It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Discogram:what to expect after procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User
    Discogram:what to expect after procedure

Im having a discogram/ct scan tomorrow on 4 levels.
    I expect 2 levels to be positive based on my MRI a few months ago.

Will i be in alot of pain the next 2 days?
    Is just taking the next day off from work going to be enough?

Ive never had discography done so i really dont know what to expect.
    I do have to stay home with my daughter the next day and take her to nursery school which will give me 3 hrs to rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
    wout
    Inactive
    (male)

wout HB User
    Re: Discogram:what to expect after procedure

Hi Scotty
    From what I can remember, you will be pretty sore the same day. They will give you something for pain afterwards. I had L1-S1 done with L2-L5 bad. It was very uncomfortable and very painful. Not to worry, soon after it's all over you will look back and forget all about it.

Good luck with the test. I'm having another one done next week. But only L1-2 L5-S1. So hopefully mine wont be as bad as the first one.

Tim

Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
    wout
    Inactive
    (male)

wout HB User

A ?? for you. Why are you have both test done on the same day.?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
    scrapper1
    (female)

scrapper1 HB User

I just had it done on the 18th. It is very painful during the time they are doing it but I didn't really have a bad reaction afterwards. I did send my son to daycare all week so that I could rest and not have to do a lot of heavy lifting.

The reason the do them both on the same day is so that they can tell whether or not the disk leaks any fluid. They do the CT scan afterwards to confirm if there are any tears in the disks.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
    charliecat31
    Veteran
    (female)

charliecat31 HB User

I've had two discograms (both with sedation) and both were different experiences. The first I don't really remember much at all and it was positive at 2 levels. The second I remember very clearly and it was positive at 3 levels. Will your doctor be using any sedation for you? Some doctors do it with the patient completely awake and others use versed and put you in a "twighlight" - not completely awake and not completely asleep. You have to be awake enough to talk to them and be able to answer questions

Everyone is different with pain afterwards. If the test is negative you won't have any pain after. But if it's positive you could have some increase in your normal pain - this can last from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks. One of the best ways to get yourself feeling better is to drink as much fluids as you possibly can. The more you drink the more you'll flush the dye out of your system and this is what is causing the increase in pain. I also found putting ice on the area to be helpful.

Hope this helps and Hope things go well!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

Thanks for the replies

I guess they do the CT scan right after because you already have the dye.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
    scrapper1
    (female)

scrapper1 HB User

Scotty-Just to clarify...my discogram was positive I have two herniated discs l4-l5 (causing pain) and l5-s1 which isn't causing pain. I also have tears in both discs. I will be finding out on Wednesday what my next step will be. I only mentioned this because an earlier post stated you will have extra pain afterwards if it is positive. I think it varies with each individual. Maybe because I iced and drank water the very first couple of hours, I was fine. I was also developing bronchitis so maybe that was why I didn't feel the extra pain. No matter...it is an excellant test and as many people on this board will tell you, it is so worth every ounce of pain. I felt validated afterwards...I am sure a lot of people will know what I mean when I say this...Before the test I wondered if this was all in my head? A way to get sympathy? Attention? I mean I knew I was in a lot of pain but maybe it was all in my head. The test spoke a thousand words and put me at ease. It also helped in confirming with my family why I am on pain medicine. They were getting worried...Anyway, enough about me...I wish you luck on your test. It is a double edge sword...you want it to be positive (so you know how to fix it) but you don't want the pain.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
    coastline
    (male)

coastline HB User

I had the dreaded discogram ordered by my neurologist several years ago. He seemed hesitant to put me through this test but with what he wasn't seeing with the MRI's etc.he wanted this test prior to surgery. He told me that this test was like an A/B comparison test in order for you to let the nurse and doctor know that performs the test which needle is more painful, as they lay you on your stomach (they didn't numb me because this is a comparison test where you have to be able to differenciate in pain levels. It is very important to be able to fully recongnize the difference in pain levels from the insertion of one needle in one location from the other insertion of the needle into the second location (One location will be a good disc, and the other will be the one that they suspect to be bad or at least that was my explanation that I was given). The first needle (which is a coctail of medicines including a dye) is extremely long as they insert it into your disk I believe. I thought I went through the freaking roof on the first needle but it was tolerable as I have a pretty high tolerence to pain and was determined to get this test done. The second needle they inserted I did go through the FREAKING ROOF, the difference in the TWO SHOTS WERE SO DIFFERENT IN PAIN LEVELS. The second shot was unberable I got just about to where they were in the first test and on the second shot their was NO WAY that I could TOLERATE THE PAIN. IT was that distictive of a test. The nurse that was at my head holding my hands tried her best to comfort me during the whole procedure,BTW which isn't but about 30 minutes except for the CT scan afterwards.They do the scan to examine and look at the dye that they inserted. I was sore after the test and was told to have bedrest the rest of the day, and I do remember being somewhat sore after the test but nothing really bad. After the test I was scheduled for spinal fusion in L5/S1. They took bone off of my hip to put in the cage with pedicle screws and titanium plates. The donor site (hip) got really infected after I came home from the hospital after 5 days in the hospital. I had to go back after only being home for 2 days and I was put to sleep and they cut back open my hip, cleaned it all out surgically and sewed me back up with a drain in it. It eventually healed up, looks like I was shot thier with a .38 caliber bullet. The surgery never took care of my pain, it only worstened it, and now my hip hurt as bad as my back did. I got on strong acting (LA) opiates,muscle relaxers,etc for 4 years and they eventually became ineffective within a 1 1/2 years. I now have a Codman Morphine pump that has given me back 50% of my life and take a breakthrough pain med as necessary but I try not to very often as my doctor told me that the morpine in the pump has to compete with the oral meds for the receptors on the spine to block the pain that goes to your brain, so it is the best if you have a pump to only take the orals AS NECESSARY. I hope this helps you out, and good luck, it is an uphill battle with pain. Jeff John 3:16 KJV

Old 10-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

I had it done and im glad i did.
    It turns out that most of my pain is coming from my L4-L5 disc above the spondylolisthesis.
    The test was painfull but only when they did the last 2 discs.
    The radiologist looked at my mri when he first walked in the room and said"My God,do you need surgery"

So it looks like a fusion from L4-S1 which i expected anyway.My L4-L5 disc look terribly degenerated on the mri,but i always thought most of the back pain was from the instability below.

I will see the surgeon in a few weeks and set a date.
    Ive put it off long enough and although my pain dr advises me not to have the surgery I have to.
    If there is a chance i can have less pain live without pain meds ,even if its only for 10 years then im willing to take the chance.

Closed Thread