It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• anyone taking or know about Opana ER

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
    lexi99
    (female)

lexi99 HB User
    Question anyone taking or know about Opana ER

Hi I am new to this post and I have chronic back pain and my doctor had me on Norco (Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg) and it hasn't been working i think my body is immune to it . So my doctor just put me on Opana ER and I just wanted to know if anyone is taking it? or knows about it? and if so is it working? what are the side effects? I am a little nervous because the walgreens did not have it being it is a class II narcotic and says you can't drink alcohol or have anything with alcohol in it that you could OD. So wanted to know if anyone had any info on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: anyone taking or know about Opana ER

Hi Lexi, Opana, or oxymorphine is justt another opiate. All the pure opiates, OxyContin, MSContin, Kadian, Acvinza .Duragesic and meth are class 11. The class system is a drug agency way of rating potential for abuse and controls the way the drug should be prewscribed and treated. It's nothing scarry, just means more controls to prevent abuse and diversion. Things like no refills, no call ins, some states use triplicates and most states keep a data base of Class 11 scripts, who's prescrining them and who's taking them.

Avinza, the 24 hour morphine has the same warning about alcohol, etol breaks down the slow release mechanism of certain drugs at a higher rate and causes al the drug to be released turning a LA med into a short acting med.

I've been using the Short acting version for a month now and hope to switch back to oxycodone. It just has more side effects than I'm used too, mainly stomach upset. Not to mention it's name brand only and when I hit the doughnut whole in my script coverage I'll being paying 300 a moth instead of 5 bucjs for the oxycodone.

If you went from hydrocodne to oxyorphone without trying any other la med on the market, It's hard to compare it to anything you have tried. It's more like morphine than any other med I have tried and the drinking thing is just common sense. Why would anyone be foolish enough to drink on top of the PM cocktails docs put us on. It's just common sense to avoid alcohol. As far as strength, It's a big step up so youi would take fewer mgs less frequently. The less fequent part if the advantage of LA meds versus short acting. It's easier to keep pain in check than to bring a gigh level down. Shrort acting meds have a definite beginning and end and it gets old waiting 45 minutes for hany SA med to starrt working and trying to cram your life into the next 2 hours before it starts to wear off. Going LA may make great sense, I'm not really sure why he would start with the newest med n the market, new doesn't make it better, stronger or have less side efects. Oxymorphione has been in use in IV form in hospitals for decades under the name numorphan. Sio it's not like they found a new opiate, just a way to make it avaialable orally, unfortyunately it looses quite a bit of it's strength because of poor absorption. The conversion from IV oxymorphone to IV morphine is 10:1, the manafcaturer is sugesting a 1:3 conversion on theOPana due to poor bio avaialability. Meaning you pee 90% of it out unchanged anwithout absorbing it. I just don't see how you justify the cost when there are so many other out there, As far as risk, it may be a greater risk simply because people and cocs don't really understand the potency of this med. A good doc is going to be conservative and start on the low side and you will need to let him know how your doing, Untill the dose is corectly adjusted, you will probably think hydro works better. That becomes a problem with LA meds if a patient can't tolerate and increase in pain or side effects for a few weeks or months it tkaes to get the dose right.

There are only 5 different drugs used in LA preperations, if someone doesn't have the patience or can't tolerate any increase in pain or side efects you could run through all 5 in a matter of a few months and be left with nothing else to try. It's normal in PM to go 3-4 weeks between adjustments and for it to take 3-4months to get the dose right. If your started low it will take time to get back to even and then benefit, if you don't have the patience, you can rule out every med so quickly that your left with a lifetime of no alternatives.

Give it time, allow him to adjust and respect the drug, it's potent and meant for modrate to severe pain. Any drug that is a CNS depressant is dangerous to drink with, they just know the exact problem with Opana and it's release system, unlike how much alcohol it takes to push someone over the edge with something like a benzo, valiym/ativan/Xanax that also causes CNS depression. If you drink too much on Vicodin it can kill you. They just can't be as specific and say how much is too much where any amount of alcohol puts you at risk for turning a long acting med into a fast acting med with Opana or Avinza, and it's the reason they took long acting dilaudid off the market.

Good luck, Dave

Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

sorry to jump in your thread but "what are the five long acting meds?"

Oxycontin, MScontin, Kadian, Avinza, opana.....I'm not sure which go with what drug.I do want to know what my options are if I've already cycled through oxycontin, duragesic and morphine...does this only leave me with methadone??
    I'm already nodding off while typing.....just getting ready.LOL

Where is that perfect magic drug that does it all!!!!!!!!???????
    There would be quite the line up to pick that one up.

Thanks to everyone for their help and take care.~Mush

Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Mush, LA Oxycodone, LA morphine, Duragesic "fentanyl", methadone and LA oxymorphone. I don't really count all the different preps of morphine, Morphine is morphine. If MSContin makes you sick, than so will Avinza, Kadian and Oramorph. Morphine is morphine and I wouldn't expect a different reaction to one prep over another, If you get technical, you could try every version of long acting morphine but I wouldn't expect a different outcome if morphine makes you nauseated, itch, you can't sleep or it simply makes you to groogy. Although those side effects may improve with time when given a chance. You have to give any med a chance to work, not spend 3 weeks and two adjustments and rule it out and then excpect a greatly different response to a different release mechanism using the same drug. JMO.

Sorry I did forget about having long acting hydro specially compounded, and they do have LA codeine and LA dilaudid on the market in Canada. I guess I've just seen too many folks new to PM think they have tried it all in one year which may be true, but they probably really never gave it a chance if they gave up at the first sign of side efect they didn't like.

As you said, I too would be in line for that perfectly benign, side effect free opiate. Unfortunetely there's no such thing.
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 04-09-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Closed Thread