HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Lyrica dosage: my doctor has not put me on a schedule for increasing the dose. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/426273-lyrica-dosage-my-doctor-has-not-put-me-schedule-increasing-dose.html)

sealover 09-07-2006 12:53 AM

Lyrica dosage: my doctor has not put me on a schedule for increasing the dose.

Background: I have bone and nerve pain in my foot every day, however, the pain is not always present as it subsides with sleep and resting the foot for a while. My foot has been in pain for about 3 years, and I have been to many doctors but have not received much help.

Lyrica dosage: Is 100 mg of Lyrica per day considered a small dose for pain? What is considered a therapeutic dose? How do you properly reach a therapeutic level? I am surprised that my doctor has never instructed me on how to properly increase the dose of Lyrica to reach a level of the med that is beneficial. He started me at 25 mg per day and told me he wanted to keep me at that dose. He finally agreed to increase the dose, but it's been a while and I have not been told to increase the dose again, even though I still complain of not feeling that the dose I'm on is helping.

Maybe Lyrica is not the right med for my type of pain. I don't know.

I'm going to have to find a new doctor right away because the one I've had for the past year has done nothing. He even wrote in my records on various occasions that he's examined my foot when he never examined it at all on those visits...and I have a witness. He always stands across the room during my visit.

Thank you for any help.

moviestr_20 09-07-2006 04:46 PM

Re: Lyrica dosage: my doctor has not put me on a schedule for increasing the dose.

I don't know what to say except I'm on this med for my neuropathy pain. I'm on 50mg twice a day (100mg per day like you) and it helps. It prevents me from having the "feet on fire, swelling, stinging" feeling.

If you're not having relief (no pain, swelling), then maybe you might need to consider a different med or an increase. I'm not sure what to tell you, but I do know that if you're concerned...talk to your doctor, he/she can tell/help you with your concerns.

jen

Backinthesaddle 09-07-2006 06:39 PM

Re: Lyrica dosage: my doctor has not put me on a schedule for increasing the dose.

I am on 75mg 2x a day and I thought that was a starting out dose but I guess not. I have nerve pain in both arms to hands and fingers. I have only been on it for a week and am seeing or should I say feeling improvement. I never thought of what dosages there was. I would be interested too.

Mcgirl 09-09-2006 07:52 PM

I am on 300 mg 2x a day and 50mg 1x a day. My doc said this is a very high dose. Unfortunately I have such a tolerance for all meds. When I get knocked out for a surgery the anesthesiologist always comments on how tolerant I am.

moviestr_20 09-11-2006 01:35 PM

From what I was told...Lyrica was made for those who also have neuropathy pain. It's a pain meds made for those who has Peripheral Neuropathy. But I guess they're using that as pain meds too as well.
Just be careful because sometimes it'll trigger you to end up having neuropathy issues as well.

t'care and hope your doc is on top of your medications.

as for the person who thought 75mg was the starting out dosage, it isn't...25mg is, then 50, then 75, then 100.

I'm on 50mg becuase I also have Fentanyl Patches (durestic), and Lidoderm Patches AND dilaudid liquid form (1mg/1ml-- 5ml every 4 hrs).

jen

sealover 09-11-2006 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=moviestr_20]Just be careful because sometimes it'll trigger you to end up having neuropathy issues as well.

jen[/QUOTE]

Is this true? Can Lyrica possibly cause neuropathy as a side effect? Is this side effect temporary or permanent? I really need to know about this.

Thanks.

Mcgirl 09-15-2006 10:38 PM

I don't know if it can cause it but it has helped my neuropathy tremendously...my PM doc also suggested that I take Naproxsn (sp?) Sodium (Aleve) a few times a day along with my Lyrica and Percocet. I'll tell you adding that to my drug cocktail has helped me more than anything I have done for the past five years. I guess there is new research out that suggests Aleve is good for controling nerve pain. I suggest you ask your docs about this.

Blasterboy 09-16-2006 01:48 AM

[QUOTE]Just be careful because sometimes it'll trigger you to end up having neuropathy issues as well.[/QUOTE]

I wonder where you got this information from, I've searched the Lyrica information website etc and I've not come across this???

Anyhow to answer the posters question as I'd shown a good tolerance to this type of med before (having been on Neruotin etc) a starting dose for me was 75mg a dose for 3 days, raising 75mg every 3 days until on 300mg. I managed this without much problem, although it makes me sleepy during the day and sometimes if I've got nothing important to do, I can sit down at any chair and all of a sudden an hour has passed lol.... Not an unusual occurrence on Lyrica!

I now take 600mg of Lyrica; I believe this to be the maximum therapeutic dose currently (no doubt this will double over the years,) and I take another anti seizure drug called Topamax at its maximum dose of 400mg. I'm finding that this mix is starting to be helpful and is allowing me to really reduce me Klonopin dosage (which I really want to do, was on 3mg a day, now down to 1.5mg and hoping to get lower.)