It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Cortisone, Depomedrol injection for pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User
    Cortisone, Depomedrol injection for pain

I had a cortizone injection on January 3rd, and to tell you the truth have not been the same since. I think that I have an allergy to it. Not in the sense of a sikn reaction, but that the shot did something to my inner system. I have had tests run, Thyroid, Endocrine, etc. and all have come back negative. But I feel like I have had the juice pumped into me. Not to mention the panic and anxiety that comes with it.

Has anyone had a shot of this kind and go through this, or know of someone?
    I feel like it is going to burn me up. I wish I never had the shot done, I could have delt with the pain easier than this.

Thanks all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Cortisone, Depomedrol injection for pain

Hey Botcho-
    I saw your other post on the addiction board asking about using percocet for back issues (not abusing it) and not being on it since February and having anxiety still. Did you notice the anxiety after the injections in January, or starting after stopping the percocet?

I know that taking oral steroids can make you feel aggitated or hyper, but I've had steroid injections in my knee quite a few times and never had any kind of anxiety like you are describing. It never made me feel hyper or anxious. That's not to say it couldn't happen though because everyone reacts differently to different treatments. It sounds like maybe your injections were to treat a back condition?

I'd venture to say that this has less to do with the injection, and maybe more to do with your body possibly being dependant on the percocet. How long were you taking percocet for your back? If it was for a pretty long time, and on a regular basis, your body probably did become dependant on it, and that could very well be why you are having these feelings of anxiety.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions, but please keep checking back. Someone else may have something more concrete for you. I do hope this anxiety will ease up for you. Take care!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

Thanks for the reply back. I really appreciate it!

I was on Percocet for about 6 months.
    The percocet and the injection were to treat my sore back.

I had anxiety after the cortisone shot. Actually when I got home a couple hours after it. And bad the next day.

Back does not hurt anymore, but the anxiety, palpitations are still with me.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I am glad your back isn't hurting now. At least you have that much working in your favor.

Six months is certainly enough time for your body to grow accustomed to having any kind of medication in your system, and then go through withdraw when you stop taking it. I really do feel like at least part of this is from that.

Now, I DO know that many times, the pain relief from a steroid injection can help for about 6 months, so if that is the case, then it would be understandable that you could still be feeling the effects of it as far as feelings of anxiety. This is a very interesting question you have brought up here.....

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-06-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

I have been off percocet since 02/26/07
    I got the Depomedrol shot on 01/03/07

It has the doctors stumped as well.
    It has been one heck of a story. I am not a pill person at all, never have been. Nor have I had anxiety, panic or depression, or should I say more than the average person.

Right now they have me on 1500mg of Depakote, 30MG of Remeron and 600MG of Remeron.

All that from a taking Percocet for 6 months and getting a cortisone injection???? I think I am a victim of the system!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Exclamation Re: Cortisone, Depomedrol injection for pain

Hi Botcho,

I notice you are on depakote. May I ask if you are Bi-polar/ manic depressive? My husband is, and if you are also, Cortisone is a BIG no no, It can cause bi polar folks to slip into a manic episode. I have stopped regular doctors from giving this to my hubby more than once, most psychiatrists know better, but non psych docs arent as up to date on interactions.

You may remember a few years back, Margot Kidder, the actress who played Lois Lane in the Superman films, became severely ill with her bi polar and was found wandering the streets after being missing for several days. She traces that episode to and blames a cortisone injection for back pain.

If this is the case with you, You should ask your psychiatrist for a list of acceptable medications, even the most simple medicines can sometimes have a nasty interaction with something else.

Forgive me if you are not bi polar, I meant no disrespect to you.

I hope you find relief soon.

Your Friend,
    Fabby

Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

Fabby,
    You bring up a very good point, and something that I did not think of. I am not Bi-ipolar. But What I think may have happened was that I had a reaction to the 80MG of Depomedrol, somthing that I found very interesting, called steroid psychosis. It sounds like what happened to me to a T. They treat the symptoms with anti-depressants. I was not on them during my back treatments. They only have me on them now.

Before I got the shot my primary care physician put me on Prednisone to see if it would help my inflamation. I took it and hated it. I felt like I was going to craw through my skin. I told my doctor, but he didn't think anything of it.

After I got cortisone shot I came home and boom, same thing, panic, anxiety
    Went back to the doctors the next day describing the symptoms, and he put me on Xanax to take as needed.

I feel like quite the puppet!! I feel like calling a lawyer!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

i had one in my hip Wedneday very grateful 4 days of major relief. Last one i had was Jan hopefully won't need to go that route again till near xmass. To me they are worth the break from pills/patches/pain. While it is a bit different from in the spine injection the relief is experainced within hours.......

Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Cool Re: Cortisone, Depomedrol injection for pain

Hey Botcho,

I think that is exactly what happened to you. Its amazing that more people even doctors arent aware of the psychological issues steroids can cause.
    Hopefully the antidepressants can get you feeling better soon, are you on valium, atavan, xanex, anything like that? That may help as well.
    Good luck to you, and whatever happens, please post and let us know, we care!

Fabby

Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

The more that I think about it the angrier I get. I am a average Joe surfing the net and I find out about it. The doctors are on their own power trip.

I am trying to get through this with out more pills, Even though I am on 3 already.

It kills me that a back problem can segway into a an anxiety, panic and depression issue!

I'm P'O'd!!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

One thing to keep in mind as you are getting use to the ins and outs of dealing with pain, try using the note book feature on pc date and time the issues you had with the shot after affects,
    Keep track of pain levels and what else may be happening at the time too. Cold wet rain, all kinds of things can cause an up swing.
    SOmetimes keeping a journal can help you in the real bad times to remember how you got through them. Also it is common for folks in pain to have other issues as well. Sometimes meds related sometimes just so use to living with pain that something else gives ...... Take care of yourself and i most certainly wish you some relief

Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

I have been doing that. I appreciate it though.
    I am learning as I go. I a not used to anxiety, panic and depression!

Closed Thread