It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Difference between Darvocet and Vicodin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Difference between Darvocet and Vicodin?

Hey everyone, I have a question from my mom about these 2 pain meds.

My grandma, who is 90, just recently started having some weird pain in her neck that hasn't been diagnosed. She's had xrays, MRI and catscan, and nothing has been found. But she's in so much pain, despite 2 times a week physical therapy, that she can't turn her head at all.

The last doc she went to prescribed vicodin for her. But in the meantime, my mom has been giving her darvocet that she has left over from her gall bladder surgery and it doesn't seem to be helping her at all.

So...my question is, what's the difference between darvocet and vicodin? Which one is stronger? And on a side note, any one have any ideas for what else we can do for her? She's 90! And she's really miserable about this pain, she complains about it all the time and I feel terrible for her that they haven't been able to diagnose it properly. My parents and I don't know what else to do to help her at this point?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Re: Difference between Darvocet and Vicodin?

Hi Kszan: There are actually four or five types of Darvocet which is a very mild narcotic pain reliever, usually made up of Propoxyphene and Tylenol. It is a Schedule IV drug, but should be used with caution in the elderly. Vicodin is much more effective and is a Schedule III drug made up of Hydrocodone and Tylenol. It comes in 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 mg of Hydrocodone. This also should be used with caution when give to your Grandmother.

If you have any other questions, please post them and I'm sure someone will answer for you.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: Difference between Darvocet and Vicodin?

Dear Kszan: Director's reply is absolutely correct, as is his usual style! The Propoxyphene/Tylenol combination in the Darvocet (Schedule IV) is usually perceived as "weaker" than the Hydrocodone/Tylenol combination found in the Vicodin (Schedule III).

These opiates should generally be used with caution in the elderly.

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Closed Thread