It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• My PHARMACIST treats me like an addict!~

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Angry HELP! My PHARMACIST treats me like an addict!~

Ok, after stating in a thread previously, that my pharmacists were just the greatest, I had somethiing happen today that really made me steam.
    My doc called on my b/t meds and went out of town until Monday. He called them in tues, [yesterday and told me I could get a refill on Sat or Sunday, and hed leave word with the pharmacy.
    I called the parmacy today because I was going out of state and would be gone when my refill was due, and wanted to know if I could transfer it to another state. Its only hydro 7.5 /200.
    The pharmacist stated that "yes the doctor had called in a refill for me for Sunday, but technically I shouldnt need it until tuesday as it should be lasting me a week." So he informed me that I could get it monday. And Ill be on the road back here on monday. After all of the ice storms, ect I wanted to have enough meds with me and not be driving back on a pill or two. I told him i was aware that the doc had called them and ok'd me to get it sat or sunday, one of the pharm. techs told me he had. then the phar. said "well if you're going to be back on monday you should have plenty to last you, and we'll just see you on monday."
    My question is: Does a Pharmacist have the right to override what a doc does? My doc has been letting me get my scripts every 5 days for ever. And Ive noticed this pharmacist being really nosey and telling me that it needs to be every week. Its like he thinks IM a freakin addict. What the h*ll" Who is in charge here. Can somone help? Ive never had any problems at all ever, with them or my doc, never lost a script, nada, and have been at this pharmacy for years. also this guy is the pharmacy manager, and this is a really tiny town. There is only one more in town and its Walmart, and I dont reeally care for them. they arent open on sundays, and that can be a pain.
    Can anyone help?
    I cant call my doc, nor would I, hes out of town on a family emergency until monday, so my only option is to get my meds monday when i get back IF its before they close, or tues. Also im having to stretch what I have now this week until they dont do much of anything. Im really kind of peeved. No IM really peeved. also not too long ago this pharmacist told my doc that id been "ripping thru a lot of pills lately." And that we needed to stick to a schedule, if the doc was writing for a weeks worth thats how it should be. Well the doc does write it like that, but does allow me to refill every 5 days because some days i need more. Also it seems like they all watch each others backs. Im so confused because my doc blames it on the pharm. for not wanting to write for more, and the pharm. blames the doc so he wont fill it until the dire end. Im about ready to throw in the towel.
    xoxoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: My PHARMACIST treats me like an addict!~

Hi Izzy's Mom! I feel your frustration! I had a pharmacist like that once. My doctor had called in a prescription for Darvon and I could get the refill on a certain date. Well, it turns out that my husband and I were going to be in Rhode Island on that date and when we got home it would be very late and the pharmacy would be closed. The following day I would not have any transportation to pick up my script and I'd have to wait until my hubby was on his way home from work that evening to get my refill. At that time I was terribly undermedicated and not seeing a pain management doc. I was definately not following doctors orders. I was taking much more than the doc had prescribed and I knew that I'd be out of my meds before we even started home. So I called the pharmacist and told him the semi-truth, that I wouldn't be here and I wanted to get my refill early. My insurance company allows for 2 early refills a year. Well, he was really on to me and said no! He said that I should have enough to last me until I got home and even the excuse that I couldn't get to the pharmacy the day we got home wasn't good enough! He decided to call my bluff to see if I was telling the truth. He OFFERED to DRIVE to my house with the refill on the day I got home to see what I would say!! Well, I even argued with him about that! He called my doctor back and told her what a fuss I was making and that was the end of my relationship with that doctor AND that pharmacy! To try and make myself look a little better.....I know I was addicted to the medication but I also know that I was in horrible pain at a time when pain management wasn't something that had surfaced in the medical community. At that time (early 80s) I think I would have done practically anything to get pain relief. Now that I'm Methadone and my pain is treated properly, I don't find myself in those situations. Sorry Izzy'sMom....I'm rambling on about me and this post is about your situation. I'm absolutely not saying that YOUR situation is like mine at all!! Don't get me wrong! I'm just offering that some pharmacists do take this kind of thing very seriously and make it their personal journey to monitor some patients who seem to ask for early refills more than just "once in a blue moon". What is your long term pain med? What is the b/t med that you need to have refilled? If you are needing your b/t med that much then it sounds like you need to have your doc change your long term pain med. Can you tell me more about what you're taking. I know you've been on the board for such a long time and I should probably remember what your situation is, but my memory is so bad. KathyMac

Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks so much for the reply~
    Im on fent 50 patch, and have been having crappy luck with them, and needing more b/t meds to help. My b/t meds are get this....vicoprofen hydro 7.5/200. Not anything like oxy. this guy seems to want me to think its in MY best interest that he watch out for me for some reason. I feel like screaming at him.
    He said these words..." "i got a call from the doc today, and he said that if you are in another state you can just have the doc call this in." I said, "Oh really!, the pharmacy told me that my doc has to have a DEA liscence in that state.[which he doesnt]." and he said "Ohhhh, i didnt tknow that." What the h*ll does he know then.
    The pharmacist at walmart here is like the guy you described. Hes like that to everyone though, Ive been told.
    My doc knows that ive had bad luck with the patches, and has been allowing me more meds than 1 7.5 hydro every 6-8 hours, is what he wrote for. Are you kidding? I need 2 every 4-6 if that, and the patch isnt working as well for me. I changed to Sandoz today, maybe that will help. My doc wont do oxy, hes said that, not to me or anyone. hes only got 3 chronic pain pts as well. I feel like i have to educate him half the time. He had me on Norco 10/325 hydro only a few days ago, 1 every 4 hours, then goes to the friggin 7.5 every 6-8, because the tylenol on the norco made me sick. My doc is kind of old as well, and once he told me i could take trazadone with the patch, then 3 days later told me that hed never said that, that hed told me NO. I love my doc, but im in a rut as Im 14 hours round trip to a pain mgmt center. My doc also told me my last visit hed never let me be without my meds, and not to ever worry. Makes me wonder if the pharm even talked to him today since he was flying to the east coast at 7 am for his mothers funeral. I have complied to everything my doc has asked, phys therapy, cat scans, mri's you name it, and i pay 100.00 for every 5 patches. and half the time i have to pay more because they dont stick and the insurance wont cover it. Ive tried the 75's and they were too strong. I know what the monthly allotment is on this med because my ex brother in law is a pharmacy owner and pharmacist. Not in my state, but hes told me what is what.
    Thanks for answering, and i cant believe what a jerk that guy was, Kathy Mac. Sorry if this is vauge, Im probably babbling, and just angry, but I feel I have valid points~
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-24-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi i was just wondering (i might have missed somtething )but why are you only getting a 5 day supply?it cost more like that you can get a free drug card on the web just type those words in it saves me about $350.00 ,if that is the problem kelsey good luck

Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thank you Kels~
    Ill post tomorrw when i have more time, thanks so much for your post, and Ill look into it. Im just getting everyone to bed. Ill be sure to look into it tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has had the same or anything close to my experience. Thanx to all who have taken time to read my post.
    xoxoxoxoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Quick update~ I talked to another pharmacist today that works there about getting my Sandoz patches, since I like them better, and she informed me that the pharmacist yesterday didnt even talk to my doc. He just took the liberty to tell me that I should have plenty to last me until my next fill. She is a friend of the family, and i know she wouldnt lie about it. Also she said he does that to lots of ppl. I wish hed drive my refills to my house, Kathy Mac! l
    thanks for all of the replies~
    xoxoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
    nicolem0819
    (female)

nicolem0819 HB User

Not to back up the pharmacist, but I have been working in the pharmacy for 6 and half years. I have worked in some of the shadest parts of town where people will do anything for drugs. I work in a big city, right by the hospital, I have seen it all. When I fill alot of control drugs for a patient we tend to watch them a little more closely. You said that your doctor only writes for a week of your meds at a time. Right there is a red flag for the pharmacy. That tells us that the doctor doesn't trust you. Another thing, you mentioned that some days you need more than others. Your prescription needs to reflect that. If your prescription said that you can only take a max of 3 a day, but some days you take 4 or 5, thats another flag for us that you are not taking as prescribed.

You need to take to your doctor, maybe your pain mangement isn't working for you if you have to take more than he is writing and get him to write for more at a time, but maybe comprimise but not getting refills or fewer of them. The fewer new scripts we see on your file the less likely it will flag us.

Usually if a person is getting a month worth of a control drug I would let them fill it 3 days before they should run out. I do make an except if someone is going out of town, but I will call the doctor and make sure that they are aware of the situation. Alot of people tell me the same story over and over to get things early.

