It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycodone ER (Oxycontin) Lawsuit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User
    Question Oxycodone ER (Oxycontin) Lawsuit

I wanted to start this thread about Oxycontin and the generic versions of Oxycodone ER (extended release). There was a lawsuit that was supposed have all the generic makers of this stop selling by a certain date. I think this date has come and gone and then it was supposed to be just the remaining meds in wharehouses and on shelves to be sold. Ultimatly Perdue Pharma makers of Oxycontin be again the sole company to be selling this med. After looking at a few websites I can find at least 1 generic maker of oxycodone er still offering this med as a product.
    Does anyone have anymore info on this subject? I guess I am confused to see these still being sold. I plan on questioning the pharmacist on my next visit. ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Re: Oxycodone ER (Oxycontin) Lawsuit

I forget which generic,but I guess the one[i hear anyway] generic will be allowed to continue,but that doesn't make sense to me,why would one be allowed and not the others?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

I was walking thru the store and I asked my old Pharmacist, and he showed me 2 pills. One Generic, and One Brand...and he said, Perdue was the maker of both to be sold. He also told me about Enocet no longer being cheap for Pharmacys to sell, that is, if not buying Brand Percocet. So, he was now selling Mallincroft (and I totally mis-spelled that) as his generic Percocet.

When I went to a my new Pharmacy, he had Teva as the Generic being sold, and Perdue Brand selling too for the Oxycontin. And he had no problems with selling Endocet for the cheaper price for people that needed Percocet generic.

I know that didn't help...but, I just wanted to give you a "I am getting mixed signals too" from Pharmacys that are not even a mile away from eachother.

And if anyone knows anything about the Endocet story...I didn't really understand why that Generic is not suitable for a Pharmacy, in the monetary sense. thanks.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

According to the lawsuits--Endo must stop selling by the end of 2006--Teva is allowed to sell until Mar 31, 2007 and the other generic--made by Perdue will still be available--Found this on the Perdue website.
    Roger

Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

can anyone enlighten me as to why this lawsuit was actually brought out against makers of the generic OC?what was the basis for it?justa wonderin.thanks,Marcia

Old 04-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    can anyone enlighten me as to why this lawsuit was actually brought out against makers of the generic OC?what was the basis for it?justa wonderin.thanks,Marcia
    Perdue in the lawsuit claims to have "Invented" extended release Oxycodone and made Oxycontin based on that invention--which they patented--they claim all other extended release oxycodone is an infringement of their patent and therefore have brought lawsuits--successfully against both Teva and Endo with the results I mentioned earlier--

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-03-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Purdue has spent millions in legal fees to keep other products off the market. They attack generics on two apposing fronts. Either they are infringing on their patent by creating a generic version that's too close to theirs which infringes n their patent or they take the oposite aproach and say the generics aren't Bio equivelant because they don't truly last 12 hours as Purdue claims their product does.

Most of us knwo this is BS and their 3rd attempt to monopolize the market on LA oxy. It seems they want it both ways. It either infringes by beeing to much like their priduct or it's not the same because you have to take the other 3 times a day. How many folks on name brand oxy actually get 12 hours of relief as claimed by the manufacturer. But the CEO and upper levels execs still bring in a whopping 8 or 9 figure income and most people can't afford name brand Oxy without excellent healthcare coverage. I would expect their lawsuit to be thrown out by the supreme court for the 3rd time some time this year and hope Purdue has to pay the other manufacturer attorney fees.

Nothing like taking advantage of the chronic pain population and giving them no alternative aside from their monoply and price gouging. The Contin delivery system was patented in 1972, bought by purdue in 72 and is now paying off big time. No reasearch money was spent by Purdue developing this system , just the cost of buying the dual phasic patent and keepng it on the shelf for 24 years. If someone develops a diferent release system, hopefully we will see some fair market competition with newer and better technology.
    Boycot all purdue products untill their patent expires, It's already been 11 years, Isn't it about time CP patients got a break and had an affordable alternative other than Methadone.

JMO Good luck, Dave

Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

I see Daves point, as this company is the only one to be manufacturing this med the price has no choice but to be whatever Perdue wants it to be. There will be no compitition, and that is not fair. But on the other hand are the Generic companies really offering a comparable product?
    I have not been taking this med long enough to guage which is better than the other, I have only read on this and other boards that the generics are indeed infirior to the brand, even though brand may not last the full 12 hrs. I was sort of glad to see this at first because then my ins. would have no choice but to then pay for brand rather than generic.
    I do feel for the people that need this med and are uninsured, as I checked on the prices posted on one of the websites. I could'nt believe what I was reading it was incredibly expensive compaired to the generics now. For the 160mg it was almost $12.00 per pill if I am remembering right. Thats friggin crazy! Whats it gonna be if they control the market?
    I think I'd rather have the generics around because my dr. can prescribe 3 per day for me rather than have the uninsured public deal with a monopoly tyrant like that.
    I still plan on trying to get some info out of my pharmacist later this month and will let you folks know what I squeeze out of him......

Old 04-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thanks for the info guys.what i don't understand tho is that the delivery system for the endo version IS very very different than purdues brand.this system completely dissolves within your system,it doesn't leave behind those little ghost matrixes that purdues does.it really sucks when once again money comes between us and getting good fairly priced relief.those "poor" drug companies are suffering sooo much.really sick people.Marcia

Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

I personally found the Endo version to be terrible--had a 3 months supply and actually thought the pharmacy had made a mistake--had been recieving them from Merke-Medco when I had insurance and they gave me name brand until late 2005 and then switched to the Teva (which I thought was a mistake and called them--but they said it was just a generic and my co-pay was much less, so I kept them)--Not as good as name brand, but in my opinion much much better then the Endo.--Now I am on SSDI and do not know which kind I will get when I need more at the end of May--last time, I just paid for name brand--ouch!--Let us know if you hear anything about this situation--Thanks--Roger

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

[removed] Per the Posting Rules you may not post any materials found on other websites or in any other form of media, it is considered copy write infringement.
    Please do not direct members to other web sites to find information

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-03-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Thanks mudbone--any idea as to the price? The name brand for the 40Mg is about $6/ea---
    Roger

Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

No,it didnt say the price...

Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

I am also wondering why they are being sued.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

[removed] Please review the Posting Rules on How to share information and what types of URL's are acceptable

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-03-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot the link..

Closed Thread