It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• I dont see many on this board using Methadone... why is that?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User
    Question I dont see many on this board using Methadone... why is that?

My doctor switched me from Oxycontin to Methadone. He said with my chronic 24 hour pain that methadone would stay in my system longer thus allowing more relief.

He also is allowing me to medicate 3x a day which is great. I can often space these three times out to address my pain when it is bad. Some days I need to do it after 4 hours, but this is good if I don't take my first one until late in the morning when I sleep in.

I like the idea of taking meds 3x a day.

However, the methadone seems to make me very groggy. I'm only using 5mg (or at times 1/2 that pill) which I assume is the smallest dose. Sometimes it doesnt cover the pain, other times 1/2 tablet is enough. Maybe its the way my body is metabolizing it, maybe its my pain breaking through.

All I know is that when taking Oxycontin I never had any grogginess. I am also trying to build up taking lyrica and am now at 50mg 3x a day which isn't much from what I hear.

I just know I HATE this braindeadness. I used to be able to think lol, even while I was on drugs. Now, I feel disconnected.

Not sure whether it is methadone or lyrica. Anyone out there have any feedback for me?

Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: I dont see many on this board using Methadone... why is that?

The reason you just described is why many people are not on Methadone.

I was put on it last year, 90mg because I was having severe nausea from the morphine. I was great the first week, I had no pain, but when week two hit I couldn't stay awake. I would fall asleep without notice. I couldn't even drive my car for fear of falling asleep. I was in a complete brain fog and my motor skills and speach were heavily impaired. I had a fairly large list of side effects as I actually tracked them to let the doctor know.

In addition to the groggyness, I had severe urinary retention. I have mild retention with Morphine, but the Methadone was horrendous, I was lucky to urinate a few times a day.

Chances are my dosage was too high to be started on but none the less the side effects were so severe I just couldn't handle it. It was fantastic for pain relief however.

It seems that about half of the individuals who try methadone have similiar experiences and can not tolerate it, while the other half do not have the problems at all which is great.

I would give it a few weeks at least to see if your side effects subside. You are on a fairly low dose. If the Methadone doesn't work out you could try Morphine if you haven't tried it yet. I find the biggest problem with the Morphine is nausea and constipation but medication for both have solved my problems. Another problem I have with it is that it causes severe insomnia at times. You can take morphine 3 times a day as well but of course the half life is no where near what methadone is.

Good luck!
    Barbie

Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Barbie: There are alot more people taking Methadone for CP than you probably realize. It is fast becoming the med to deal with CP (especially nerve pain) when the patient is going to be on medication for long periods of time. Doctors are starting to realize it isn't just a drug used for detoxing and is a valuable med for treating CP.

I think Barb's (Kissa) experience with Methadone was one of her doctor not knowing how to introduce her to the med. 90 mg a day of Meth to start is something I've never heard of, for even a patient such as myself. I was on high doses of other meds and my doctor started me at 10 mg. TID. The 90 mg would be approximately three times the normal starting dose for an opiate tolerant patient. I have become use to the drug and have titrated up to 180mg a day. It does take some time however. The reason Barb started having problems the second week, is that by the 5th day, the Methadone starts building up in your system and each day you will retain some of the med from prior days. This is due to the long half life of Methadone.

I have to tell you though, I still do suffer from a couple side effects from the med and I have been on it for over three years. Driving long distances is very difficult. You get the nods when you are doing non-stimulating activities. I also have problems reading and watching TV. As far as driving, if it a trip I have to drive, I will take a minimum dose (just enough to keep the withdrawals at bay) until we reach our destination. As far as the other side effects, I just live with them.

I hope this has answered some of your questions. Just remember, by the end of the 5th day, you no longer have 30 mgs. (or whatever your dose is) in your system, but the Meth starts to build on it's self and you have more than you take each day.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Thanks for your replies guys !!!