It helps if cases like this to have a good relationship with your pharmacist to techs so they know its a legit reason for all the meds. I know it hard, but hopefully they might be more understanding and they could be more helpful with communicating with your doctor and maybe help you save some money in the end.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks Nicole~
    The reason for the scripts being filled one at a time, is that he and i both keep hoping that the patch will work well enough to where i wont need b/t meds.
    I was on the Mylans, and had so much trouble with them sticking that I couldnt get a steady stream in my system, so he was doing week by week in hopes that maybe somehthing would change. Every visit he states that if these patches would stick, maybe we could see some progress.
    I did switch to sandoz this week, and they are sticking better, so maybe that will be the way to go, and they are helping. As far as not taking as prescribed, my doc can write for whatever....and he will tell me its ok to take a few more than Im allowed a day., as long as its not more than 1 or 2 over. So when I go to get my script, it makes me look like im abusing. last week i had to have him change the script so that it would come out to what he SAID i could be taking. I feel caught in the middle here. The doc tells me that i can take more than prescribed, but yet the pharmacist, i guess has to abide, yes?
    Thank you for the insight about how things work, but it also makes me feel pretty bad, seeing that I have only asked once for an early vaca refill, and since my doc is really the one who has been undermedicating me, in my opinion, and ONE time i ran out before my refill, and the doc called them and told them to refill under a different instructions. Im not even under contract nor have we even discussed it. Thanks for the info.
    xoxoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-25-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
    len.b
    (male)

len.b HB User

HI IZZYS MOM
    WELL I guess alot of us feel this way regarding the pharmicist,
    people are people, and regardless of there job title WE will have the ones that think they can treat us as if we were drug seeking in the same manner as a REAL drug seeker would this is unfair!
    like i said in the post regarding a pharmacy i was dealing with, I did not like the negative approach they had on me ,the timing for them to get godly with me was wrong,me and doc trying to give me the best possible pain control possible with out to many meds,
    like hello i was taking hundreds of mgs pure codeine a day,honestly its going to be a struggle to find the right dose and timing to adjust and move on!
    i can see if these red flags are waving month after month then sure call the doc and find out

good luck izzy i beleive there is a reason for everything ,sometimes a bad situation can turn out to be a good thing in your case there will be !

GOOD PEOPLE ALWAYS PREVAIL

thank you
    len.b
    im going to make a quick post regarding what happened to me lately and what i did to stop the unfairly ppl

Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hello All-
    Just wanted to add my own "horror" story here. I know many of us have had bad experiences with pharmacies and/or pharmacists! It really does stink to be dealing with chronic pain, not wanting to be bound by taking medication every day for the rest of our lives, and then be made to feel the humiliation of a pharmacist who just doesn't try, or even want to try an understand how we feel. I mean, some of us get plenty of guilt from friends and family members about taking medications, you know?!?

Anyway, I am in a small town, but we do have a couple National chain pharmacies here and I used one of them and let me tell you. Once, they shorted me on my meds. Of course, I didn't realize until I got home because I had never even thought of counting the actual pills before leaving the pharmacy. I counted them when I got home, in a private surrounding. I called as soon as I realized they had shorted me 6 pills. Not a huge deal being shorted 6 pills, except for the fact that this particular medication was a controlled substance and my PM at the time didn't allow for any kind of early refill for any reason. Not even a day early. I called the pharmacy and spoke with them and was told that with certain medications, such as the one I was taking, they always did two counts and then would circle the number of pills at the bottom of the label on the bottle and then write their initials there as well. My bottle DIDN'T have the total number of pills circled, and there were no initials on the label either. They pharmacist didn't want to hear any of this. I even took the bottle back to them to show them the bottle. They told me they would look in to it and get back with me. They called me a couple days later and told me that they did an inventory count and that there were no discrepancies in their numbers, therefore they didn't short me. What could I do? NOTHING. Well, because I am careful with my meds, I didn't need a refill until 32 days anyway, so it turned out ok that time.

Yes, I did continue to use them because they are nationwide and if I am ever away from home and am at refill time, the scrip can be transferred to a different store in the same chain. Doctor said it was ok. Anyway, I ended up having another problem with them. A HUGE one I tell you!

