It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• doctor finally trying a new regimen-lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User
    doctor finally trying a new regimen-lyrica

I've posted several posts about me trying to get doctor to try long acting opiates to treet my several multiple failed back surgeries. You guys have been a great help. I can not get the doctor to prescribe this and I can not get the work comp ins carrier to approve me to get another opinion. My pain management doctor has been prescribing 60 percocette per month and it helps wonderfully however I only get a few hours of relief per day and this has been my main problem. I have been reading that lyrica has been used successfully to treat nerve pain in certain cases. Today I asked my doctor why over the last 7 years of chronic pain no doctor has prescribed something like this or even mentioned that it may be some help. Although I am still upset that I can't get him to try long acting opiates, I am happy that he is at least willing to try adding lyrica to my pain management regimen. I would be willing to try anything that may work better for me to restore a normal sleep pattern and restore some function. I am hoping that I don't get to fat from taking this or get to sleepy. Any input on the success, failure or side effects to taking lyrica based on other peoples experiences would be deeply appreciated. I just dropped the prescription off at pharmacy and am waiting approval from my work comp ins carrier. I only hope they approve because they have not always complied with every request made by the doctor in the past. I was also wondering how long it takes lyrica to start working. Is this something you have to be on for a long time to start working or is it usually instant. I also wanted to know what you thought about the initial dose he prescribed. I have found that I usually have a very high tolerance to any kind of medications. He initially prescribed 75mg twice a day. Thank you ----Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: doctor finally trying a new regimen-lyrica

Hey EJ-
    I'm glad your doctor is at least willing to allow you to try the Lyrica. It's not a medicine I can take. I tried it at one point and had really bad side effects, but I've had bad side effects from a couple other meds too, so don't let this news get you down. Because of my IBS, I often have bad side effects. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't.

I hope you do find that it helps. My nerve pain is treated with Neurontin and that works pretty good, so if the Lyrica isn't a go, you might want to look in to it.

Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I've found some success with another med called Cymbalta. Both it and Lyrica are indicated for nerve pain but I don't know how similar they may be. If you can't get the Lyrica to go through you might try Cymbalta.

Best of Luck!

steve

Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
    TraveltoSL
    Inactive
    (female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are not having much luck with your current Dr. or your workers comp...

I have never taken Lyrica so don't have any experience with that but have been on Cymbalta for over 2 years and love it!

i just had my 3rd neck surgery for failed fusions....This time we went in from the front and the back of my neck and used cages, plates, rods, and screws. It took years to finally find this wonderful Neurosurgeon and there is also a fantastic Pain Mgmt. dr. who is on their staff.

I live in Northern VA and they are the VA Spine Institute...

It seems totally unfair that you are not allowed to get a second opinion...I don't know all the laws but this seems against the law by refusing you this.

It might be worth the money to try and contact another pain mgmt. dr. on your own dime to search for better pain relief and a Dr. who wants to set you up with at TOTAL wellness program that includes PT, injections, accupuncture, and medicine....

The Cymbalta works very well for me in controlling my nerve pain but I also take 20mg Oxycontin 3 times daily as well as Percocet 7.5/325 for breakthrough....no more than 8 in a day because of the tylenol...

I also take Robaxin which is a fantastic muscle relaxer that does not make me sleepy during the day.

The Cymbalta is also known for weight LOSS and not gaining.....again, these are obviously my personal experiences and you'll find many varied responses...

I also have Ambien 10mg if needed to help sleep at night...mostly break it in half to take if needed.....this has been a HUGE help to me since getting a good night's sleep helped with the pain immensley....

So, I personally wouldn't stay with a Dr. who is reluctant to change things when it's not working and who also isn't providing other modalities for you to help with your pain....

If you list where you live you might get some good references on who might be good to see as a new pain mgmt. dr....

My Dr.s are actually "out of network" for me but worth every penny that I have to pay extra for them being so caring and wonderful to me....and I have to count every penny!!!!

Good luck with everything and I'll pray for you to find some more relief...

Old 01-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
    irvman1021
    (male)

irvman1021 HB User

I take 150mg 2x a day. I think this med really works good for me. I have Kidney Failure and am on the transplant list so I have alot of back pain. I also take alot of other meds for Pain and a few other things. I hope this works for you and if you have any other questions I am here to answer them.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User

Well i've been on the lyrica 75mg twice a day for two days now. I've been taking percocet twice a day along with that. It's been about five years that I've been suffering with this severe chronic pain. I'm glad that I asked the doctor why nobody has ever tried this on me considering I have nerve damage. So far it seems to be an improvement. If I had to describe what the side effects feel like and what the medicine seems to do for me I would describe it like this. It seems to make me slightly sleepy and my head slightly cloudy. Although that is not a good thing it also dulls my sense of feeling slightly which meens less pain in my leg and back. Last night was the first night in five years that I got a full nights sleep without waking up at all. I was out like a lite when I went to bed but was not too sleepy during the day. I think this is great because lack of good sleep really stinks. Just wondering if lyrica is something that you grow tolerant to over time. Does it stop working as well over time or do the side effects become less over time. How does lyrica work for you and how does it help?

