It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I'm Alive... Some Questions About Nerve Blocks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User
    Question I'm Alive... Some Questions About Nerve Blocks

Hi everyone.

I hope all of you are doing better and getting answers. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I haven't made much progress with diagnosing the source of my pain. My surgery in May to release my pec minor to help with the mild brachial plexus impingement I have didn't help...

My pain management doctor wanted to recently give me a nerve block in my neck (c5-6 or about there) to see if it helps my shoulder/neck/arm/scapula pain. I wish I could find out the reason for all of this 24/7 pain. There HAS to be something wrong inside of me.

I had cervice MRIs in 2003 and 2005 which showed some things going on... but nothing definite. I'm beginning to think MRIs are useless unless you have a tumor the size of Chicago in there or your vertebrates are completely compressed...

Before giving me the nerve block she decided to order a thoracic MRI. Well, they did C2 - downward to T10 - which is OK, but the MRI was pretty useless because of something called CFS motion artifacts. Which is motion of cerebralspinal fluid. Soooo, the cervical report said "unremarkable" for everything.

PM then goes on about the appointment and I'm like "What about trying the nerve block you suggested last time?" She hated to say it but was like "Your insurance won't cover it probably because of no diagnostic reason for it other than pain." Now, I was like "Oh, come on...." I have EMGs and MRIs that say there IS something there. Reports which she didnt have or than a small reference in the ortho's notes that referred me to her. Sooo, I dragged my butt back home, dug out 2 EMGs and 2 cervical MRIs that DID have comments about my cervical spine and questionable nerve problems. Highlighted ALL the stuff that suggested something wrong here, something wrong there... yada, yada and took it immediately back to her office.

She is going to use those results to order the nerve block. I know the nerve block wears off. But, at least it might give me a little more information on what's wrong and where, hopefully.

I'm a little nervous about a needle going close to my spine. But, I HAVE to do something. I am beginning to think my PM is starting to doubt me and lose interest in me and just handind out the scripts... tired lyrica (made me sick). She recently gave me topamax which I havent started yet.

The block is scheduled next Wednesday. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that's had something like this done.

I need to come back more often and post to your threads. I know how much support means to people in pain.

Have missed you.

Last edited by theweaver2; 08-24-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread