It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl Patch 72 hrs or 48hrs????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
    zach016
    (male)

zach016 HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch 72 hrs or 48hrs????

Hi all,

I was on the patch for a few months a couple of years ago (they worked better than anything I'd tried, but even after trying about 4 different creams they ended up irritating my skin so much it bled).

In the prescribing directions in the Physicians "official" directions AND on the directions in with my patches it clearly said that some people DO need to change the patch every 48 hours and if 72 hours isn't working to Rx them every 48 hours. Do your instructions say that??

Zach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thats a load of crap...IMO. I think that Director is exactly right on this one, and you have a right to do what YOU want. Thats just inhumane to make you go 72 and no b/t meds at all.
    I had a gal last summer that I golfed with, and she walked 18 holes every day. She had a surg. talk her into the surg. [fusion] and she is in an impatient rehab, has been for almost a year, due to paralysis from the surgery, learning how to live her life all over again.
    Not trying to scare you at all, but she didnt feel good doing into it, and wishes so much she would have gotten more opinions.
    Dont be bullied, and keep us posted. Im sure there is someone out there that will be good to you and help you out until you feel that you are ready for something. Take care,
    oxoxoxox
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-04-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hey Onyxgates: Sorry for the confusion, mostly on my part. I thought you were seeing a Nuerosurgeon now. Are you or is he just in PM? The reason for asking is, surgeons are notorious for not wanting to prescribe, but pushing surgery. That's what I thought you had going.

A second opinion from a PM wouldn't hurt, but I was thinking more in the lines of a Nuerologist who doesn't do surgery. You're talking about having an Ortho doc do your surgery. I'm not too sure about this either. Any one else feel like it's more in the line of having a Nuerosurgeon do the procedure rather than an Orthopedic surgeon do it? I may be wrong but I thought most fusions, and other spinal surgeries were done by the Nuerosurgeons.

What ever you decide, just don't let them push you into a surgery that doesn't have the greatest success rate without at least getting a good second opinion.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zach016
    Hi all,

I was on the patch for a few months a couple of years ago (they worked better than anything I'd tried, but even after trying about 4 different creams they ended up irritating my skin so much it bled).

In the prescribing directions in the Physicians "official" directions AND on the directions in with my patches it clearly said that some people DO need to change the patch every 48 hours and if 72 hours isn't working to Rx them every 48 hours. Do your instructions say that??

Zach
    I have looked through BOTH the Full Precribing Information and the Patient Information that comes in my box of 100Mcg Patches--the ones I get are made by Sandoz and look and feel exactly like the name brand Duragesic--even made in the same facility--But I cannot find where it says may only last 48 hours on some patients--Has all kinds of charts etc for doctor--It does say to put on every 72 hours OR as prescribed by your physician--Just wanted to show my doctor because as I said they really do only last 2 days for me--Was wondering where I can find that "official" manufacturer statement so I could show my doc. Thanks
    Roger

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi all~
    I just looked on my Mylan insert and it says to change it every 3 days OR as directed by your physician.
    xoxoxox
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

Director and Others:

Sorry for my vagueness...

I am currently seeing a pain mgmt doctor and an orthepedic spine surgeon. I am planning on getting a second opinion from an actual nuerosurgeon and if he agrees with my ortho...will most likely go to him for the actual surgery. I have heard the same...you don't go to an ortho for a fusion. My PM doc referred me to the Ortho so that is why I decided to see him first. He is a very nice doctor and seems to know his stuff and I do trust him which is why if the nuero doesn't think surgery is correct, I will get a third opinion and go with the majority.

Now my PM doc doesn't want to go any higher on pain meds and doesn't want to keep prescribing them to me...I really don't think they are pain mgmt as much as they are those needle pushers that everyone talks about. They were fine with me when I was going through all of their procedures but now that I am not getting any expensive procedures...their tunes have changed. Can you go to another PM doc? I don't want to doctor shop but I also want to get a fair shake and treated correctly.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #22
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hey Onyxgates: You can go to any doctor you want to go to, whenever you want. Remember, the doctor "works" for you. If it were me, I would line up another PM doc before I say anything to the current PM doctor, but when you have everything all set, fire the current PM doc. Make sure of the time frame, so you don't leave yourself without meds and go into withdrawal.

I still really think it's unfair that the current PM doctor won't go to 48 hours in changing your patch, or at the very least give you something for BT pain. I have been on Duragesic (Fentanyl) Patches before, both with 48 and 72 hour changes. It's a world of difference. That third day, seems like you don't have a patch on at all.