Perhaps it is the meth making me groggy. I am having problems adjusting the dose between 2.5 mg and 5mg - some days I need the whole pill each dose, others I can get by with the 2.5... didn't realizle it took 5 days to reach its level. It's going to take some gettng used to I guess, but it does seem to work well as the type of pain I have mostly is nerve pain.

Combined with the Lyrica, which also causes dizziness and fatigue, maybe its just too much.

I'm going to ask doc if I can stop the Lyrica as Im only using 50mg 3x day and I know 300mg is the usual medicinal dose and I don't know if I can make it that high w/o going comotose lol

Thanks for your feedback.

barb

Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Give the methadone time,once you get used to it you should be able to function quite well.I was on every opiate known for 22 years before I got on methadone 4 years ago.I take it for chronic pain and addiction.It has helped turn my life around.I could never get the pain control I needed as I would build tolerances so quickly to whatever I was taking that I would end up abusing it.When I started methadone I had been taking 3,000mgs of morphine a day.Talk about big time depression from all that morphine.The methadone took all the depression away,I put on some much needed weight and I have gone back to work part time.Up here in Canada it still isn't used much for chronic pain as the stigma keeps doctors from ordering it.I take 300mgs a day and I live as normal a life as I ever have.The big problem with methadone is ignorance.People don't understand how powerful it is and that it has a long half life.Because of the long half life you don't get that euphoric rush that alot of addicts look for so what happens is they take some more and so on and so on.They go to bed and end up dieing of respitory failure.The other problem is methadone and benzodiazepine do not mix well as they both can cause respitory failure.So there is a huge stigma that has to be overcome not only to the general public but to many doctors as well.If it's used properly it's a wonderful pain killer that is extremely hard to build a tolerance to.I have actually come down from 400 mgs to 300mgs/day in the last year......Hope that helps....Dave

Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Thanks Dave,

I'm finding a lot of information on methadone. Seems like it does have a stigma, like most narcotics do...

It is working quite well for me on a 2.5/5mg dose 3x a day. I think I am just getting used to it as it has only been a week.

The thing with me is that my use is need for chronic pain. I really don't understand the HIGH people talk about when using narcotics such as oxycontin and methadone.

I have never felt eurphoic taking anything... I just want relief from pain. It's too bad that when someone is in chronic pain they cant just go to the doctor and get pain relief with narcotics if need be.

My pain may be Central Nervous System Pain Syndrome. Sooo, I am hoping that getting rid of my pain for several months will just allow my body's nervous system to "relax" and get normal again.

I feellike I will always need something, but it sure isnt to get the high feeling so many talk about.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I learn a lot from this board. It's the people using the drugs and living the pain that always has the best information for me.

Barb

The Following User Says Thank You to theweaver2 For This Useful Post:
    BeachBoy805 (06-08-2012)
    Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My Doctor had me on Hydrocodone for years and then he started doing injections in my back. Well after a while, he seen that the injections was not working. Well he put me on Methadone. All I would do id dit in my chair and go to sleep. After a while I started being mean to my Husband, son or just anybody that was round me. The next visit I made to my Doctor, my Husnamd went in the office with me and told the Doctor that the Methadone made me mean and for him not to give it to me again. So he didn't. He put me back on Hydrocodone and said that the only option I had then was a Morphine Pump. I never went back to that Doctor again because I was afraid of what it might do to me.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

everyone reacts differently to medications.

I'm very groggy right now. It's like sleepiness but I'm not tired. It's more like I'm half here and not quick witted.

It may be they lyrical also. They make me feel half stupid also and Im not taking that much.

I'm dealing with these drugs because my pain has been reduced almost completely. I still need to adjust.

Hope you find something that agrees with you.

Barb

Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #9
    Sick of Hurting
    (male)

Sick of Hurting HB User

Hi Barbie,

My husband has been on methadone for about 4 months now. He was taking 180 mg of oxycotin a day and now he is taking 80 mg of methadone a day. He was started on 20 mg a day and increased every month. He had the same problem of being sleepy, he is also on lyrica 300 mg a day. He still get sleepy but not as bad, and the pain relief is so much better, his mood is better too.

