It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• attention youngone or anyone from NJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User
    attention youngone or anyone from NJ

I was wondering if you could lead me in the rite direction. Basically I have failed back syndrome with several surgeries and many other records dating back to 1999. I have been determined perm disabled because of this by several doctors. My situation is work comp injury and I am at the mercy of the work comp system. So far they have only authorized me to see one pain management doctor and the problem is he treats me with 60 perc 7.5 per month and is totally against trying any other type of pain meds. I went to my lawyer and she is filing a motion in front of the judge in order to have me evaluated by another doctor. She said this could take a very long time and for now she said I should go see another pain management doctor and pay for it out of pocket until she can resolve this. My problem is I don't want to go to several doctors and find out the expensive way that they are unwilling to try different types of pain meds also. Can you recomend any doctors in our area that may be a little on the sympathetic side. Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: attention youngone or anyone from NJ

Hi ejreiss, here's a couple of names I heard someone mention from NJ, Dr. Rubinfield from Denville, Dr. Vosough and Dr Adam Sakstien. Someone also metion that they have a pain management clinic at the Morristown Memorial Hospital. I hope these names help.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

Hey ejreiss. Rayefaye gave you three good choices from what I hear atleast. I tried Vosough, and he didn't help me at all, but the reason is I think my age, although he didn't come out and say so (I just turned 23 on the 5th), and also because I have chronic pelvic pain syndrome which he isn't really familiar with at all. With you, I think he would be a good choice, seeing how Surgical Disaster has had so much luck with him. Surg also reccomended to me Dr Rubinfield in Denville (which Rayefaye also mentioned), judging by his webpage, he seems to be a very good pain doc. I'm actually going to give him a try. He even has a link posted on his page to an article saying how it isn't fair that people who really need pain meds have so much trouble getting it. Where in NJ are you located? If your closer to me (I live in the Ocean County area), I will give you the name of my Dr, he will atleast be better than the one your seeing now).

Bryan

Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User

Yes youngone I am also from ocean county. I live in toms river. I am just so sick of seeing the same pain management doctor. The only doctor that work comp will authorize me to see. My problem is I think it is only fair for me to be able to try long acting opiates. Seeing how there is a lot of people on them for similar pain problems I only think that it is fair and at least let me try it to see if it helps. This doctor is so against it and even said he would only prescribe it for someone who is dying. I think I should be the one to decide in the end if this is the best choice for me to relieve pain and restore some function. Thanks for your help rayfae and youngone. Maybe I'll give one of them a call. I only hope the doctor I chose is compasionate to my needs because for now I have to pay cash for the doc visit because work comp will not authorize it until I take them back to court. I'm sure it will eventually be settled in court but then I'll probably have to switch back to one of their doctors.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Dr. Adam Sakstein, Dr Harry Glass. Lawrence Rehab Center has a group that I have heard good things about. Good luck to you. Workmans Comp is a tough tough struggle. I've been there....right where you are,.... LITERALLY at the mercy of the MD you get forced to see. I wish for you...some relief and a caring PM MD.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

Ejreiss, I'm sorry I forgot you were from Toms River, I now remember you telling me that before. I reccomend you go see Dr Ted Freeman, in Brick NJ. I've never been to him, but have a friend who I was working with before going out on temp disability that sees him every month. I actually forgot all about him telling me about this Dr until I ran into him today, and he asked me if I ever went to see him. I remember him telling me he was on Kadian with I think Norco for breakthru pain. He said although he is strict, he is a very caring and understanding Dr. I think I'm probaly going to make an appointment and see what he has to say myself. Let me know how you make out. If this dont work, I can reccomend the Dr I'm seeing now. He will atleast give you the percocet 10, and give you more daily than your currently on. I just think Dr Freeman may be a much better choice for you. Let me know. Good luck!!!

Bryan

Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Hi there! I am sorry for what you are going through, it seems to be the way for so many of us until(after jumping through all the hoops and twisting ourselves in half), we finally find the right Dr., or at least a Dr. that is not from he&&. The Dr's. recommended to you are ones I'd have mentioned also, so I think it's a good start. I hope youngone has luck with Dr. Rubinfeld, as he so deserves some pain relief!!! We ALL do!! Please let us know how you make out in this process o.k.? Just wanted to wish you well, and if we can help at all, please ask. Don't forget to update us!! Thanks, Surg

Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
    carscheles
    (female)

carscheles HB User

Hi,

I'm from Ocean County NJ too. I go to a PM doctor in Toms River but I'm not sure I'd recommend him. I've only been with him for a little while and I'm still trying to make up my own opinion about him.

My DH was going to PM through comp too. I think you might run in to the same problem as he did. Once your under comp's care, most other doctors in this area don't want to touch you. Our PC didn't even want to treat him while he was seeing comp doctors.

Maybe you should ask your lawyer to speed things up a bit. My DH had a good lawyer and he was able to change doctors a couple of times during his treatment - and it didn't take too long to do it either.

GLTY

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention - DH saw Dr. Nathan Holtzberg in Toms River for back problems. Dr. Holtzberg wasn't too bad.

Last edited by carscheles; 03-22-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added more info

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

I called my friend who goes to Dr Freeman today. Im going to call up and make an appointment tomorrow. He said he is easy to deal with, and that all you need is to bring a copy of your pharmacist records so he knows exactly what medications you are currently on, and than he will either keep you on them if you say they are working, raise the dosage if you say they dont work, or try something totally different if you feel you gave your current meds a chance to work and they didn't. Carscheles, just out of curiosity who is it that you see in Toms River? I'm just wondering if I've ever heard of him.

Bryan

Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
    carscheles
    (female)

carscheles HB User

youngone00,

I go to Dr. DeSio for a cervical disc herniation. Like I said, I haven't been with him too long so I'm really not sure what I think of him yet.

I've only had a series of epidural injections with him and I'm currently taking Lyrica. The epidural just started to wear off after 6 months so now I'm back in pain again. I see him next week so I'll see what he suggests.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
    LSplitt
    (female)

LSplitt HB User

I would recommend DR. Adam Sackstein, he is located in New Jersey with three different offices. I know there are a few others but his office is great. Good luck.

Closed Thread