My PM wrote scrips with 3 refills. I was on my second refill, and it was day number 40 on that scrip. because I hadn't been taking as many as my doctor alotted for each day, so the scrip actually lasted longer than the 30 days it was written for. I called and requested a refill and told them I would be in the following day to pick it up. The pharmacist told me that I didn't have any refills left. I pulled my bottle out and it clearly stated "Refills remaining- 1". I told the pharmacist, and he said that the refill had been picked up already. I immediately got a pang of panic because I didn't even know what to say. I asked the pharmacist when the scrip was picked up and who had signed for it. Well, the scrip had been picked up like 3 days before and NO ONE signed for it. At that time, my Walgreens branch didn't make people sign for prescriptions. I asked them if they could find out who got them by seeing if the meds were paid for with a check or credit card. I always paid for my medications with my debit card because they were rather costly, and I'm too lazy to write a check. (haha) Anyway, they called me back a few minutes later and told me that it was a cash sale.

I immediately called my PM doctor and told them about it. Now, thank goodness I was a compliant patient. I had never tried or even requested to get any kind of early refill (except for the Naproxin I dropped into the toilet once), I always turned in any unused pills if we changed medications, and always took my meds to each appointment for counts even though they didn't require their patients to bring meds to their appointments. Fortunately, my PM doctor didn't think anything "hokey" was going on with my end of things. I even took my bottle in for them to see. There were still a couple pills left in it as well. Unfortunately, my PM doctor couldn't write a new prescription since SOMEONE had gotten my refill only days before. I did have to suffer until my PM was able to write a new scrip for me.

I did switch pharmacies at that point, and will not use them again. I don't know who in the world got those pills, because I never announced to anyone that I was even in pain management. Nobody except for close family knew it, and they didn't even know what medications I even took. I always keep my meds in a safe place and nobody ever roams around my house to be able to have access to them. I felt so let down by this pharmacy because their policy of not making customers sign for prescriptions made it impossible to trace. Who knows, maybe someone working there got the scrip filled for themselves? I don't know, and at this point I don't care because I won't be using them again.

Well, sorry this was so long. I didn't mean to make a novel out of this post. Take care everyone, and please don't let the folks who don't know what we go through on a daily basis get you down. It's none of their business, and until they walk a mile in our shoes, they won't understand. Keep your chins up, because you have a right to your dignity, and you have to take care of you!!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I also had an incident of being shorted on my pain meds, but it turned out much better.

At the time I was using the Duragesic patches and the Actiq fentanyl lozenges. I use a specialized pharmacy that even does their own compounding, and many of the area's pain patients use this pharmacy.

Anyway, after I got home I counted the Actiq lozenges. Not something I usually did, but for some reason this time I counted. And I noticed that I was 6 lozenges short. At first I couldn't believe it, because they did practice the double counting and circling thing. So I recounted a number of times. Because one doesn't use as many lozenges as pills, 6 units were alot to be shorted. I was relatively new at the time to pain management and didn't even know about the can of worms I could be opening by calling the pharmacy and telling them I was 6 short. I didn't even think that they might flag my record as a possible drug seeker.

Well, I made the call. I got the pharmacist and just told him that I was short 6 lozenges. I asked if they ever did an inventory and waz told yes, regularly on these type of meds. So I asked that if they would take my call into consideration the next time they counted and if they were 6 over, would they consider fully filling my prescription. He said sure. I got a call later that day and sure enough, they were 6 over. So I picked up the remainder the next day. And they never treated my badly over the incident, then or at any time since then.

From what I'm reading here it sounds like maybe I was lucky. I'm really sorry for those of you who have had such bad experiences. I know how it feels to be treated like an addict, just not by my pharmacy.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
    I was on the Mylans, and had so much trouble with them sticking that I couldnt get a steady stream in my system, so he was doing week by week in hopes that maybe somehthing would change
    Izzy's Mom, I had a problem when I first started using the patch as well. I was on a 25mcg Duragisc, and for the life of me I couldn't get it to stay on. I read about the Tegaderm patch covers on these very boards and what a difference they made. I have even been able to go down to the 12.5mcg patch (this is relatively new). My patch is JENSSEN and it's a generic brand. I pay 30 dollars for a months supply. I was also using the JENSSEN brand of 25mcg.

The product is 3M Tegaderm 9505W. There are 20 to a box and will last for a two month supply of patches if you are changing the patch every 3 days. I get mine at my pharmacy, but Wal-mart has them also. If they don't, ask them to order for you. They cost about 15-18 dollars a box of 20. Size is 6 cm X 7 cm. They are perfect. I understand you can also write or call the manufacturer to get some patch covers to help them stay on as well. This was just way easier for me.

Good luck Izzy's mom...I hope things work out for you. I hate that you have to get scripts every week. Unfortunately the person who was a pharm. tech hit the nail on the head. More stringent DEA laws has everyone being much more careful these days, and IMHO your doctor should be prescribing an amount that will get you comfortably through the month, or he could be facing a visit from the DEA as well. Around here they look at that sort of thing, how much is doctor prescribing...etc.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #13
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bgsigns View Post
    Izzy's Mom, I had a problem when I first started using the patch as well. I was on a 25mcg Duragisc, and for the life of me I couldn't get it to stay on. I read about the Tegaderm patch covers on these very boards and what a difference they made. I have even been able to go down to the 12.5mcg patch (this is relatively new). My patch is JENSSEN and it's a generic brand. I pay 30 dollars for a months supply. I was also using the JENSSEN brand of 25mcg.

The product is 3M Tegaderm 9505W. There are 20 to a box and will last for a two month supply of patches if you are changing the patch every 3 days. I get mine at my pharmacy, but Wal-mart has them also. If they don't, ask them to order for you. They cost about 15-18 dollars a box of 20. Size is 6 cm X 7 cm. They are perfect. I understand you can also write or call the manufacturer to get some patch covers to help them stay on as well. This was just way easier for me.
    Good luck Izzy's mom...I hope things work out for you. I hate that you have to get scripts every week. Unfortunately the person who was a pharm. tech hit the nail on the head. More stringent DEA laws has everyone being much more careful these days, and IMHO your doctor should be prescribing an amount that will get you comfortably through the month, or he could be facing a visit from the DEA as well. Around here they look at that sort of thing, how much is doctor prescribing...etc.
    Thanks for the reply...You know its bad enough to tell him every week that they dont stay on, and rip thru boxes of those, and then need my bt meds ealier than what he writes. Heck yes, it makes me look pretty bad. I think these Sandoz are working better. Way better than the mylans, so ill hope for the best. thank you so very much~ P.S. My doc only has 3 CP patients. He did state that if we had to go to anything stronger than the vicoprofen that wed have to go under contract, and he doesnt want to do that. He has no problem throwing the patches at me every week, but the vicoprofens, hes all tight with. I dont understand. As far as I know, he doesnt prescribe oxy to anyone~ Len, thanks so much for the support!~
    xoxoxoxxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
    mabent
    Veteran
    (female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - I have had similar experiences with pharmacists. The pathetic thing was that my prescription was for Evista - certainly not a drug that a person would become addicted to or would want to abuse!!!! I always get my daily pills together to last 14 days (in pill boxes). This time I was going to be away for a month and wanted to be sure to have enough. So - I asked the pharmacy to refill my prescription early (I had 3 refills). They acted as if I were demented!!! They blamed it on the insurance company and said that it was the insurance company who would not give refills until a certain number of pills had been used. I was furious because in the past, if I wanted to get all my refills at once I was able to do so. Then I asked to refill a prescription which I hadn't refilled for about 7 months but which was still valid. To this request the pharmacist said that I couldn't do that because I hadn't refilled the drug (a fever-blister salve) for months and that I would have to get a new prescription! I wanted to have some just in case I would get a fever blister from being so anxious before my trip( which has happened before).
    From this experience I have learned that the pharmacies and insurance companies are monitoring all our drugs, no matter what they are, because they feel that we are not competent enough to do it ourselves. The insurance company admitted this and told me that they just want to be sure that we aren't taking an amount which wasn't prescribed! I have asked my doctor to prescribe as many pills as he legally can, so that I don't have to go through this again. He agrees that the pharmacies and insurance companies are trying to be our doctors. This post is probably confusing, but I hope you get the point I'm trying to make.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
    mzpain
    (female)

mzpain HB User

Isnt it crappy how we go through so much already, have to deal with difficult doctors, society etc... just to end up being screwed over by power hungry pharmacists that think they are big enough to over rule the doctors orders. But did ya know that the docs are sometimes afraid of the pharmacists too, because the pharmacists try and rule the doctors and even threaten to turn the docs in if the docs dont comply.

Closed Thread