It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Difference between Oxycontin and Percocet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
    jarin1988
    (female)

jarin1988 HB User
    Re: Oxycontin Questions Please help

I would like to know what is the difference between percocet and oxyCODONE? I only have about 5 more percocet, but I am still in alot of pain. I am also on methadone 120mg a day. First of all, does it matter that I crush up my medicine and put it through my feeding tube? I lost my stomach due to ulcers. The pharmacist said it shouldn't matter, but I still don't feel like I get the full effect. This is all very annoying and not fair!! anyone out there know??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
    Suzy-Q
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suzy-Q HB User
    Re: Difference between Oxycontin and Percocet?

Hello Jarin -
    I really can't tell you about the grinding up of the pills. But I can tell you that percocet contains Tylenol and oxy where the oxycodone does not. It is really important because dosing for percocet is very time limited to prevent overdosing on Tylenol and possible liver damage. That's what I know. best of luck - Suzy-Q

Old 09-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
    chebird
    (female)

chebird HB User

DO NOT grind up the oxycontin. It is a sustained released medicine, and you could gettoo much into your system at once. Please call a pharmacist for advise. God bless you, and may you find relief.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Percocet is Oxycodone and Tylenol while Oxycontin is a sustained release Oxycodone only.You can crush the percocets but not the oxycontin.....Dave

Old 09-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Both percocet,and oxycotin have the same opiot in them,oxycodone.The difference is,oxycotin is time-released,and doesn't have the tylonol,percocet has the tylolnol and is not time-released.Now there is a med. called oxycodone I.R[imediate release] it comes in 5-15-30mg It doesn't have the tylonol and is not time-released.Like dave mentioned,with oxycotin,it is dangerous to crush,chew etc. this will destroy the time-release,and it will release all the oxycodone at once.My understanding,for example,if you had a 20mg oxycodone,the way it works is,the first hr. it releases 10mg of oxycodone,and the other 10 mg. on the 6th hr.I take oxycotinand besides myself,many others have complained it doesn't last the 12 hrs. the maker of this drug[perdue] says it does.

Last edited by madhatter; 09-03-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
    Lavender Lady
    (female)

Lavender Lady HB User
    Re: Oxycontin Questions Please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarin1988 View Post
    I would like to know what is the difference between percocet and oxyCODONE? I only have about 5 more percocet, but I am still in alot of pain. I am also on methadone 120mg a day. First of all, does it matter that I crush up my medicine and put it through my feeding tube? I lost my stomach due to ulcers. The pharmacist said it shouldn't matter, but I still don't feel like I get the full effect. This is all very annoying and not fair!! anyone out there know??
    The only difference between Percocet & Oxycodone is that Percocet has Tylenol also. It sounds like you've built up a tolerance, which is probably the reason you're not getting relief. Of course, that's how people overdose--they keep taking more to get the effect needed until it's just too much. Is your feeding tube going to the duodenum or jejunum? Regardless, the med still has to be absorbed & you should still be getting the effects of the med. But, some people with tubes to the jejunum tend to have diarrhea which makes me think that things aren't absorbed as well here & pass through quicker. What does your doc think? Hope this was helpful & so sorry about your situation.

Closed Thread