It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Botox

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
    scottishmistusa
    (female)

scottishmistusa HB User
    Botox

Hi All I am new this morning I am due for a botox shot on thursday my first one , I am Nervous, I have chronic painin my neck, shoulders. I had surgery 2 years ago. for Chiari1 & Syrinx . i wonder has anyone have any info on this shot ..... I am undecided right now about having it done thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Botox

Hi Miss tusa, My wife has chiari and Botox has reduced her dose from 75 mgs of MSContin 3 times a day to 30 mgs 3 times a day. It's a lifesaver and thank god your insurance will pay for it. There is nothing to be afraid of if you have Chiari malformation. That's much scarrier than the injections. It's really the mildest injections you could ever get and nothing like the way that doc on Nip Tuck slams them into peoples foreheads.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 08-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
    scottishmistusa
    (female)

scottishmistusa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Hi Miss tusa, My wife has chiari and Botox has reduced her dose from 75 mgs of MSContin 3 times a day to 30 mgs 3 times a day. It's a lifesaver and thank god your insurance will pay for it. There is nothing to be afraid of if you have Chiari malformation. That's much scarrier than the injections. It's really the mildest injections you could ever get and nothing like the way that doc on Nip Tuck slams them into peoples foreheads.
    Good luck, Dave
    hey shoreline, thanks ,i had my surgery 2 years ago for the chiari now i am left with chronic pain , has your wife had surgery....

Old 08-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Mis tusa, No she hasn't had the surgery, She probably would have went undiagnosed had she not been in an accident that causee whiplash. She's always had tight neck and shoulders and has several problems like reversed kyphotic curve,headaches, DDD in her neck and a form of MD called Charcot marie tooth.

We did go through a very scarry time where it looked like we would have to have the surgery, after the car accident she started having abscent seizures, not the type of seizure that causes jerking and twithcing, but she would go in to the kitchen to get a drink and after a few minutes I would go to check on her and would find her staring off into space and couldn't get her to snap out of it untill the seizure passed. It was kinda of like watching someone standing asleep with their eyes open. This was happening up to a dozen times a day sometimes during mid sentance or when she simply went to the bathroom. So, I was always following after her when she didn't return from wherever she said she was going to do. It was very freeky and she was completely unaware of what was going on during the seizure and didn't remember having them.

After reading about the surgery, that didn't sound like a great option. Everything we read said to focus on the symptoms the surgery did relieve rather than the ones it didn't. Surgery for Chiari is very iffy and the results varry from person to person. What if any symptoms did your surgery relieve?

Her work was so concerned they fired her for sleeping on the job the day before the chiari was diagnosed. She wasn't asleep, she was just having a type of seizure they had never seen before. Her head would drop and she would zone out for 5-10 minutes and then deny anything happened because she wasn't aware anything had happened. The denial was the funny part when I would find her standing in the dark in the dining room, half way up the stairs in a daze or in la la land while on the toilet. It's hard to convince someone of something they don't remeber.

Fortunately after several ESI's, inflamation was reduced and several other treatment methods were used the seizures stopped and we have been focusing on the neck and shoulder pain. She hasn't had a seizure in almost 2 years. Botox, Occipital blocks and trigger point injections have been very effective at relieveing the neck and shoulder pain. There really is nothing to be scared of with the botox. Another added benefit from botox is the effective treatment of hyper hydrosis. She had a paratoid tumor removed "salivary gland" and they have to clip the nerve that goes to her ear. When she eats something sour, instead of producing saliva, there is a 2 inch by 4 inch patch just in front of her ear that would sweat profusely. So they inject that aree too and it solved that problem. It's really a tiny needle and the only risk is botox migrating to a live nerve in the face and causing temp facial paralysis.

Your doc may or may not use the leftover on your forehead or other areas you might have similar problems with. It's too expensive to waste and since were paying for the vial, our PM doc has no problem relieving the physical problems and using it on her forhead to paralyze those muscles to help prevent tension headaches and reduce frown lines. I can't think of any additional risk other than the same risk of infection from any injection you might have. It's a tiny needle that he uses to deliver small amounts all across the back of her shoulders, the base and down the sides of her neck, her forhead and the side of her face where the nerve was clipped that causes hyperhydrosis. Aside from the bobble head effect... it's great stuff. just kidding

Botox, trigger point injections and occipital blocks have been far more effective than any pain med or muscle relaxer she has ever tried. This is what PM is reallly about, finding the most effective treatment for your problem, Not who has a doc that will prescribe the most dope.
    That statement isn't directed towards you, it's meant for those that think PM is only about opiates and for those that don't understand why their doc may have a problem beginning a life-long opiate dependency when something else may work.

