It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Mouth Ulcers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
    mx88sxpistols
    (male)

mx88sxpistols HB User
    Mouth Ulcers

I have been getting mouth ulcers for as long as I can remember. I used to get them in my throat every once and I while also, but for about 2 years I have been getting them in my throat almost every month and they last for around 2 weeks so that doesnt leave much time in between to be pain free not to mention that I always have a soar in my mouth at all times. I dont know how many people have experienced ulcers in your throat but they are extremely painfull ( at least for me) and everytime I swallow pain shoots up the side of my face.
    Anyways I have been trying to have my mom take me to the doctors(im 17 and dont have a drivers liscense) for some time now to get something to help with the pain. She wont take me because she doesnt want the doctor giving me narcotics and she thinks that herbal remedies will help(which they havent). Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to help myself?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Re: Mouth Ulcers

Hi and welcome to the board!
    I am close to you, also in Co. and I will try to see if I can help you out with any info or remedies. I have four other docs IN my docs practice who are holistic docs, and have really good ideas, ect.
    There might be a dietary source that could be leading to your sores, its a thought. Many thanks, and hopefully you can get some relief. I dont know of many docs that would prescribe narcotics for mouth pain other than a dentist for a tooth extraction, ect, but there must me someone out there that can help you or something that will help~
    xoxoxooxox
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by moderator2; 01-03-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
    mx88sxpistols
    (male)

mx88sxpistols HB User

Thank you very much1 please let me know if you find out anything

Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
    djemcee
    Inactive
    (male)

djemcee HB User

Mx,

What have the doc's said they are? They should have an answer and a cure for you. That is why you go to the doc's. I personally don't beleive alot in holistic medicine, but I am not here to knock it either.

Anyway, my thoughts are you should have first an answer, secondly some type of releif from your discomfort. I am not sure if narcotics are the answer as I am not sure of your diagnosis.

Is this canker sores, then there are many over the counter remedies.

Can you expand on your condition?

California Chris

Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Chronic mouth ulcers can be associated with a variety of chronic medical conditions (some that come to mind are inflammatory bowel diseases and something called Behcet's syndrome, but there are other more common causes too.) Really this should be evaluated by a doctor since its been going on so long and so extensively.

Also, mouth sore pain can be treated with topically applied prescription drugs but without needing the use of narcotics. Sometimes you can make your own over the counter version by mixing equal parts Maalox (use cherry flavored, not mint!) and Liquid Benadryl, then swishing 1-2 tablespoonsful of this mix around in your mouth for a few minutes before spitting it out. Try not to eat or drink for 1/2 hour afterwards. If this helps you can do it 4 times a day or so. A doctor can write a prescription for a mouthwash similar to this, but can add a few additional prescription ingredients too to get an even better effect.

Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Laenini has given one of the best "home remedy" recipes for this problem. It's the same one given to me by my daughter's pediatrician about 25 years ago when she suffered with chronic mouth ulcers and canker (sp?) sores. We may have used Milk of Magnesia instead of the Maalox, but it's been a long time since I've done it and wouldn't want to give out the wrong ingredients. I'm also familiar with these kinds of sores being associated with croans disease (sp?) a digestive disease. My bigger concern for you is that you aren't being allowed to see a professional health care worker who can help you with a diagnosis and a cure. Is there another adult in your life who can get you to a doctor? KathyMac

Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Leanmnii is giving youi the recipe for magic mouthwash, It's a common way to reduce the pa of mouth sours, but as others said, I woul;dn't be as concerned aboout the discomfort as I would be about finding the cause.

The magic mouthwash the docs use simply have lidocaine in them to numb the surface of the inside of your mouth in addition to muylanta and benedryl. However numbing it and making it feel better isn't a cure or a diagnosis. What medical training does your mom have to distinguicsh between a simple canker soar and Herpes or some other more serious problem. With any type of mouth soars, anything that's acidic is going to make them feel worse, things like tomatoes, OJ, other acidic fruits and spicey foods are will cause more pain. In our modern soceity not taking you to the doc and finding the cause actually boarders on child neglect. If you broke you arm, would They look for a nice flat stick and wrap it with seaweeed? Holistic medecine has it's place but shouldn't be a substitute for finding the cause and simply treating the symptom.

