It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• My doc's taking off for a month!!!! HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User
    Angry My doc's taking off for a month!!!! HELP

I called my doctor today to make my appointment.....have enough meds. until end of month/ beg. December if I'm really lucky. Usually I can get appointments pretty quick, so I was shocked and upset when his receptionist told me he's gone......and won't be back until December 21st!!! So the 21 day supply he gave me is supposed to last like 45 days??!!??!! How the heck am I going to swing that one? Even if I cutmy dose right now by 75% (which would be ridiculous) I still won't be close to the 21st...

I said to her, "So what am I supposed to do?" Pause. "About my meds. I mean. I only have enough until MAYBE beg. December." "Well, he's already gone for a month,and there's no way to contact him...." YEAH RIGHT. Then she had two ridiculous suggestions: Ask the pharmacist to "lend" me about 100 Percocet's (LMFAO) or go to a walk-in. Now, we have 3 walk-ins, all the same ones w/ same doctors just rotating. THEY DON'T DO TRIPLICATES. EVER. I took my DS in last night b/c he was out of his Concerta (triplicate also) and even took the bootle with us, and they absolutely refused.

I'm sooooo frustrated. I realize there's no answer to this....just need to vent I guess since a week from now, I'll be in withdrawals. Last time he pulled this, I had such massive withdrawals. I can't imagine that with my boys here alone with me, with no help. Is he even allowed to pull this crap???? Even when it can be physically dangerous to my health??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: My doc's taking off for a month!!!! HELP

zuzu-
    I am so sorry to hear about your dilema. It's insane that a PM doctor would go out of town for so long and not at least let his patients know somehow before hand, unless it was an emergency situation that made him have to leave. Wow.

It sounds like he is the only doctor in his practice? Does he not have another doctor cover "call" for his patients when he's out of town?

I just don't even know what to tell you to do. And, what kind of suggestion is it to ask the pharmacy to "lend" you pain medications??? That was a pretty crass thing for his receptionist to say to you.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I know that many of us are taking medications for pain along with the other modalities we employ to manage our pain, and after being on any medication for an extended time, it's not good to have to run out. Some medications really are not supposed to be just stopped abruptly. I know that the Depakote that my PM doctor has me on has very stern warnings about just stopping "cold turkey". I don't know if it's just because of withdrawl kind of of things or if it would cause something worse.

Could you call your PM doctors office and ask them if by some chance he did leave information about another doctor who might be covering for him while he's gone? I'm sure they have gotten many calls from patients and have gotten a LOT of unhappy feedback from all the patients who will be in need of a refill before he comes back.

It just really seems odd that he would be gone for so long without letting you guys know before hand, and not make some kind of arrangements for his patients while he's gone....strange indeed.

I do wish you the very best. Please stay in touch and let is know how things are going. We are here for you.

Ozzybug

Old 11-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
    zach016
    (male)

zach016 HB User

Hi Zuzu,

I can't imagine why aDr. would leave his practice for that long without having someone for his patients to see.

I'm in B.C. so I'm sure we have close to the same procedures as you have. Whenever my Dr. has left he has a locum come in to cover for him and sees just as many patients each day as my Dr. does - and he is one of the busiest in B.C.. When it comes to Rx I think I've seen 3 locums in the last 10 years and they have all written triplicate Rx's after quickly looking in my chart and seeing what I've been taking.

At the very least there should be someone that will see his patients for anything urgent and Rx'ing pain meds. for a chronic pain patient - especially considering you will go into withdrawal - would qualify as urgent!!

I'd suggest 2 things. Call his office tonight when everyone has gone home and listen to the answering machine message. They should give you a number for a Dr. to call during non-office hours. Failing that, ask his receptionist who is covering for him. You might have got someone on the phone at his office that didn't know what was going on?

If you have a good relationship with your pharmacist then borrowing meds. from him for a few days might be something he/she would do, but advancing you 120 Percocets would be pushing it. I would contact him though, explain the situation and ask him for advice. If that doesn't pan out, and if you are faced with 3 weeks of no pain meds. I'd take everything that I could in the way of diagnosis and empty pill boxes with me and go to one of the walk-in clinics. I know manyof them say they don't write for narcotics but that is so they don't have line-ups of addicts 5 blocks long. In a situation like this, where you are grasping at straws, I'd at least give them a try.

If he has really taken off without covering for his patients I'd find another Dr. out there and dump this one.

Good luck to you.

Zach

Old 11-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Speek to your state medical board -

1. This doctors action is highly irisponsible, and should be addressed

2. They may be able to refer you to a doctor who can help you out

Old 11-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User
    Angry Re: My doc's taking off for a month!!!! HELP

Thanks everybody, but it's not quite that simple. There are NO "pain management" doctors or whatever you call them here...and this is my family doctor. He maybe sees a small handful of "pain" patients a year, if that, so I'm pretty much it for a "regular." The receptionist I spoke to is his permanent one, the one he's had since the start. And chances are if he's gone until the 21st, she won't be there either. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone there to find a "closed" sign on the door.

They never leave an emergency number on the machine, not even the "If this is an emergency, please go to the Hospital." As useless as that would be, I don't even get that. And in a city this small, there are maybe 20 doctors, none of which take new patients, so other than my doctor, there's only the 3 walk-ins. And I have been there with my bottle (have no documents to prove my pain lol) and they won't even look at it. They tell you they won't have any part of it. And I've known a lot of ppl here, and they've has the exct same response. They had it on the news, even, that they no longer keep Triplicate pads there (they were held up by a crazed guy.) That or maybe he really wasn't crazed, maybe just withdrawing from not being able to get any of his regular medications lol. I'm starting to wonder now....lol

Only once did he have a "Locum" come in when he was gone, and I made a point of telling him how wonderful she was.

Even at the ER they are impossible to get anything anything there. They once saw me post-op, and I was bleeding quite heavily and in extreme pain
    (I have a clotting disorder.) That time they gave me IV drugs there, then sent me home with an Rx for 10. lol And the only other time years ago was for a similar experience,and they actually issued a prescription for 3 pills. SERIOUSLY The 3 pills cost almost as much as my 120 do, b/c of the pharmacy processing fee.

What I'm wondering is how I could find out for sure of doctors in the next biggest city that give Triplicates. I don't imagine anyone on here's from there (Calgary) but if I could somehow almost concretely know of someone to try, I could probably scrape together the $$$ (well, maybe just not pay a bill, really have no extra money from my disability cheque) to drive all the way there. Is there some search I could do??? Then again, no doctor on the internet's going to advertise that they issue Triplicate drugs.

The only other "hope" is his receptionist said if he called in to the office within the next month, she'd tell him the message and let him see if he "wants to" write the prescription.

If none of these options work, I do have a few Morphine Statex pills and some codeine's. Neither do a thing for pain, and both make me throw up constantly, but to avoid the withdrawal I had the other time, would these help??? And how many would I need to take, and how often? God, this is such a nightmare. I can't believe doctors are even allowed to do this.....last time, my heart was racing so fast I was positive I was having a heart attack for the first 3 days.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

I would call around and make sure none of them are taking new docs. When was the last time you checked?

Call one of them and explain the situation...

Other than that - hugs...I think he's a rotten doc.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #7
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User

This is a good example of why it is best to have a pain management doctor...a primary care doc (family doc) is not concentrating on med refills and probably your predicament slipped his memory. A professional pain management doc would have made sure that your med refill needs were taken care off before leaving town.

And the nurses' suggestion to "borrow" some meds from the pharmacy was ludicrous at best.

I would also check with your insurance company to see what can be done. Unfortuantely, many in health care are naive when it comes to w/d and will probably tell you to just wait until the Doc returns from vacation.

Alan

Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
    zuzu23
    Inactive
    (female)

zuzu23 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: My doc's taking off for a month!!!! HELP

Okay, here's the update: I pretty much found out the receptionist's not going to help me, so I contacted a friend in the next city I was talking about and told him the problem; asked if he knew of any pain management clinics or even a walk-in where I might be able to get medical care,&enough of my meds. to avoid the bulk of withdrawal until my doctor decides to come back just before Christmas. He said his doctor prescribes them, and I know this is horrible and probably against all rules here, but I'm really scared of having a heart attack b/c of what happened last time, but he said he has about 10 left from an old sports injury. He gave me his doctor's number though, and I'm going to call and speak to the nurse on monday and see if there's anything I can do about this....I know I'll probably get in a lot of trouble for even admitting this, but if it comes to it, even though my values are pretty high, I'd rather take his meds. and pay him back after my doctor comes back than have my kids see me throwing up laying there writhing in pain for 3 weeks. I just read an article explaining what happens if someone who's addicted to Percocet tries to detox at home. And, yes, my doctor explained the difference between tolerance and dependance and addiction, but still. I know what happened that other time.

And either way, I'm having a VERY SERIOUS talk with my doctor on the 21st....and will DEMAND the referral even though it's a 6 hour trip......once a month is still far worth it.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, trust me, I'd rather do almost anything else but I really am scared. I have a 10 year-old and a 3 year-old and recently separated from DH, so I cannot ever let them see me like that......they need me for so much. Anyways, I hope I don't catch too much trouble for contemplating this....or this post be deleted even.

Thanks guys though. You're all truly awesome!!

Old 11-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Sorry to hear your delema! I never heard of a doctor NOT having someone to fill in for him[her] while he's gone.You could go to the E.R,bring your bottle with you,and go early,incase they want to call your doc. office to varify your problem.I'm pretty sure,but the E.R. is only allowed to write a 5 day supply.I'm sure they would help out ,especially if they choose to call,and your story is lagit.If you choose to keep your doc., the next time you see your doc. ask him what could be done if something like this is to happen again.Goodluck! Mad.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

Yes, morphine (and to some extent codeine) would supress withdrawl symptoms..... start reducing your dose gradualy now, to make the withdrawl as smooth as possible.

Re the nausea, meclozine (avaliable as Bonnine at your pharmacy) will stop that, and taken at bedtime, will help you sleep.

Closed Thread