It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Urinary Retention from Meds??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
    Urinary Retention from Meds??

I recently had 3 meds changed on me, and I am not sure which one is causing this weird side effect. If I may be so blunt....when I urinate, it feels like there is more to come out, but the flow is slow, and needing more than usual "pushing" to get it all out. I think it can be classified as a Urinary Retention (even tho its not something I have ever had so I am not positive). Def. not a UTI.

Meds increased were as follows: Amitriptyline, Oxycontin, and began Celebrex.

Thanks.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Last edited by babs17; 03-07-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Re: Urinary Retention from Meds??

Chances are very good it's the Oxycontin. Opiates are well known to cause urinary retention. The more you take (the higher the dose) the more difficulty you can have.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey babs, Director is right. Any opiate can cause urinary retention, If anything Celebrex should make you have to go mopre frequently as fluids are drawn from your body, I've never heard of Elevil causing a problem but opiates can certainly do it. The problem aside from discomfort and frequent trips is that you probably aren't emptying your bladdr completely which puts you at greater risk for a UTI. Try increasing your water intake, if your not drinking the recomended 6-8 glasses of water a day, decreasing water intake will just make it more difficult to go, If you're well hydrated it's much easier to start the flow.

Not to worry though, just because you have reached alevel of oxy that has a side effect you might not accomadate too, doesn't mean you can't switch to another clas of meds and have less problems. THere are also meds that dialate the urethra, like Uricholine sp? wich also helps.

I've met folks that this side efefct was so bad they had to straight cath themselves throughout the day. It's a dose capping side effect for many people.

Good luck, Dave

Old 03-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Thanks for the input. I will talk to my MD about it. I am going to try and increase my H2o intake as you suggested. At first I thought it was the Elavil since people take it for Overactive bladder. And I am on a high dose of that...out of all the meds I take. Humm...we'll see.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Closed Thread