As a parent I know you don't run to the doc with every little problem and I seriously doubt a doc will give you narcotics or treat this as chronic pain. THere is a cause, there is a treatment, it's just a matter of how long are you supposed to suffer? If there is a free clinic in your town perhaps a friend could take you, It may be something you need to know you have even if there isn't a cure like one of the herpes viruses or a symptom of something more serious that your body is lacking immunity wise.

Try telling your mom you would be more than happy to try something holistic once you rule out any potential major problem the soars may be a symptom of. Not taking you do to the fear of someone giving you narcotics is a poor excuse for not geting medical attn because i can't imagine a doc using opiates to treat something that can be managed so easily with a simple topical rinse.

If you do a search for magic mouthwash, I'm sure you will find a number of recipes that will all help in some way, you just don't have access to the numbing agent used in the RX version.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Just for clarification. There are dozens and dozens of different recipes for "Magic Mouthwash" and there are other prescription drugs that are added in addition to Lidocaine depending upon what the cause may be of the mouth sores. Other additives can be anti-inflammatory steroids like dexamethasone or methylprednisolone, antibiotics like tetracycline, or antifungals like nystatin. Some of these things are not very palatable and it can make a big difference if you do get a prescription for this to use a pharmacy that custom flavor the prescription for you. Many of the larger chains have this service available. Just ask around until you find one that offers it.

And I agree, you need to see a doctor. Show your mom this whole thread, maybe it will help her understand how important it is for you to be seen!

Until you can get in and be seen, there are a few other comforting things that may help you too. One is Peroxyl mouth wash which should be available over the counter at just about any drug store. Another is sipping plain old black tea like Lipton. There is something called tannic acid in black teas that some people believe is soothing for mouth sores. I get alot of canker sores myself and I think it helps me.

Good Luck to you!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I get canker sores from time to time and I've been following the news about an over the counter product not yet available in the US, but is coming. It's called ORALMEDIC, and it forms a protective film over the sore and lets it heal. There's another product that is available in the US called DEBACTEROL that requires a prescription and requires either a doctor or a pharmacist to apply and it does the same thing as ORALMEDIC. Both promise pain relief very quickly, and healing in days. This is completely non-narcotic.

Check it out. It's the first thing I've seen in years that might really be promising. I've had canker sores off and on since I was a kid and they're just awful. Maybe this will help.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
    mx88sxpistols
    (male)

mx88sxpistols HB User

thank you everybody who has posted. I actually do use the milk of magnesia and liquid benadryl but it doesnt help the ones in my throat. I think what I might do is get my kaiser card and call them and talk to a doctor and see what he says then maybe he can talk to my mom and get her to bring me in. Again thank you everybody!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
    rasiaca
    (female)

rasiaca HB User

Hi,
    I just wanted to say that I have suffered with canker sores for a decade now, and inflammed tastebuds occasionally and finally found an answer on the net. Not a cure, a cause, and it's been two months, and I'm ok now.
    It was a whey allergy, as in curds and why...cottage cheese.
    So I gave up cottage cheese, sour cream, feta cheese, yoghurt, tzatziki dip, cream cheese/dip, protein bars and shakes (whey protein), and doritos (whey in seasoning).
    Total skeptic, but it worked, I am still shocked really, after all these years.
    They said in the site that if it works, thanyou should consider giving u dairy products entirely, which I am phasing out...
    I really hope you give it a try and that it works...
    Anna.
    PS, I did pig out on the stuff a couple of weeks ago, and did have a sore relapse, so now I am pretty convinced.

Closed Thread