It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Feedback on Neurontin for back/leg pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
    Avalon
    (female)

Avalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB User
    Feedback on Neurontin for back/leg pain?

My PM doc wants me to try Neurontin for the leg pain I'm having due to severe DDD (had a diskectomy, didn't help, and now I'm untreatable with any further surgery). I've already tried Cymbalta and amitryptaline. I didn't stay on them long enough probably to work, but I had to discontinue due to the side effects. I am now on just Percocet. Well, Relafen too but that doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I am deathly afraid of starting the Neurontin and going through the whole side effect thing again. Questions for any of you who are taken or have taken it: Does it help for the type of pain I'm having? How long does it take to work (i.e., how long should I stick with it)? Did you have any side effects? If so, did they eventually go away?

Appreciate your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Feedback on Neurontin for back/leg pain?

Avalon-
    I am on Neurontin and I am so, SO glad I stuck with it because it has helped with the pain I have from nerve damage. Please do give it a try. I really didn't have terrible side effects. Yes, as expected, some drowsiness, but that subsided after a few weeks. My doctor started me at a fairly low dose, but was able to titrate me fairly quickly.

This is one of those meds that takes time to build to a steady level in your system, so you will need to give it a fair chance. It wasn't long before I started seeing results in my pain levels. I was a bit scared too, but I was in so much pain, I would have hung upside down by my toenails if my PM told me it would help- seriously!

You can speak with your doctor about starting off with evening doses, and that way, you will be able to go to bed and not have to worry so much about the drowsy side effect. Then, as your body adjusts maybe start with the daytime doses if that is how your PM does it. I'm at 1500 mgs a day, but that is just what works for me. There are people who take more, and maybe people who take less. Either way, please do give it a fair try. I can't tell you how long to give it because a lot of it has to do with the dose, how your body responds and the titration schedule, but please don't discount it if you are drowsy for a couple or few weeks. The main thing also, don't drive after taking it until you are well adjusted. Starting with nighttime dosing will also kind of help eliminate this obstacle.

Good luck. I hope it works for you as well as it has for me! I saw you mention Cymbalta and I'm really sorry it wasn't a good match for you. It wasn't for me either, and that's a shame because from what I understand and have heard it really helps a lot of people. Keep us posted!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
    Avalon
    (female)

OK, Ozzy, you sold me....I just took my first Neurontin. It's only 100 mg. to start...so maybe the sides won't be too bad. I really feel like I must give something a chance other than Percocet ... my leg is killing me. I don't remember how long I stayed on the other drugs before, but I'm sure I didn't get them enough of a chance. I do recall that the amitryptiline made me SO tired, I had to leave a party and go outside to my car and take a nap. It was horrible....I was in such a fog. However, I didn't realize that the drowsiness can go away eventually, so I gave up. I promise to give it more of a try this time.

Thank you for your quick response and I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Avalon,
    Neurontin, Lyrica, Topomax, all of these work on nerve pain. Percoset will not take care of nerve pain..trust me. I was taking Lyrica, but have switched to Topomax. These meds were designed to take care of pain with regards to shingles and seizures, with a side benefit of the relief of nerve pain. Percoset won't touch the pain you are having.

Give it time to work. The side effects usually diminish after a few weeks and your body adjusts to the drug. Usually my doc recommends starting the new meds in the evening so that if it knocks me out I am already in bed and don't care!

Hang in there. I think if you give it a chance you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User

