It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Just back from ER visit.. Actually feeling some relief.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User
    Just back from ER visit.. Actually feeling some relief.

I couldn't handle the pain today, and finally I cracked. My father took me to the ER, where they put me in the express care and I got right in to talk to a Dr. He ended up being very nice and understanding, bein honest in the fact that there is nothing he knows that can help. He said that I may just need stronger medication, and I told him that I just basically took myself off of Duragesic, and the Dr didn't want to up my Oxycontin because he says I'm on too many meds. I told him I was on 20mg 2x daily, and he looked at me funny and said he knew people who were on 160mg at one time. He than gave me a shot of Dilaluid, and a 5mg Valium. Between these two, I feel better than I've felt in months. I think that although the Dilaluid definatly was helpful, Im going to make sure and ask my Dr for Valium, as it really seemed to relax me, which in turn I think actually helps my pain. The Dr in the ER said it is a muscle relaxer and an anti anxiety drug. Just thought I'd share, as I am grateful for all the help from every1 on this board.

Bryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Re: Just back from ER visit.. Actually feeling some relief.

Im so happy for you! Just a thought, but is there ANY way you could have these two docs visit? Can you send your ER records to your new doc, or whoever you are seeing? This guy sure had a lot of knowledge for an ER doc, and its such a shame that he would be more knowledgeable than the docs youve had. Id keep this guy in my back pocket for sure!
    Good for you, IM so happy for you, I hope you rest well, you deserve it~
    xoxoxoxoxo,
    IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 03-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Thank you for sharing your experience about your er visit. I went to the er yesterday for pain but unfortunately My doc was not as understanding. And because I did not have a driver i could not get anything stronger for pain. I was only able to get toradol and solumedrol(steriod). Sometimes I feel they think I am a med seeker which I am not, just a person with alot of pain.
    Rachel

Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
    mzpain
    (female)

mzpain HB User

Izzy's Mom is right< I hope you had the ER send Dr. Rubinfeld a copy of their report of your visit, he will want it . If ya didnt just make sure when ya see him ya tell him of the visit and his office can get a copy faxed right over. I am estatic for you kid! Izzy's Mom is right YOU DESERVE IT! Just for your information though Valium is a benzo and when they say you can become addicted to it they mean (besides the usual bad addiction) that if you take it regularly your body HAS TO BE TAPERED, its alot more serious with a benzo because as far as I know you CAN DIE from its withdrawals. With our usual narcotics you cant die, just feel like you are, as far as I know. Anyway enough preaching you go ENJOY something, anything while your not in pain.Take care
    Mzpain

Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanx MsPain, my buddy!~

Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
    mzpain
    (female)

mzpain HB User

Ditto Girfriend!!
    I hope your doing well, also your mom and especially dad!

Mzpain

Old 03-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

[removed] The reason I was going to ask my Dr for Valium, is I thought that maybe just because it didn't totally help alot before (and it did help a little, but it totally knocked me out even taking half a pill), maybe it was helping now and helping more in combination with the pain meds. So I'm sorry if you thought I was saying it was a wonder drug, or if you thought I was saying in the above post that it was the first time I ever used it, because I didn't mean for anybody to draw that meaning out of it. Also, just so every1 knows, I took a one today, and an hour later was knocked out. So I really doubt I will ask my Dr for more. I figured maybe because my body is so used to bein on meds now, maybe it would tolerate the Valium more. But I guess not. Maybe it wasn't the Valium last night, maybe it was all the Dalaluid that helped me. IDK. Alls i know is I went from a 10 to a 6, and it was the first time in a while I got down that low and it was a nice feeling to know its possible to get some relief. My father came with me into the ER to talk to the doc last night, and it really helped when he damn near broke into tears. So he said he will bring me to all of my apts from now on, and will call on Monday morning to get me an emergency apt with my current pm, to see what we can do. I have a strong feeling it will help. Also, he is going to take me to Dr Rubinfields. I appreciate all of your help so far Rayefaye, I hope that clears it up. Sorry if I wasn't more clear buddy.

