HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Generic oxycontin available to atleast June 14th.. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/490673-generic-oxycontin-available-atleast-june-14th.html)

youngone00 04-15-2007 11:48 PM

Generic oxycontin available to atleast June 14th..

Hey every1. I just typed in genric oxycontin on ******, and came across an article saying that Impax just settled a lawsuit with Purdue that will allow it to continue to sell its generic oxycontin until June 14th. Just figured I'd post it, since we've all been wondering about it.

surgicaldisaster 04-16-2007 12:07 PM

Re: Generic oxycontin available to atleast June 14th..

Thanks for letting us know...this is going to be a big, big problem for me when the generic is no longer available. How are you doing by the way? Did you ever go see Dr. Rubinfeld, or is that appt. not till later this month? I hope you are not suffering too badly...I have been thinking of you, and thanks so much for the info!! :wave: Take care, and let us know how you are feeling!! :) Surg

youngone00 04-17-2007 04:30 PM

Thanks for thinking of me Surg. I'm not really doing any better, actually doing alot worse. I'm at a point where I dont want to continue like this anymore. I dont have the energy to just go from doctor to doctor, just to be told the same thing every time. I guess thats why I havn't went to see Rubinfield yet. Its not like I'm crying because I dont have a tolerable enough pain level so I can do certain things during the day (walk the dog, exercise, etc), even when I stay in bed all day, I"m still in a ton of pain, and have a ton of discomfort in my pelvic area. I'm sorry I dont mean to go on and on, Im just sick of it. I hope your doin ok.

Bryan

Wren9 04-17-2007 05:50 PM

Ug, two days ago, I received the WORST generic Oxycontin. It's called TEVA. I am prescribed Oxycontin 40 mg, and I usually get the Watson/IVAX, with the ABG imprint, and those are great, just like the brand -- I hear they are even manufactured in the same factory. I've also gotten Endo, which are double in size, but still not that bad.

When I dropped off the prescription, they asked if I minded generic and I said no, since the past few months I've received the Watson's...and, lo and behold, I ended up with TEVA. While I was still at the counter, I asked if they could exchange for the brand name (Purdue) but they did not have any in stock. If there's another chance I could receive TEVA, then I will have to start requesting brand.

I feel bad for those who do not have the brand coverage. But who knows where this is even heading. Supposedly, they were supposed to discontinue the generics in Jan 07, and then we heard there would only be one generic available (Watson). Here it is almost May 07, and it seems that all the generics are still being sold.

-Wren

trowftd3 04-20-2007 11:30 AM

I used to get generic Endo, then this Jan or Feb I started getting generic Watson and at my last fill(this month) I got generic Endo again but all 10 mgs.
The pharmacist said that there were no more generic 20's or 40's so they have to fill everything with 10's! That makes for a lot of pills!

The story's always changing...who know's what we'll get next.

I'm sorry I'm confused...does this mean there will be no more Watson generic either? I thought the deal was that Watson could still make generic because it's basically Purdue.

Thanks again for all of your help.~Mush

Wren9 04-20-2007 12:25 PM

Mush, a pharmacist cannot choose to fill a prescription that is for 20, 40, or 80 mg pills with 10 mg pills. That would be against the law, unless your doctor rewrote the prescription for the 10 mg strength. I just wanted to clarify that.

As far as which strengths of oxycodone ER will be available in generics and which won't, I really don't know about that.

From now on, I'm going to have to request the brand name (Oxycontin). I like the Watson (ABGs) but I can't count on my pharmacy having them. Due to my insurance, I am limited to one particular pharmacy chain (located inside a popular big box store), and they don't seem to offer very individualized services like some smaller pharmacies do. With some pharmacies, you can request a particular generic and they will order it for you. I pay more for brand, but no more than $50, which is 3-5x what I would pay for the generic one.

Interestingly, there is not that big a price difference from generic to brand...they both would cost around $1000 if I did not have insurance.

-Wren

trowftd3 04-20-2007 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Wren9;2934429]Mush, a pharmacist cannot choose to fill a prescription that is for 20, 40, or 80 mg pills with 10 mg pills. That would be against the law, unless your doctor rewrote the prescription for the 10 mg strength. I just wanted to clarify that.