I was wondering if you have ask your doctor about not taking the lyrica yet and if so what was the response?

Thanks,

Wife

Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Hi Wife,

I'm glad your husband is getting some relief. Methadone has a history of being used to help street addicts withdraw. Not a good reputation... but none of the narcotics seem to have a good rep.

I have heard a lot of good things about Lyrica but its side effects are hard on people. The therapeutic dose starts at 300 I believe and I am only on 150 and fell like an airhead most of the time. Maybe it will pass.

The methadone is helping so much with my pain that I don't know how much the Lyrica is helping. My doctor also wants to start me on an antidepressant for pain and situational depression.

Although, if I feel less pain, I am a happy, functional person. I think the antideprssant is to help the pain...

I hope your husband continues to do well.

Barb (not the "ie" one lol)

Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
    couchtator
    (female)

couchtator HB User
    Smile Re: I dont see many on this board using Methadone... why is that?

I have been on methadone for 10 years and was on other narcotics before then. Yes, you do get sleepy with methadone or at least I did but the side affects do get better. I still get drowsy but not like i used to. The pain relief is 80-100% most days for me. It has worked so well for that so I have tried to live with the drowsiness. Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

ty for reply couch... it has worked pretty well for me so far at the 5mg 3x day dose. I am hoping this isnt a drug you get used to easily.

I will also tolerate some of the sleepiness if it helps this much. I am also taking another drug that can cause sleepiness. Maybe the combo is too much for me.

I'm glad you are finding so much relief with the meth. So far, from what I've heard, it works well for many.

Barb

Old 10-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
    redbullwings
    (female)

redbullwings HB User

Hello I have been taking Methadone for 2 months now. my doctor started me out on 10 mg 3 times per day, but I couldn't stop throwing up when I took it .so my doctor droped it to 5 mg 3 times per day. I can say it has helped me with controling the pain for longer periods of time. As long as I take a pill before the pain is out of control. I also take percocet between. I was skeptical about taking Methadone when my doctor first persrcibed it to me.Because I had to take it on a schedual, and If I had take it 3 times per day, would I get addicted to it. Where the other pain pills I can take when I can't handle the pain, and they start working within 45 mins. Not Methadone if your already in alot of pain, then it is like eating candy. Does nothing to help. jen

Old 10-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

One more vote for Methadone from me! I've been taking it for a little over a year now after having been on most of the other opioide drugs at some point in my pain history. It has been the only drug that has given me consistent relief without the "euphoria" that went along with the other narcotics that I had taken. The initial sleepiness and "nodding off" feelings have pretty much gone away, although I still have to pay extra attention when I'm driving long distances or while doing anything that is monotonous (watching TV..., reading, listening to my husband...just kidding). I still have 30mg. of oxycodone that I can take for breakthrough pain up to 4 pills per day. But I don't really have to reach for the oxy very often. So those are my thoughts about Methadone. I hope that you can stick with it a little longer to give it a real fair chance. It does take some time to get used to it. All the best - KathyMac

Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Wow.... with all the "relief" stories I've seen posted here from people who are using meth and getting great results, I don't see why more don't use it.

You are correct in that it doesnt give the immediate relief some pain pills do, but the long term relief for people in 24 hour pain seems to be what it treats best.

I havne't had to use break thru meds at the 5mg 3x day dose. Perhaps I can see if I can take a little higher dose and make it work to where I only have to take it twice a day. Would make dosing a lot easier.

As for the sleepiness... I don't mind it as a trade-off for the high levels of pain I had. Fortunately, I don't work and I'm hoping I can adjust my meds so I won't feel this lethargic feeling. It's been nearly 2 weeks and I see my doctor next tuesday. I hope he lets me adjust a bit longer before adding anymore drugs to my system.

thanks for all the feedback about meth... I wish you all continued pain relief !!

Barb

Closed Thread