It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• High Pain Levels And High Cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User
    Question High Pain Levels And High Cholesterol

OK - this may seem a strange question but it may connect with someone.

My lipid panel used to fantastic. Doctors would beam at me. Until my pain started... and went untreated month after month after month. My cholesterol started to get high. Couple years into UNTREATED pain, my cholesterol soared.

In March of 2006, I finally started 20mg of Oxycontin twice a day, which lowered my pain limits to within acceptable limits in over 3 years for me. It was a miracle I still haven't gotten a diagnosis for the cause of my pain and I have a couple surgeries under my belt already too, but am still searching, although I know I am becoming tolerant to my 20mg dose as I need breakthru meds daily and my pain levels are again staying at a high level this past couple months.

That was just a quick background on my cholesterol and pain levels for past 3 years. I had my cholesterol checked in August of this year after an approximately 3 month fairly controlled break from pain in almost 3 years. OMG My cholesterol was again in the unbelievable range of 174 and other way below average levels. I was in shock because based on my last cholesterol reading in July 2005 after 2 and half years of uncontrolled pain my cholesterol was 287.

Could the sheer fact that I had uncontrolled pain have unnaturally affected my cholesterol readings like that? and bring my pain down for a few months bring it back under control?

stranger things happen when our bodies are so out of whack from pain.

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
    Hope4U2
    (male)

Hope4U2 HB User
    Re: High Pain Levels And High Cholesterol

How strange that you bring this up, as I had never connected the two, and there may be no connection, but...

I was misdiagnosed as a Type 1/brittle diabetic back in 2001, and this condition set in over a matter of several days. After getting admitted into the hospital with a sugar level over 1000 and nearly unconscious, the doctors starting pumping me full of insulin immediately. Family doctor kept me in there 10 days and just continued the regiment. Two weeks after discharge, he gave up and referred me to an Endocrinoligist, who was to see me in a month. Meantime, I had a flare-up of Crohn's, and my Gastro doc said my story made no sense at all, and asked if they had done a thin slice MRI of my pancreas. They had not. For my Crohn's, he put me on heavy antibiotics. By the time I got to see the Endo doc, my sugars were going low all the time and my insulin regiment was all over the map. He told me that I probably had an infection in my pancreas that caused the initial problem, and then finally got antibiotics which could have fixed it. Did an MRI on the pancreas and confirmed that's what happened, some damage done, but to stop insulin and see what happens. Sugars stabilized for a while. Six months later, terrible car accident, many back problems and surgeries, and now I'm full-blown diabetic.

To your point, my cholesterol and triglycerides have been out of site, after being normal for 15 years, since late 2001. Always figured it was due to having the bizarre diabetes. Just had some bloodwork done, though, and for the first time since early 2001, EVERYTHING came back normal, even my liver enzymes. I thought that was due to better sugar control, but really, my A1C was not much different.

Then I saw your post. My pain level has been tremendously reduced over the last 6 weeks. Even before that, I was mostly at rest each day on medical leave for several months. I had not gotten a cholesterol reading under 300 nor a triyglyceride reading under 500 in 5 years. This time, quite unexpectedly, all was in range. I've never thought of this before, but yes, I do remember hearing that bloodwork results (in general) can be skewed or worsened due to severe, chronic pain. My sugars are also much more consistent after the pain relief. I think it's safe to say that CP does a number on you in many ways, at the very least. As for the cholesterol connection, dunno, but I plan to ask about it now. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

Good point

I noticed when sed rate high pain high and i missed a dose of pain meds if i have a blood test near or about that time my levels are through the roof as well.'
    Even though most of my sugar levels are in controll when pain is rapid the sugar levels are off too.
    Endro said consicdence, however my nerologist says he beleives it is all connected. When imflamation is high pain levels high it gets everything out of whack including the nerve endings which contribute to messing up that ugly stew pot of crud

Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I have never had my cholesteral levels change with pain but my blood pressure certianly does.

I am wondering are you on any other medication other than your pain medications? I was on an anti-depressant called Remmeron which actually blew my cholesteral levels out of the water. It was so high I had to be put on medication. I never had problems with high cholesteral until I took that medication and even though I am not on that medication anymore I still am struggling. My diet is fine, I don't eat much with cholesteral in it and when I do it's quite rare, maybe every few weeks tops so I do know that's not my issue either.

At any rate, hopefully you find the cause. If they do put you on Cholesteral medication be sure to get one that has the least amount of side effects. There are several out there that I had complications with in the sense that they caused severe arm and leg pain. We suffer enough already, we don't need to take a pill to add more pain

Barbie

Closed Thread