Last edited by ejreiss; 01-14-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
    needaplan
    (female)

needaplan HB User

I have been on Lyrica since May 06. For the first few months, I was taking 100MG, 3Xday. I have recently moved to 75MG, 3Xday. I have severe nerve damage in my right arm, resulting in 3 surgeries over the last 7 months.

There are two reasons why some doctors haven't either heard of it or haven't thought about prescribing it for nerve issues:

1. The FDA approved this drug in December 05 (or was it 04?), so it is a relatively new med.

2. The original purpose was to treat nerve issues in patients who have diabetes and shingles. About a year ago or so, other doctors, like orthopaedists, started using it for general nerve issues.

As many of you can attest, narcotics are not extremely effective on nerve pain. The combination of Lyrica and tramadol has given me my life back.

The first day I took Lyrica, I remember feeling a bit out of it -- kind of like I do with decongestants. After that, and to this day, I have had zero side effects.

One thing to keep in mind: when they say that you should taper this med when you are ready to quit, they aren't kidding. After my last surgery, I didn't take the Lyrica, as I was on so many other post-op meds. I went through what I know now as w/d: headaches, listless, a little anxious, couldn't sleep, etc. They weren't terrible, and they went away as soon as I took a dose. So a taper is definitely in order for me.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I am prescribed 100 mg x3. I am only taking it twice a day. It has significantly helped with the nerve pain. Lyrica is fairly new to the market and is in the higher tier of co-pay for my prescription plan. It was not originally developed for nerver pain such as we have. It was also developed to hlep control seizures. The pain management has just been another bennie as far as I am concerned.

Do be sure to follow your dr.'s order when you start to go off of this. YOu need to step down the dosage and not go cold turkey. That was something that my dr. stressed to me.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User

Update on my lyrica-I've now been taking the lyrica for four days now. The first day or two of taking it along with percocet twice a day has given me the best results in pain control I have seen yet. The third and fourth day I don't see quite the results that I got initially. I had slight side effects that I felt I could do without on the first couple of days but now I have no side effects and very little help with relieving the pain. I was just wondering if this was a drug that you grow a tolerance to and I need a higher dose. I am taking 75mg twice a day. I have a very high tolerance to any meds even if I never have taken them before. I don't want bad side effects but I do want pain relief. Do you think I should ask doctor next month for higher dose. I know it is kind of early and I guess I should wait the whole month to see how I react to this new med but I am just curious what you guys think. I was also wondering what a tritration period is. Can someone explain this to me and is it only related to opiates?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

EJ-
    From what I understand, things like Lyrica, Neurontin, Cymbalta, etc. are all meds that usually require some adjustment/dose changing when finding the right amount that will work adequately with minimum side effects. I would deffinately give it more time to see what this dose will or will not do for you because I also think these meds (at least some of them) need time to build up to a steady level in your system. When I started the Neurontin, it took a couple of weeks before I started seeing anything I could call "real" results.

I can't answer your question about titrating periods really, but someone here can. I know what titration is, but can't really explain in a way that will answer your question. Keep checking back because there are others here who can help you with that.

I hope you start to see marked improvement with the Lyrica. If, by the time your next appointment rolls around, you aren't seeing much improvement then absolutely let your doctor know.

Please keep us posted. Take care!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
    needaplan
    (female)

needaplan HB User

When I first started, the doctor told me that we would probably have to adjust the dosage up after 2 weeks -- most people need to. But starting out at a lower dose is smart, as it may work, and it is a little harder to taper from the higher doses.

That being said, I certainly did have to adjust the dose up. That time worked like a charm, and I stayed there until I started dosing down.

I would give it at least 2 weeks to see the full impact on your pain management regime. I hope it works for you; while you do have to taper from this med, it is much easier than a narcotic. Plus, you don't develop a tolerance to this med the way you do to narcotics.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
    sueace
    Inactive
    (female)

sueace HB User

I'm taking 150mg of lyrica for my neuropathy. I'm not having too much luck with the pain but I just may need a bigger dose. If I take it during the day which the prescription say to do then I get a little dizzy and I'm afraid to drive (or use heavy equipment ) Try and see if it helps. Everyone reacts differently to meds and pain. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #13
    CoyoteBound
    Veteran
    (female)

CoyoteBound HB User

MY husband had chromic back pain and is in pain managment also. They have tried him on evreything you could think about trying for his nerve damage and nothing seemed to help his leg pain. He takes Hydrocodone10/325 plus Robaxin which he found that helps the leg pain alot. They put him on Lyrica and he said that the Lyrica helped also and they started him out on 4 a day and it is 75mg also. He went back to pain managment yesterday and told them that they needed to up his Lyrica and they did it for him. He is now taking 6 Lyricas a day between the Hydrocodone and he has seen that he has got good results so far and he is getting to sleep now where before he could lay down for a couple of hours and be right back up.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #14
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

just,
    glad you recomended another avenue and o/p glad your doc is at least treating pain!
    i found if i am open and ask my doc questions he is willing to try other avenues.
    I found some great relief with several things from the typical long acting and break through, ole fashion low dose of amitripelen, as well as imietrex.
    Though we adjust things from time to time it seems the combination is at least making live with severe pain tollerable.
    Love this board and folks here too. Lots of good ideas and of course commonailites we all share thank you folks!!!
    O/p i truely hope you get some workable compromises

Closed Thread