It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Chronic Pain, pregnancy, and pain meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Exclamation Chronic Pain, pregnancy, and pain meds?

I am a chronic pain patient, and take opiates on a daily basis for pain control. My fiance' and I would like to concieve, and my OB says we need to concieve ASAP due to severe endometriosis. I am concerned about stopping these meds, the pain during pregnancy, and the risk to the baby. I would like to stop all medications before conception, if there is a risk to the baby.

When would I need to stop the opiates before trying to concieve? Are there any meds I can take for severe pain during pregnancy? Also, I have this chronic pain from endo, but also from a hernia surgery gone wrong. I have mesh and metal tacks, and the surgeons agree that the tacks and mesh are moving out of place, causing the damage and pain. Will this possibly complicate my pregnancy? Could the mesh and tacks rip apart from the pressure of a growing abdomen?

Just wanting some advice from fellow cp'ers!

Thank you so very much for any advice you have to offer.

Sincerely Yours,

ButterflyGirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
    sara313
    (female)

sara313 HB User
    Re: Chronic Pain, pregnancy, and pain meds?

I don't think anyone other than you OB/GYN and you PM doc can really answer these questions. I was on a number of different meds when I got pg (not opiates) and my OB/GYN did research on her own to make an informed decision of what I should do. I have a healthy 18mo girl.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2007 at 06:41 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi ButterfyGirl - I agree that only your OB/GYN can advise you on the metal/screws question. As far as pain meds...I took percocet throughout my entire pregnancy. But that was back in 1977 when the drug was, I think, pretty new. I was going to a ob-clinic and I remember 2 doctors sort of arguing about the safety of using the percocet. They were out in the hall and when they finally finished their back and forth talk...the doc came in and gave me a prescription for it. I was having very severe back pain starting in my 4th month of pregnancy. I took it up until 2 weeks post-partum and then stopped. My daughter was born healthy - 8lbs. 2ounces - 19 inches. She's now pregnant with her second and her first baby was also a healthy little girl. So I don't think there was any long-term effects. I had a natural childbirth without any anesthesia, including any percocet or even an aspirin! Those were the days of "natural" everything! What a crock!! Take care - and good luck KathyMac

Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
    npainnTN
    (female)

npainnTN HB User

I agree with everyone else. You need to collaberate (sp) with all your doctors and let them decide together the best plan of action. I had a LOT of health problems before and during my pregnancy, and all of my doctors had to work together. I took asparin everyday during my pregnancy (which for those that know thats a big NONO) And I had to take hydrocodone during the last trimester. Its better to got to the doctor informed and with a list of questions to ask.

Sorry I got off track, I just wanted to explain why I said what I did. But definately check out the classisfications the medications you are taking are. I think it goes like A-D, with D being very bad, it is known to cause severe birth defects. THe lower the letter the safer it is. A lot of the time the doctors also go by risk to the mom being on the med and the mom being off the med. So like if it were a medication like coumadin, the person would have to change the type of blood thinner, to one that does not cause as many side effects for the baby as the coumadin. So even through the other med is better it could still hurt the baby but mom would die without it. I know that this is 2 different situations but both are similiar in the fact that of how they affect the mom and baby.

Good luck, and if you have anymore question just let me/us know. Good luck with what you find out. And keep us updated.

Jenn

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Butterfly, and congrats on your pregnancy! I had severe migraines almost daily while pregnant with my youngest son, and I took tylenol with codiene and had to have shots of demerol about once every two weeks. At first I resisted the doctors attempts to help out of fear of harming my baby, But he assured me that the pain itself, and the high blood pressure from the pain, was putting both me and my child at a higher risk than the meds would.
    Make sure your OB knows everything you are taking, even the over the counter stuff, so he can check for interactions, and how much you take so if the baby is born dependant, she can be helped out. My son was born healthy, 8 lbs 6 oz, and is now 6'5" tall, a gorgeous green eyed blonde like his papa and a college student on academic scholorship. Best wishes to you and your hubby, I'm sure your baby will be beautiful and healthy.
    Hugs, Fabby

Closed Thread