HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Epideral Injections? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/474956-epideral-injections.html)

Angel34 02-24-2007 02:39 PM

Epideral Injections?

Hello everyone. I'm sure you don't remember me but I posted here back in September with chronic neck and back pain. It has been going on for a year now with no relief. Yesterday, I went to a new pain management doctor (this is the second one) and I am feeling somewhat hopeful. I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease and chronic muscle spasms. The doctor put me on lortab for the pain, which was a huge relief because every other doc I have seen has refused to prescribe anything stronger than ibuprofen. Anyway, I have had trigger point injections, 5 months of physical therapy, been to a neurologist and a chiropractor with no results. The new doc now wants to try epideral injections. I am very scared. Has anyone else tried these? If so, are they very painful and did they work. Thanks for your time.

inda 02-25-2007 08:09 AM

Re: Epideral Injections?

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]{{{ Angel }}}

I also have DDD.. plus other things... I have done the epidural and it worked for ME.. sometimes it hasnt for people. I have found taking 600mg of ibuprofen 3x a day has helped me amazingly.. I was ready to go and do the epidural again and have gotten some relief so I decided to put it off until the pain returns. Some of the other things i do fo rmy neck is ICE, when it gets so that i cant hardly move see do anything I result to ice packs.. it takes about 10 mins of a little more agony but well worth it. I also use a heating pad nonstop.

Since you did PT didnt they give you any exercies you could do at home?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

nichole72 02-25-2007 03:08 PM

Angel34,
I to have dd in cervical,thorastic and lumber plus other problems. I did do the epidural injections but for they made me worse than what I started with before I went the pain managemnt. I did 3 seris in hope of relief from pain but no such luck! They decide to do radio frenquency on me with hepls block the nerves temporaliy and that work pretty good except in my case in my cervical that hit my C5-C6 and I have lost use of my right arm and other problems that occurred with it. All I can say first make sure you are 100% comfortable with your doctor and thier choices and do what you feel is best for you. As far as the medicine are you taking anything for nerve pain? They do help a little as your doctor about nerve pain meds. And as far as the pain for epidural injections my doc offer sedation and that work for me just a liitl pain at the injenctions sites afterwards. I wish you the best just remember do what you are comfortable with dont let the doctors pressure you they did that to me and know I'm paying the price. I wish you good luck!

madamkitty 02-25-2007 04:36 PM

Hi Angel, I have DDD also, along with OS and 2 ruptured disk at the C4 &C5. I've had 2 epidurals in the last year and they are all that keeps the pain away in my spine. I've have 2 kinds of epidurals in my life. The first one was just a shot in my spine with me leaning over. The 2 I've had in the last year included an x-ray machine that the doctor used to make sure the medicine was going to where he wanted it. The second type is what I'm getting now and I'd rather go thru the few minutes of pain for that first needle to get the relief of 5-6 months it gives me. I can almost walk like a normal person again.

Jack24 02-25-2007 06:27 PM

The first 5 epidurals I had were without conscious sedation. Not the best way. Ask your doc if this is available. The procedure is used with a local that will give you numbness for a few hours, then it will be worse for a few days, then better if it is going to help when the steroid kicks in. It is a cortico-steroid, not the type used for building muscle. It will take a few days to get over the epi.

Angel34 02-25-2007 07:16 PM

Hi again. When I found this site in September, it was so comforting to me to hear the genuine concern everyone has for each other here. That's why I am once again asking for help and/or advise. I am not sure what type of injections I will be getting. The doc just told me he was going to give me epideral injections to try to figure out what is going on with me. Like I said before, this is the first time I have seen him. I am just so nervous because I had a horrible experience with an epideral when I had my son. The doc who did it poked me in the spine 7 or 8 times and then dug around for what seemed like forever. I realize this procedure is different but it is still an epideral, right? Not to mention the fact that I don't even know this doctor. I was only in his office for a couple of minutes. He gave me the prescription and set up the appt. for the injections. I am very worried!