It takes 3-5 days to reach full effect and lasts 3-4 months. Getting insurance to pay was a bear, but with the right DX they did finally approve 4 more treatments over the next 12 months. There is something called Botox B which your doc can prescribe and you pick up at the pharmacy and bring to him to inject that costs about 1/4 of what a bottle of Botox A costs. Should your insurance become a problem and you get similar great results ,it is an option to continue treatment with the Botox B.

Good luck and compared to the surgery, the itsy bitsy shots are nothing and may give you more relief. She can drive herself to and from and go straight back to work after getting 20 tiny injections.
    I hope it's as effective for you as it has been for my wife.
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-15-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

abscent seizures, not the type of seizure that causes jerking and twithcing, but she would go in to the kitchen to get a drink and after a few minutes I would go to check on her and would find her staring off into space and couldn't get her to snap out of it untill the seizure passed. It was kinda of like watching someone standing asleep with their eyes open. This was happening up to a dozen times a day sometimes during mid sentance or when she simply went to the bathroom. So, I was always following after her when she didn't return from wherever she said she was going to do. It was very freeky and she was completely unaware of what was going on during the seizure and didn't remember having them.

My hubby used to have those types of seizures.

I have the same problem with ddd in my neck (or djd...can't remember right now) and major problems with muscle spasms in neck/shoulders. I had a massage last month and it caused a migraine. (well - m igraine was next day - not sure if it was that or stress from going to MIL"s house...hahahah)

Original poster- do a search on the botox cause someone else came on here and got them - I believe she posted the results from hers....

Last edited by curiousforever; 08-15-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
    scottishmistusa
    (female)

scottishmistusa HB User
    Talking Re: Botox

Hey There SL, well my Chiari was getting pretty Serious ,I lost a lot of weight went down to 109, didn't really realise that i was loosing it , my legs were Bruised from top to toe, my motor skills were bad, I would walk into walls, always stumbling, i was lucky if it had been left i would probably be not walking so well.. I have had all the shots they have all failed this is my last one the botox, so next step after this is a spinal stimulater I am left with chronic pain ,this week is bad for me pain seems to be worse. i have been on differant meds now i am on tramadol. i was on one of the good ones Neurontin.. but the side effects got bad one in particular, i couldnt remember things , worst one was i was driving and didn't remember what side of the road to be on.. that was scarry...I still have memory probs i dont know if will be permanent I know I dont have it as bad as your wife, but bad enough... I too lost my job but it was after my leave was extended now I sit at home testing my self to see if I am getting better ... have you thought about the chiari institute i hear it's good.. if you wanna talk I am sugarbooger91 i hope your wife see's some releif in the future takecare to you both...

Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Scottish mist, I finaly got the name. LOL
    Actually my wife is doing well, She's off the anto seizure meds and back at work. She didn't have a syrynx and honestly what your eperiencing now sounds worse than the abscent seizures. We may have never found out about the chairi had she not bee in the MVA and she had gotten whip-lash. I think it just took time to get over the effects of the whiplash which agrivated the chiari. Jerking the brain down into the skull if you have this malformation can't be good for the patient.

We had nicnames for the antiseizures too, Neurontin was morontin and Toppamax was doppamax. I always found it strange that docs were wiling to send you off to la la land with anti seizure meds but heaven forbid they prescribe pain meds. This was before the big pain med boom. She is doing much better and the injections do seem to help. There are also different techniques for giving some injections, specifically trigger point injections. Anyone can learn needle placement and pepper a large area with lots of numbing agent, but finding the right doc that has that touch to nail each spot makes a huige difference. I have had dozens of TP's from at least a half dozen docs and there are many different techniques, some were toltally useless and some were very beneficial. It seemed to depend more on the doc doing it. Some docs even think it;'s simply the nedling that breaks up the TP or spasm and work a needle all through a san area that's rigid or tihght. Not alot of fun or effective in my book.

You may find that TP injections may help better in conjunction with the botox, but everyone is different. I wouldn't write off the idea of TP injections if only one doc has done them and they were not effective.

Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-15-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
    scottishmistusa
    (female)

scottishmistusa HB User

well i know how i will feel after thursday like doodoo as usual for a few days but well weshall see how it goes take care ...

Closed Thread