I like your idea of getting another opinion and maybe even a third, if necessary. I think you've got things figured out and I'm glad you're going to be careful and not jump into this without all the facts and opinions.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #23
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

Thank you for the assurance as right now I don't feel like I am in control or making any good choices. It is amazing the difference between the patch...Last night I went to bed at 8:00 because I couldn't take it anymore the pain was probably at an eight or nine. After tossing and turning, I finally fell asleep at 11 or 12 but it was a very fitful rest. I was waking up every couple of hours in pain. When I woke up this morning and changed the patch, I was still in a lot of pain. It took about two and a half hours before I felt like I could move without large bouts of pain. I am sitting here at work and am great. Yes it hurts when I move or if I think about it but it is closer to a five. I feel like I can tolerate this. I am meeting with my GP next Thursday and I am going to ask him if he can recommend a new Pain Mgmt doctor for me.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #24
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thats great! I hope that you can find someone fast and fire the current moron you have now. Sorry and not trying to be rude, but you deserve so much better. Make sure as Director said to have enough meds, that would be really rough. Good luck, let us know what happens. Theres no way I could go 3 days on the patch, Id be in misery, and yet not to have andy b/t would be totally cruel.
    xoxoxoxo
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #25
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

Right now would be an ideal time as I have a 30 day supply. Just got my refill. I am meeting with my GP next Thursday. We will see. Thanks to you all for all of your advice and input. You are all gems Have a great evening and hopefully a painfree one as well!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #26
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Onyx-
    I'd think twice about seeking another PM doctor with the situation being what it is with your current one sweetie. If you go see another PM doctor, your records from the one you are currently seeing will have to be forwarded to the new one, and he will see why your current PM won't prescribe opiates and is cutting your dose down on the patches you are using. You did the right thing in coming clean with your current PM doctor about your situation, and he chose to keep you in his practice when he could have dismissed you. My PM would have dismissed me in a heart beat. He is very clear about the rules his patients must follow. No room for errors of any kind.

Unfortunately, you are in true chronic pain that needs to be managed in some way, and I do wish you the very best in being able to work with your current PM doctor in finding some way to get this pain under control. All of us here know what it's like to live in chronic pain and are all well aware of how it affects our day to day activities. We also know how much the quality of life can improve when our pain is managed properly.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you and your PM can come to some type of agreement on managing your pain. Good Luck Onyx!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #27
    irvman1021
    (male)

irvman1021 HB User

I just wanted to let everyone know that I use the Sandoz brand patch and my doc said to put in on my abdominal area. Just not to put in the same spot everytime. It works great. Then nobody has to see if but your spouse or whatever. Also I have one problem with it and 18 hours after I put it on then I start to get really sick to my stomach. And that last about 20 hours and then I am fine. Does this happen to anyone else?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #28
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Irv...
    I have found that when I was on the 75's I had the WORST first day... and now since i went to to the 50's Im much better.
    I was so spacey I couldnt drive, and irritable, and couldnt eat, until the second day.
    I dont know if oyu can step down a notch, and maybe get mor b/t relief, but I know if happened to me. I use the Mylan patches, because they're cheaper, and smaller. I usually wear a tiny teeny tank, ect shirt every day, or something to where I cant wear the patch on my arm, and i wear it on my upper thigh. It works fine there.
    Hope this helped!
    xoxoxoxox,
    IZZYSMOM

Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irvman1021 View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I use the Sandoz brand patch and my doc said to put in on my abdominal area. Just not to put in the same spot everytime. It works great. Then nobody has to see if but your spouse or whatever. Also I have one problem with it and 18 hours after I put it on then I start to get really sick to my stomach. And that last about 20 hours and then I am fine. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Hi Irvman1021--
    Seems weird to me that doc would say to put it on your stomach--I use the same brand 100Mcg and can only get them to stay on upper arm unless I use extra tape--I think your reactions may just be your bodys adjusting to the constant med--mine were similiar in the beginning--Now I just have to make sure I am sitting down when I first put the patch on--gives an initial "rush"--or used to anyway. All the best to you--good luck--
    Roger

Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #30
    irvman1021
    (male)

irvman1021 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have just started this patch like a two months. So my body may still be getting used to them. I just don't know if I should ask to take something else for the pain or what. I can't take throwing up for 20 hours straight. Plus I am like only 5'2 and 98-100 pounds. I take a few other meds aswell, that might be making me sick I will just have to talk to the doc when I go in. May I ask what you use this patch for? ( what kind of pain) I have ESRD which is kidney failure and am hoping to get a kidney soon. Hope to hear back from you and have a wonderful night and lets hope it's pain free.

Closed Thread