It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• anyone taking Lyrica?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User
    anyone taking Lyrica?

I started this med 2 weeks ago for leg pain and ive had excellent relief from leg pain and back pain.Ive been able to take less morphine since starting the Lyrica.

My problem is that it really does make feel "doped up" during the day and also very tired in the morning.

can anyone share their experience with this med?

I think if the side effects diminish i would be able to cut my morphine dose even more but ive had a hard time increasing the dose as my doc prescribed.
    im currently taking 150mg a day (75mg BID) and i am supposed to be increasing to 300mg (150mg BID) but i just cant function normally when i try and increase.

I know Lyrica is an Anti-Seizure med and many have had good results with this class of meds for treating chronic pain.

I thought id be having surgery next month but after my discogram the surgeon did not want to do the surgery.The leg pain has been awful and the surgeon cant do a decompression without a multi level fusion which he
    strongly reccomends i avoid.
    Thats the reason i started this med, to help the leg pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User
    Re: anyone taking Lyrica?

I felt drunk for a few days afterward.

For me, neurontin works better than lyrica.

Cymbalta also helps quite a bit for me.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
    needaplan
    (female)

needaplan HB User

I have been taking Lyrica since May for nerve damage in my dominant arm. Before the Lyrica, the pain was at a 7-8 every day, at night screaming to 10+. After the Lyrica, the pain dropped to a steady 3-4, with some break-through episodes. As the nerve issues worsened (and muscle wasting started), I added Tramadol to the mix, but without the Lyrica, the Tramadol didn't work as well.

So basically, the Lyrica gave me my life back.

However, it did take my body about 2 weeks to acclimate to this drug. I was taking 100mg 3X/day (300mg), but I have dropped back to 75mg 3X/day.

I will say this: this drug has not been out a long time... about 2 years, I think. As such, doctors don't have a lot of experience with it. After my surgery a couple of weeks ago, I stopped taking the Lyrica because I was taking other meds. By the third day, I had a killer headache, no energy, and generally felt like I was coming down with the flu. I now know it was withdrawals! Within an hour of taking a dose, I felt 100% better. When I mentioned this to my doctor, he said he had not heard of this before with Lyrica, and he was glad I told him.

Like any other pain medication, fear of withdrawals is not a good enough reason for not taking it in the first place if it works. So, the answer for me is to taper this down slowly when this arm mess is over with.

Oh yea... I wanted to mention that some people have had weight gain issues with Lyrica. I did not. In fact, other than the first couple of weeks or so, I can honestly say that I have had no side effects at all.

Anyway, that's my experience with this drug. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I take Lyrica and haven't noticed anything different. But with everything else I take I guess that is to be expected. The PA that I see did say that because the drug is so new, when I go off it, they will taper down from 3 times a day to 2x, then 1. I only take it in the am and before I go to bed and have had good luck with it...

Old 11-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

thanks for the replies.

its been 13 days since i started so i hope as time goes on the side effects become less of an issue.

it really is a wonderful med for nerve pain and the fact that it helps with my back pain is a big plus.

thanks , Scott

Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Scott-
    I've tried Lyrica and had horrible side effects from it unfortunately, because like you, it did help the pain. I'm on Neurontin & Depakote for the nerve damage now and they both make me really sleepy, but hopefully it will get better soon.

Best Wishes! I hope your side effects will soon get much better for you!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

Ive been on Lyrica for 2 weeks and I decided today I just cant take the way it makes me feel.

The pain relief is great but i feel so impaired that im afraid to drive.

I dont know if its just the Lyrica or the combination of Lyrica and Morphine.

Im going to try and take 1 pill (75mg)4x a day instead of 2 pills(150mg)
    2x a day and see if its any better
    If not im going to ask to try Neurontin or something else for nerve pain

Last edited by scotty12; 11-22-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
    dub1
    (male)

dub1 HB User

I was put on Lyrica about 15 days ago, starting dose was 1 75mg per day, 5days later 2, and 5 more days later 3. I noticed a dopey feeling for the first several days. I am now noticing that the dopey feeling is going away. The pain relief is decent and with the combination of morphine my pain level has been brought down at least 3 points. I hope you can stick with it cause i really think it's an excellent drug for nerve pain. Good luck I hope you find some relief.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I tried Lyrica a few weeks back and was on it for about 8 weeks in total. I reached a maximum allowed dose of 600mg and it really helped my Nerve pain; however it made me VERY sleepy and I would "drop off" anywhere! Also I put on about 30lbs in those few weeks and I really wasn't eating much. I noticed that I went from having normal skin to oil skin and I didn't perspire much! With all this, especially the weight gain I game off the drug (I had weight gain at lower doses also.)

Since then I've read on a respectable website that anyone taking Oxy should be careful about taking Lyrica as the mix will make you especially sleepy!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

thanks all for the replies.

Blasterboy, it makes me very sleepy also.especially in the morning.
    i stopped taking ambien because i didnt need it when i take lyrica.
    I have a hard time focusing when reading.the lyrica seems to affect my vision.if i move my head or look in a different direction i have to refocus and it makes me dizzy.
    mainly that and the tiredness bother me most.It has gotten a bit better but not much.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #11
    twiceblessed
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twiceblessed HB User

I was told to ONLY take Lyrica at night. Thank God I did! The first 2 nights I got some weird side effects - CRAZY dreams, and I felt like my head was nailed to the pillow. I just couldn't lift it - I felt almost immobilized! That went away after the first few days though. I never tried to take it during the day, so I can't speak to that!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

Well, It has been 4 weeks and i have to say that the side effects have dropped to a level i can live with although it still makes me a little tired if i take it early in the morning.

The Lyrica helps tremendously with the leg pain and the only times the pain gets horrible is after Physical Therapy.

Im glad i didnt give up too soon becaus eit does help alot.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
    Mcgirl
    (female)

Mcgirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twiceblessed
    I was told to ONLY take Lyrica at night. Thank God I did! The first 2 nights I got some weird side effects - CRAZY dreams, and I felt like my head was nailed to the pillow. I just couldn't lift it - I felt almost immobilized! That went away after the first few days though. I never tried to take it during the day, so I can't speak to that!
    I LOVE Lyrica. I have been taking 2 300mg tabs for about a year now. I had to allow my body the time to adjust to the side effects. I like to take it at night b/c it makes me sleepy but I can't take it too late or I have really scary dreams like twiceblessed mentioned above. When I have these dreams it is almost like I am trapped inside my own body. I can't lift my head and wake up screaming and thrashing. It also took me about a month to not wake up drowsy and dizzy. In fact the first night I took it I woke up tried to go downstairs and fell on my behind. That said I am so glad that I began taking this drug. I feel that it has allowed me to take less of my Percocet and it makes my Percocet work better. I would reccommend this med to anyone...just give your body time to adjust to the side effects. I suggest taking it with dinner so the nightmares don't occur.

Closed Thread