Just some input from my experience- Short history I have had 3 back surgeries, 1999, 2001, and 2003. Last surgery somewhat successful because I am better than pre-op pain. All lumbar surgeries with radiculopathy in both legs. Lots of problems now with nerve pain in leg and scar tissue tissue at surgical area causing problem. I have been on everything from steroids, anti-depressants, anti-inflamatory, lyrica, neurontin, percocette, oxycontin, morphine, injections in nerve and back etc etc. The only thing that has ever helped relieve any of my pain including back and nerve pain has been oxycodone or percocete. Everyone is different and your pain man doctor needs to work with you to see what works for you. At least it sounds like your pain man doctor is willing to try and see what may work for you. The only reason I was ever prescribed lyrica or gabapentum is because I heard it was a possibile solution to my problem and I specifically asked my doctor to try it after running out of solutions. My pm doc sucks and is not willing to prescribe any narcotics long term for my pain even though it helps. Give it a shot and expect to wait a while for it to help as other people have stated it takes a while to start working. Most side effects are expected to diminish over time and even if you are drowsy for a little while that should go away.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Hi Avolon. I was in the same exact boat as you! I was told theres no surgery that would bennifit me[not at this time anyway] I have nerve pain in my legs also do to D.D.D. I too was very nervous about going on neurotin[3 yrs ago] but I have to say,it helps alot!. I take oxycotin for my back also,but it doesn't do a thing for my nerve pain,but the neurotin works great.[but doesn't do a thing for my back pain-lol] I have to laugh,because I remember my girlfriend[at the time]
    seen that I was on neurotin,and was angry with me because she thought I was perscribed it for bi-polar,and that I kept it from her.[they perscribe it for that also]
    If you decide to take it,let us know how you make out!
    MAD.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
    Avalon
    (female)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I started it last night. I didn't feel hungover or drowsy this morning -- good start. (I remember the day after my first amitryptine, I was a zombie.)

Percocet takes the edge off my pain but never eliminates it completely. My pain is always there (lower left back and shooting down my leg) but gets worse with any kind of activities like bending, stooping, standing for more than a few minutes -- you know, pretty much everything you do in LIFE (LOL). It is draining and debilitating. The other day, I had to do some physical activity (getting my Mom's wheelchair out of the car, pushing her in it). WELL, I got home and all I could do was sit on the couch -- back/leg were KILLING me. Took the Percocet (10 mg) and was then able to function. So that's where it helps, giving me at least enough relief that I can get up and get some things done.

I have tried PT and back exercises but honestly, they make the pain so much worse that I end up stopping them. It could be a matter of having to get used to them, but it's hard to hang in there when the exercises that are supposed to HELP, actually end up making me unable to function.

I am hoping the Neurontin helps with this leg, which is definitely nerve pain. I will keep you posted and thanks again.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Remember to give it time.It takes a while to get in your system.When I started it,I had to take 200 mg[I think] for 2 days,then 300 etc.I had to work my way up,depending on what your set dosage will be.One thing I've learned since I started taking meds.Just because this person,or that person had a bad reaction to a med. or it didn't work for them etc. doesn't mean it will be the same results for me.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
    MKA290
    (male)

MKA290 HB User

I smashed the costachondral joints in my chest and herniated 4 discs in my back (including a thoracic disc) from a wieghtlifting accident. My chest doctor prescribed Neurontin. Flexoril and skelactin were useless. I hope it helps but I am scared when I read that this drug is used for epilepsy and other types of seizures.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
    Avalon
    (female)

Hello all -- wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing with Neurontin. I've been on 100 mg of Neurontin for 24 days. The good news is, it did not make me drowsy. The bad news is, it is causing me stomach upset. This is pretty typical for me -- many antibiotics and other drugs for my back pain have caused stomach problems. In many cases, and in this one, it is not nausea -- it is a deep hunger that will not go away despite eating, and makes many foods unappealing. When I've had this in the past, taking drugs like Prilosec or Nexium do not help -- nor do I really want to take another drug to counter the sides of a drug.

I do not see a huge difference in my leg pain. I think it may be a bit better, but after all, I'm only on 100 mg., which was what my PM doc was starting me on, with the intention of increasing later. The problem is, I can't stand the stomach upset. I've waited to see whether the side effects will subside but they have not, and it's really making my life miserable....plus I'm gaining weight because I'm eating to try to satisfy this hungry feeling.

Unfortunately, I think I will have to discontinue the Neurontin. So far I've been on amitryptaline, Cymbalta, oxycontin, kadian, and Neurontin. Only the Percocets give me some relief, without side effects....however, this requires a higher and higher daily dosage and of course, the dependency issues. It is very disappointing and frustrating.

Closed Thread