Bryan

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-10-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Bryan, I'm glad to hear that you got some much needed rest and it could have been to two medicines combined. I meant no harm by what I said I was just trying to clear something up and maybe you should let your doctor know how this helped you and maybe they can lower the dosage so you won't be clearly knocked out. I'm also glad that your dad has decided to help take you to the doctor and maybe realize how bad you hurt. My mother always thinks I'm some how faking even though I have lost the use of my left arm and my left arm is draw up to where my left hand touches my left shoulder. I have also lost most of the use of my right arm and if it weren't for my husband helping me all the time, I won't know what to do. So I know about how people view you and whether you as bad off as you say. My youngest brother didn't believe I was in as bad of shape as I am until I had pnuemonia and like to have died and he stayed with me one night at the hospital. My husband said that he didn't realize how bad off I was till then. Sorry, if I have offended someone but I'm a type of person who deals with facts not gossip and I happen to remember what people say. Which I always get in trouble for calling people out on what they say when they change their story. My ex-husband was always bad for this plus I had a lot of so-called friends who were the same way, so sorry, if I've offended anyone. I also wanted to mention that a doctor had recommended Botox shots for someone in your condition, Botox is given to help relax the muscles. I've had them before and help some but my muscles where to far gone, so it didn't help. But that doesn't mean that it might not help you, I also read that it was a combination of muscle/nerve problem which the doctor had suggested Neurontion for nerve pain which is what I take for nerve pain. I hope maybe the info will help some because I'm still researching you condition because I believe you need some kind of relief.

Last edited by rayefaye; 03-11-2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayefaye View Post
    Hi Bryan, I'm glad to hear that you got some much needed rest and it could have been to two medicines combined. I meant no harm by what I said I was just trying to clear something up and maybe you should let your doctor know how this helped you and maybe they can lower the dosage so you won't be clearly knocked out. I'm also glad that your dad has decided to help take you to the doctor and maybe realize how bad you hurt. My mother always thinks I'm some how faking even though I have lost the use of my left arm and my left arm is draw up to where my left hand touches my left shoulder. I have also lost most of the use of my right arm and if it weren't for my husband helping me all the time, I won't know what to do. So I know about how people view you and whether you as bad off as you say. My youngest brother didn't believe I was in as bad of shape as I am until I had pnuemonia and like to have died and he stayed with me one night at the hospital. My husband said that he didn't realize how bad off I was till then. Sorry, if I have offended someone but I'm a type of person who deals with facts not gossip and I happen to remember what people say. Which I always get in trouble for calling people out on what they say when they change their story. My ex-husband was always bad for this plus I had a lot of so-called friends who were the same way, so sorry, if I've offended anyone. I also wanted to mention that a doctor had recommended Botox shots for someone in your condition, Botox is given to help relax the muscles. I've had them before and help some but my muscles where to far gone, so it didn't help. But that doesn't mean that it might not help you, I also read that it was a combination of muscle/nerve problem which the doctor had suggested Neurontion for nerve pain which is what I take for nerve pain. I hope maybe the info will help some because I'm still researching you condition because I believe you need some kind of relief.
    Rayefaye, I know you didn't mean no harm, sorry if I sounded like I took it that way. It actually makes me glad that you would actually go back and remember things from my past posts. I think its really cool how we can all show each other support, and try and help each other out. I respect your honesty, and I'm sorry if my last post seemed like I was offended, because I wasn't. I'm really sorry to hear about how your mother thinks your faking your pain at times, to be honest with you it hurts me to think about how messed up people can be. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier, I have a really really bad weekend. I feel alot better now than I felt over the weekend, and went to the Dr's this morning. I had my father call the get me right in with the PM, he came with me, and I actually got my dosages changed a little bit. I'm going to look into those botox injections, thats one thing although I've heard of it, I never really looked into. I know I've already said it, but I appreciate the fact that you would take the time to research my condition. I had one Dr reccomend the epidural injections, as he said he found a slit or slipped disk (I think he said two of them). I was a little wary though because out of 3 Dr's who looked at the MRI, he was the only one who found anything like this. The only thing the other two seen were minimal bulged disks. I was going to let him do them, but after researching it online I found that alot of chronic pelvic pain patients say that it made them worse off afterwards. I dont remember how, but it just made them worse off. Anyways, before I go on and on, thanks again!

Bryan

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Bryan, sorry to hear you had a bad weekend, I know how that is though. Because sometimes I have really bad days then I may go through a couple of days where it's not so bad. I also understand you concern over the injections because sometimes they work and sometimes they make matters worse. But at least someone find something to prove it's not in your head. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope you're having a better day. As far as the research goes I always enjoy researching things because my body may not be in good shape but I still have a sharp mind. I always been an open minded person who is enjoys learning more about anything. I sure do hope you are better and I hope the doctor can help you.

Last edited by rayefaye; 03-13-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM   #11
    jamesyboy
    Inactive
    (male)

jamesyboy HB User

benzo's, alcohol, barbiturates, are the drugs that you can die from if u withdrawl too hard. and although it is extremely rare narcotic withdrawl has ben known to cause a heart to collapse. (only in extreme situations)

Closed Thread