HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   oxycontin OR ms-contin for chronic LB pain. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/452131-oxycontin-ms-contin-chronic-lb-pain.html)

apartipilo 12-05-2006 02:58 PM

oxycontin OR ms-contin for chronic LB pain.

Can someone be on long-acting opiates without the risk of addiction for legitimate LB chronic pain as long as you use it responsibly? I'm afraid of starting this [U]oxycontin [/U]because of all the bad press out there regarding its dangerous addictive nature. What did people find more useful for chronic LBP-- ms-contin OR oxycontin?
I'm currently taking 75 mg of ms-contin 2X per day but its not really doing much for me. I'm thinking of switching to the oxycontin. Maybe it's more effective?
Any advise??

babs17 12-05-2006 03:56 PM

Re: oxycontin OR ms-contin for chronic LB pain.

Oxycontin is a long-acting drug that when used properly, can be a life-changer. I believe that the bad press comes from people who sell it for $$ or crush it to get a high (dangerous amts in the system at one time). But all in all, it it supposed to be safe if used as perscribed.

FYI, I have recently read a piece of literature that said the drug companies are trying to add Naloxone (might be spelled wrong) to the outer coating....so IF the tablet is crushed or broken, Naloxone will be released in addition to the oxycodone. This would make the pill inactive. (Naloxone or Narcan deactivates narcotics) I thought this is a brilliant way to cut down on the misuse, as well as the bad press for the drug companies. Just an FYI from what I read.

erfan 12-07-2006 11:18 PM

My PM Doc will not rx OxyContin. I was on as much as 200 mg daily of MS Contin and when that did nothing, I was switched to the fentanyl patch. I wear a 100 mcg patch and use 30 mg Roxicodone up to 4 per day for bt.

Any long acting drug can be abused. People even break the patch open and lick the fentanyl off.

As long as you plan on following directions, there is no reason why you cannot use OxyContin. I find that oxycodone works best on my pain and you mshouldn't let the meda do your thinkng for you. The reporter isn't the one in pain-you are!

And as long as your Doctor is willing to rx it, you should try it.

tampatar 12-10-2006 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=erfan]My PM Doc will not rx OxyContin. I was on as much as 200 mg daily of MS Contin and when that did nothing, I was switched to the fentanyl patch. I wear a 100 mcg patch and use 30 mg Roxicodone up to 4 per day for bt.

Any long acting drug can be abused. People even break the patch open and lick the fentanyl off.

As long as you plan on following directions, there is no reason why you cannot use OxyContin. I find that oxycodone works best on my pain and you mshouldn't let the meda do your thinkng for you. The reporter isn't the one in pain-you are!

And as long as your Doctor is willing to rx it, you should try it.[/QUOTE]

tampatar 12-10-2006 08:22 PM

I refused for two years to try oxycontin because of bad press - Well I finally tried it and it changed my life - I feel like myself again - I continue to have pain issues but nothing I cannot deal with - I am enjoying living again and it is due to this drug - When taken as prescribed, it can truly be the best thing for you - I have been on the same dose for a year and have not had to increase the amount or feel the need to increase - I thank God daily because this really has been the answer to my prayers Reva:)

Ladybug! 12-11-2006 08:03 AM

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi

I have recently started taking Oxycodone slow released pills & I can honestly say that I feel 'almost' normal again!
Yes the problems I have are still there (recent spinal surgery & fractured hip) but the deling with the pain is so much better!

Hope this helps

Heather X[/COLOR]

Ladybug! 12-11-2006 08:03 AM

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi

I have recently started taking Oxycodone slow released pills & I can honestly say that I feel 'almost' normal again!
Yes the problems I have are still there (recent spinal surgery & fractured hip) but the deling with the pain is so much better!

Hope this helps

Heather X[/COLOR]

Ladybug! 12-11-2006 08:04 AM

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi

Hope this helps

Heather X[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi

Hope this helps

Heather X[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi

Hope this helps

Heather X[/COLOR]

aussie_jono 12-11-2006 09:22 PM

"oxycontin OR ms-contin for chronic LB pain"

Very individual thing, both are very good, probably worth trying both and seeing which one gives you most releif / fewest side effects