It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Back pain and riding in cars

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
    Fibbles
    (male)

Fibbles HB User
    Back pain and riding in cars

First, I have a bone disease that affects all of my joints and bones. All of them are deformed in some way and cause pain/are painful, but my back/neck is the worst. The big problem is that my entire spine/neck is naturally fused together, some of them are mishapen and there's too little spinal fluid. I've also got Kyphoscoliosis, so my spine is bent forward and sideways. On the sideways bend, there are two curves in a reversed S pattern in the lower Thoracic and Lumbar (one is the "normal scoliosis curve and the other is what my doctor has been calling the "compensatory" curve). I often have pain in my lower back concentrated on the right side, opposite of the curve.

Tonight I was riding in a car and was sort-of slouching in the seat, so my lower back was not touching the backrest. We hit a bump rather fast and it felt like something "snapped" or "popped" in the area after we landed. I didn't really get lifted from the seat, but something either definitely happened or really felt like it! After getting inside my house (I had to make baby steps), it seemed to get worse and when I sat down and placed my back in a lumbar support chair, I felt another sharp pain.

Normally when I ride in a car for longer than 10 minutes I have pain that spreads across my lower back. The heated seat option helps a bit, but sometimes it can get unbearable and usually gets worse when the car is in motion. It has never been this bad though. What the heck could have possibly happened?

Does anyone else have back pain brought on by a moving car or the particular shape of a car seat? If I need to be able to travel, what's something to look into? How about one of those massaging seat covers? Any experiences?

I have no idea what the bump did earlier, but if it keeps up I guess I'll go to the ER and beg for an MRI (they're reluctant to give them for some reason). I was recently there for a foot issue (a piece of necrotic bone in my ankle has monthly flare-ups, but this last one on Tuesday was intense and the pain and burning was all over my entire foot which lead me to think it was infected: it wasn't) and they kept offering Dilaudid, but I kept refusing because I kept throwing up and was afraid I would get worse with it.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread