It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• nerve pain - any ideas???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
    cm261
    (male)

cm261 HB User
    nerve pain - any ideas???

I have been have a flare up in my c-spine lately and have been having pain in both of my shoulders and down to my fingers. Anyone have any good ideas on good meds. for this or if they had a choice would it be Lyrica or Neurontin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User
    Re: nerve pain - any ideas???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmatthews1326 View Post
    I have been have a flare up in my c-spine lately and have been having pain in both of my shoulders and down to my fingers. Anyone have any good ideas on good meds. for this or if they had a choice would it be Lyrica or Neurontin

I have been on Neurontin and it works wonders. But if it does not work then try the other med. I asked my PM for just a small script for them, to try them out just to see if they work and they did.

Rob

Old 01-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
    Katirina
    (female)

Katirina HB User

I have nerve pain in my legs from spinal stenosis. I have been on Lyrica for about a year but lately the pain is so bad I am on Ultram and Vicodin and also go to the pain clinic for injections series. I hope you start feeling better.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
    Rob61
    (male)

Rob61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katirina View Post
    I have nerve pain in my legs from spinal stenosis. I have been on Lyrica for about a year but lately the pain is so bad I am on Ultram and Vicodin and also go to the pain clinic for injections series. I hope you start feeling better.

I feel your pain. My pain is from a failed back surgery L-4 L-5 L5- S-1 with nerve damage facet pain the works. I also get it into the legs hips ect. IT is sometimes unbareable but the Neurontin did help. When I first started taking it, I felt like I never had back problems. I also take ultram.

Hope this helps

Rob

Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
    Staystrong
    (male)

Staystrong HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmatthews1326 View Post
    May I suggest the idea that the pain you are experiencing in your neck, shoulders and down to your fingers is the result of muscles at the front of your neck called the scalenes pressing on the brachial plexus, the group of nerves that derive from all the nerve roots from the cervical spine. I would like to suggest also that you try to get a massage of the muscles at the front and back of the neck to see if your pain reduces. The scalene muscles attach from the upper cervical spine to the 1st rib in the front of the neck. If the massage does reduce your pain, you would then need to strengthen the muscles of the back of the arm, triceps, the back of the shoulder, the posterior deltoids and the muscles between the shoulder blades, the rhomboids and midtraps. Strengthening these muscles would open up the front of the neck and allow the nerves of the brachial plexus to run freely through this area without being impinged by the scalenes.

Please investigate a syndrome called thoracic outlet syndrome. You might find the description of symptoms to be extremely similar to the ones you describe. I realize that the idea that a muscle being inflamed and impinging on a nerve creating a nerve symptom is something that has not been discussed with you but the basic premise of the medical community as a whole is to look for structural abnormalities such as herniated discs, stenosis or arthritis as the cause of nerve related symptoms.

Check out thoracic outlet syndrome and the cause being spasming of the scalene muscles impinging on the brachial plexus and let me know what you think.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
    Staystrong
    (male)

Staystrong HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katirina View Post

Please allow me to suggest to you that the nerve pain you are feeling in your legs is not from stenosis but from the sciatic nerve being impinged as it runs through the gluteal region(buttocks) by a muscle called the piriformis. Please investigate a syndrome called piriformis syndrome or sciatica and look at the potential causes. To see if the piriformis is impinging on your sciatic nerve as the cause of your nerve pain, lay on your back and take the knee of the leg you are feeling the symptoms in and bring it toward the opposite shoulder. You should feel a stretch in the buttocks of the leg you are stretching. Hold the stretch for 20 secs. Then stand up and see if your symptoms are decreased. If so, you can reduce the inflammation of the piriformis by getting a massage to the buttocks region as well as strengthening the hamstrings, hip abductors and buttock muscles.

I realize that I am suggesting that an inflamed muscle is the cause of the nerve pain you are experiencing versus what doctors are telling you. But so far it doesn't seem their doing very well in helping you resolve your pain.

Please just investigate on the web these two syndromes: sciatica and piriformis syndrome. If you feel the symptoms described are similar to your symptoms, try the little test stretch I suggested and see if your symptoms decrease. If so, you know you are on your way to resolving your symptoms for good and getting off the pain medication train.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
    cm261
    (male)

cm261 HB User

I know that when I experience stress, my muscles spasm and the pain gets unbearable. Thus, my physician thinks that it is stress related. Having said that, I have an MRI scheduled for this Tuesday.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
    nichole72
    (female)

nichole72 HB User

Have you only had the nuerotin and lyrica as your choices of nerve pain? Right now I also have cymbalta and pamelor. I'm taking nuerotin 1200mg and cymbalta 60mg and pamelor 20mgs a DAY. I have been on lyrica twice the 1st time 75 mg a day the second time 150mg a day. It didnt seem to work for me as good as nuerotin so I stopped taking it on my own and it went back to nuerotin. I know its hard but just be patient and good luck.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User

I had a lot of success with Pamelor but alas there also MANY long term side effects of Pamelor so be careful!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
    Janice1033
    (female)

Janice1033 HB User

Hi there: Just a suggestion for the nerve pain. I have severe DDD in lower back and I have been taking Gabapentin for about 3 years now.

It does not work every single day but most of them. It has sure made my life alot more bearable.

I also have been recently diagnosed with TOS ( thoracic outlet syndrome) but have not seen any difference with this pain while taking Gabapentin.

This might be something you might want to try.

Take care
    Janice

Closed Thread