It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• After Steroid Injections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
    Katirina
    (female)

Katirina HB User
    Unhappy After Steroid Injections

I have spinal stenosis and it causes the normal pain in the legs, and also tailbone pain and sciatic pain on one side. I have had this for about 1 1/2 years and it is getting worse. I have been on different med - now Vicodin when the pain isn't too bad and Percoset when it get worse and also some muscle relaxers at night. I have to work a little over two years until I can retire. I work full time - 4-10hr days each week and I am sitting all day long. I was getting steroid injections in the doctor's office then referred to a pain clinic and have been getting injections at a pain clinic with an x-ray machine to pin point areas. There was to be a series of 3 injections and he was pin pointing areas of pain. I had two of the first series and they seemed to help and then the doctor had some emergency and I had to wait longer for the next one and I was very bad - in a lot of pain and very difficult to go to work. I had the injection and it has helped some and I have another one in six weeks. He hasn't been specific on how my more I can have. After all this my question is what can I do next that might give me pain relief? Would it help to talk to a surgeon? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: After Steroid Injections

Hi Katrina! Sorry about your pain..I can relate! I've had some experience with steroidal injections for pain in my sacral joints. One thing I want to mention is that my doc doesn't recommend more than a series of 2-3 injections every 8 months to a year. Perhaps it's just his particular practice, but I know that the steroids, though terrific anti-inflammatories, can cause some nasty side-effects if used too frequently. Some of the problems can be be a rise in blood sugar, a decrease in the body's immunity to infections and disease, worsening of osteoporosis/thinning of the bones and a big increase in appetite. The relief that I received after the injections was short-lived. The steroid injections included a numbing medication that masked the pain only until it wore off (a few hours). The steroid med continues to work however and can decrease inflammation. In the end I opted for surgery to fuse my sacral joints. If I were you I would ask my doc about the risks involved in multiple steroid injections over time and let him/her give you the benefit versus risk statistics. You mentioned asking about surgery or seeing a surgeon...I'm not well versed in the kinds of operations that are suggested when suffering from spinal stenosis. But I do know that there are lots of other options available besides the steroids. Someone with more experience will be by shortly (I'm sure!) to give you better info. All the best - KathyMac

Closed Thread