It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Myofascial pain syndrome / chronic myofascial pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
    vita64
    (female)

vita64 HB User
    Myofascial pain syndrome / chronic myofascial pain

I suffer from undiagnosed chronic neck pain dating back to 1994. Right now I am attempting to find out whether chronic myofascial pain might be my diagnosis at long last. I'm interested in hearing from anyone here with CMP/MPS or anyone who is knowledgeable about it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
    u2star
    (female)

u2star HB User
    Re: Myofascial pain syndrome / chronic myofascial pain

Yes, I was diagnosed with this. I get trigger point injections into the painful spots (lidocaine). other treatment options are available. Check with your Dr.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Vita, and welcome to the boards. Have you ever asked about TMJ disorder? I had this for years, and because it leads often to referred facial pain, phantom tooth pain, neck and ear pain, ect, it can often be misdiagnosed or overlooked.
    Its a disorder of the temperol mandibular joint, and can cause very very severe pain. I had sugery done on mine many years ago now, and also sleep with a bite guard, and havent had trouble with it since, although I have other health and pain issues. This might be totally wrong, but its something else to think about, I wish you sucess in finding a DX quickly.
    Your Friend, Fabby

Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Yes, Vita I have this also. I was told my TMJ was caused from this. I have it in my neck and jaw, elbow, back, hands, pretty much everywhere. I was on morphine and oxy ir for years but stopped them a few months ago because I was concerned about my tolerance. I had my gallbladder out and they couldn't hardly touch the pain so that was my main reason for getting off of them. I tried everything from trigger point injections to accupuncture and nothing helped. The sad thing is not much is known about it so some doctors under treat it big time.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
    vita64
    (female)

vita64 HB User

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

I've been reading up on chronic myofascial pain and have found the following things listed as treatments ...

Identifying and controlling perpertuating factors
    Treatment of insomnia which prevents restorative sleep
    Gentle exercises and stress-removing activities
    Identifying trigger points and treating with trigger point therapy
    Physical therapy including such things as the "stretch and spray technique" and hands-on massage
    Certain vitamins and minerals (MSM, etc.)
    BC powder (aspirin, caffeine, salicylamide)
    TENS unit
    Certain drug combos (Modafinil and Trazodone, etc.)
    Non-steroidal trigger point injections (either lidocaine or dry needling)
    Pancuronium or botox injections

As I'm just beginning my investigation, I don't really have anything to say about the above list except that some of it just seems like common sense and plenty of it bears further scrutiny.

The following were listed as NOT helpful ...

Steroid injections
    Attempting to strengthen a muscle that has a trigger point because it's already physiologically contracted
    Excess carbs
    Anti-inflammatories
    Sugar, caffeine

They're right about the steroid injections. They did nothing for me except generate another medical bill.

I already gave up caffeine and am on a low-carb diet. I haven't been able to eliminate sugar, although I'd go completely sugarless if I honestly believed it would make a significant difference.

Someone recommended Aleve to me, but it's an anti-inflammatory, so ...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
    tnpain
    (female)

tnpain HB User

hello,this is tn pain,i was originally diagnosed with myofacial pain disfunction,had the mouth piece made,and all that non sense.after 15 months of severe pain i have now seen a neurologist who has diagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia.do some research and see if the symptoms are consistant with what you are experiencing.if you are in the same boat im in you are in alot of pain,and all doctors assume you are a drug addict.i eventually had to obtain an online dr. just to get pain meds.although i do not like having to take this large amount of meds,the alternative is much worse,spending day after day in so much pain that i cant even get out bed,work,or any of the other daily responsibilities i have.without the meds i spend much of my time crying because the pain is so intense.when you research this condition you will read that this is the most painful thing known to man,and that there have been many suicides as a result of the pain one endures from trigeminal neuralgia.i wish you the best and hope this is not what your pain is coming from,there isnt much in the way of treatment.very discouraging.good luck.also if anyone knows of an online dr please let me know.mine has recently stopped serving my state.thanks

Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Hmm, Tnpain its interesting you also have trigeminal neuralgia as I do too. I don't think mine is the contributing factor though because I do have myofascial damage throughout my body as per my neurologist. Does make a person wonder though if they are connected.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
    tnpain
    (female)

tnpain HB User
    Unhappy Re: Myofascial pain syndrome / chronic myofascial pain

there is a web site if you type trigeminal neuralgia in the search you should pull up a link to dr shaw or shah,cant remember.check this site.there are alot of helpful tips on the way symptoms can filter through your body and the effects it has on your mental state,as well as over health,and the things that most commonly trigger this condition.are you being treated for tn or mypd?also can you tell when certain things or activities cause you more pain?my symptoms are sometimes just spontaneous,and others are triggered by common everyday tasks such as chewing,talking,brushing teeth,and even coughing or yawning. talk soon i hope...........tnpain........the web site to dr.shah iswww.trigeminalneuralgia.us/ click on the picture of the second lady down and go through all the options,also read the other articles and testimonials.one more question,have male dr. treated you as though you are there for drugs and disregard your complaints of pain?my neurologist is a woman and she is wonderful.my primary dr tried to pass this off as stress.has this happened to you?

Last edited by tnpain; 02-27-2007 at 07:21 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Tnpain, I tried neurontin and it did nothing so then we tried tegretol and I lost control of my arms and legs so had to stop that. Right now the only meds I'm on is ativan (because of being on prednisone for so long) and temazepam for sleep and black cohosh. I was on MScontin and oxyir but came off of that myself. Actually my neurologist is a male and he is the best. He doesn't know I stopped the narcotics though so when he finds out he probably won't be happy with me. My family doc is a lady and she told me anytime I thought I needed back on the narcotics it was no problem. I'm like you pretty much anything I do aggravates the myofascial. The tgn isn't bothering me too much right now. Actually, yes before I saw the neurologist they tried telling me it was all in my head basically. I had a different family doc then though. I know eventually I'll have to take the narcotics again but I'd like to put it off for as long as possible again.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
    tnpain
    (female)

tnpain HB User

good luck twisten,i have been on lortab for nearly a year now.high doses 4 times a day.i am in constant pain and would love to be off meds.but my life is completely altered without meds,as in i dont have one.i have 2 teenagers on the go with school athletics all the time,and i would rather live on meds and die eventually from those reprocussions,than to live as a person who is already dead.worst of all to miss out on my kids lives.i did try neurontin,and with the pain meds had much better days,and took less narcotics,but the neuro dr took me off them at my first visit.keep me posted.......tnpain

Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
    Nu2patch
    (female)

Nu2patch HB User

Hi everyone! I am so happy someone asked this questiong. When i went to the pain management dr, i told him about pain i was having in my arms and legs, and he squezzed here and there and told me oh u have myofascial pain, like its no big deal. He said walk a mile a day, it'll help. Can someone please tell me what this condition is so i can be more updated on it. Thanks a bunch!
    Nu 2 Patch

Closed Thread