    this has been a godsend for me. This combination is excellent together. I can tell you that Dilaudid is excellent for breakthrough. I hope it works good for you. I could not be any happier with this combination. I hope this helps you
    Michael

Old 08-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

Michael
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Do you have any side effects from it?
    Hope you are having a good day

Old 08-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Charlie, Dilauadid "hydromorphone" is in the same family of synthetic opiates as Hydrocodone, oxycodone and oxymorphone. As far as being like something else you tried, it's probably closest to oxycodone. In fact about 20% of oxyCodone is metabolized into hydromorphone. Comon side efects are urinary retention "inability to start flow and empty bladder", constipation, nausea,and flushing.

All opiates are relative in strength to what you have previously taken. Hydromorphone is 3-7 times stronger than morphine but that's why it's not available in large mg pills. The largest is the 8mg pill which would be comparable to 30-45 mgs of oxycodone, or 45-60mgs of morphine.

Personally I think it's similar to oxy in that tolerance can develop rapidly if you use the max amount your prescribed every day for BT pain. Even though a doc may allow us 2, 4, or 8 doses per day, he doesn't expect us to take it whether we need it or not. If you take the same dose every day at the same schedule it just becomes part of your daily regemin, when you do have a flair up or increase in pain, BT meds are no more efective than every other day someone takes the max amount when they aren't having a flair. This is likely where people really go wrong with BT meds.

As far as a pain med, the route of delivery makes a big difference. If I ever had surgery and needed IV meds controled with a PCA machine, I would choose dilaudid over any other med. I have dilaudid in my pump which works as well as anything. But when it comes to BT meds or taking it orally, I was very unimpressed with it's duration and how quicklty tolerance grew. Duration is partly due to a shoter half life than other meds, However continous infusion takes half life out of the equation.

Dilaudid does have a long history of IV drug absue. It's the preferred opiate of IV opiate users due to ease of converting it into injectable material. Be careful who knows what you have in your house. You not only have a drug very desirable among abusers, but among IV abusers attracting an even more dangerosus group of addicts looking to prevent withdrawal because they need that next injection, just like heroin.

When OxyContin was in the headlines because of pockets of abuse the media set the street price by reporting it was selling for a dollar a mg,. Dilaudid has been around long enough to have a well established street price of 10 bucks a mg in every major city in ther US, not just pockets of abuse. I was watching a show about addiction the other day and the addict actually said he switched from oxy to heroin because he couldn't aford the outragous price of oxy and it's nowhere near as potent as pure heroin. But with heroin you never know what you getting. Just be very discreet so you don't become a victim of crime yourself.

You have to remeber this is just my opinion of the effetiveness of oral dilaudid, everyone has an opinion so what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Good luck, Dave

Old 08-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

Dave:
    Thanks for the wonderful info! I really appreciate it

Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

When I had my hysterectomy in March I was in so much pain and nothing worked. Finally as a last ditch effort they gave me dilaudid. Awesome med. I finally had relief. I didn't stay on it long term and have used it since for spinal pain and it works well. I have had NO luck with oxycodone, hydrocodone or percocet. I also love Ultracet. I finally can use it now that my little boy is weaned.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
    mike j
    (male)

mike j HB User

Charliecat31
    sorry I did not get back to you sooner. The only side effect that I got was sweating. I also had some fluid retention but not too bad.
    shoreline gave an excellent information. Thank you Dave for the knowledge you contribute to our lives .

Charliecat31
    let us know how working for you. Good luck and health
    Michael

Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
    agurl79
    (female)

agurl79 HB User

I've been on dilaudid for the past year. I started out at 2mg, and now am up to 4mg every 4 hours as needed. When I was in the hospital recently they were giving me 4mg of dilaudid IV every 2 hours, and although it kept me pretty snowed, it definately did the trick! I have chronic pancreatitis so I have the rest of my life to take narcotics and such.. I'm only 27. I don't get any side effects any more. The pills I take at home don't even make me drowsy anymore. When I first started I was sleepy, had some slowing of my GI tract, and a bit of nausea, but it didn't last very long.
    Hope that helps you some

Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
    Hope4U2
    (male)

Hope4U2 HB User

I'm glad to hear someone say that Dilaudid made them sleepy but that it went away...I just posted about how Dilaudid used in a pain pump results in me getting sleepy, but I've only given this dose a couple of days so far.

Also, just to follow-up on the crime concerns...three days ago, my P.M. doctor advised me not to advertise the fact that I have a pain pump. He went on to tell me that just less than three weeks ago, someone on the West Coast actually stabbed and killed a young lady just so a couple of addicts could get their fix. They stated to police they were looking for Dilaudid. Apparently, that was not the medicine in her pump...in fact, it was something in the family of Novacaine, but way stronger, and one of the killers nearly died from taking it, which actually lead to their arrest.

I can't find this story, so I plan to ask him Monday if I understood him right in that it was just a few weeks ago. Still, while searching, I found some pretty amazing stories along the same lines...I'm obviously naive to all this but this place is helping me learn quickly. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

Holy cow! Too bad the killer didn't die from it. Thanks for the info., if you find the story could you post and let me know? I'd love to read the whole thing.

Thanks again for the help

Closed Thread