-Wren[/QUOTE]

I take 30 mgs...so you're saying the doctor is supposed to write 'one 20mg and one 10 mg pill ....or three 10mg pills' instead of just writing 30mgs on my prescription? I don't understand. If the 20 and 40's are no longer available what are patients supposed to do? I'm not trying to be snotty or anything I just really do not understand what you're saying...thanks~Mush

mudbone 04-20-2007 05:07 PM

That was what I read also, Perdue was actually making the product and will be selling the generic version under the watson name. I was glad to hear that because personally I do not like the Endo version of oxycontin. They do however sell "my" preferred brand of Generic Percocet which is of course "Endocet". I no longer take endocet but have used all the generics and that was as close to the real deal as I could find. They just cannot get the CR of oxycodone to last for the time it should in my opinion. Just that "My Opinion". I do like to hear from others as to what they think of various products.
Lets just hope there is going to be a generic version of oxycontin or there will be lots of people up the creek so to speak.. Mud:p

mudbone 04-20-2007 05:12 PM

trowft, I think the doc still writes the script normally and then the pharmasist makes the call as to how many of what mg goes in. And then you get special instructions. I have had one be out of my #120 endocets 10/650 and they gave me #240 10/325 so it equates the same just sort of a hastle. Hope that helps...Mud
Wow Wren I didnt know that was against the law! This was just last year at a small pharmacy, maybe that why i got what I did.

Wren9 04-20-2007 05:49 PM

[quote]They just cannot get the CR of oxycodone to last for the time it should in my opinion.[/quote]

Mud, when you say the oxycodone CR does not last long enough for you, do you mean a particular generic or the brand name too? Because I agree with you...I like Oxycontin a lot -- it works very well on my pain and the side effects aren't too bad. I just wish it had a smoother release profile. I'm actually not that concerned with it lasting 12-hours, since my doctor prescribes 3 a day. But I do worry about the folks who can only get it prescribed twice a day, as I really don't think it lasts 12 hours, especially after you've been taking opioids for a while. Part of the definition of tolerance is that the opioid does not last as long.

As for the other issue that Mush brought up...I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but maybe we are. Here's an example. Let's say a prescription says 40 mg Oxycodone, 1 pill every 8 hours, Qty. 90. I am almost positive that the pharmacist MUST give you exactly what it states: #90 - 40 mg Oxycontin (or generic). The pharmacist cannot give you #360 10 mg Oxycontins instead. That's how it works where I live (Calif.), but maybe it's different in other states. California uses a special prescription paper (fraud-resistant). There is a place to write the prescription as usual, but the prescriber must also specify the number of pills. If the pharmacist changed the pill strength, then they would also be changing the quantity of pills.

Mush, as for your example of the 30 mg...I would think your doctor could do just as you suggested...they could write either 20 mg + 10 mg, or they could write for 3 of the 10 mg. But I think they do have to specify it one way or the other. But maybe it's different state to state.

Mud, I am really surprised that a pharmacist changed your prescription from 120 10/650 hydrocodone/APAP to 240 5/325 hydrocodone/APAP (I assume that's what you meant.). I don't think that is allowed without the doctor's permission. I would then think: well maybe the pharmacist called the doctor first. But it is a Schedule II prescription and they cannot be phoned in -- a new prescription would need to be written.

If someone knows for sure, please chime in.

-Wren

mudbone 04-21-2007 09:39 AM

Hi Wren! hows things with you? Seems since you told me bout this site I have found a new home. As for your question about the Oxycodone CR, yes I was referring to the endo brand of Oxycontin. I was not very impressed with the amount of relief. I am only allowed 2 per day which stinks but I do get 2 roxicodone to fill the gap so to speak. I know that is only supposed to be used for recscue as needed, but I just dont get 12 hrs out of even brand Oxycontin, barely 8 and the endo, forget it! I would be good shape if I was allowed 3 per day, but I think ins wont cover it.
As for Mush I never heard of a doc prescribing 30mg of oxycontin. Either 20 or 40mg. But as for me, yes I had my scrip filled at a "no-name" Pharmacy and yes I was prescribed 120 10/650 (oxycodone APAP) and got 240 5/325 with instructions to take 2 instaed of 1. I was surprised to hear thats against the law! But I guess I shouldnt be surprised that some one broke the law.. Or maybe they did contact my dr. I dunno.
I had a script for Soma filled one day at a grocery store, it was for #90, and the only had 60 and I was told to come back in 6 days for the rest of them. I guess I am nieve but I agreed and there was nothing noted on my bottle or anything and I thought about it after I got home. Did I just get screwed? Well I went back after the 6 days and sure enough they gave me the other 30!
Well good to talk to ya Wren! And thanks for telling me about this site! I still go to we speak and read every now and then.
Have a nice day! Mud:)

trowftd3 04-25-2007 12:35 PM

Sorry I kind of lost track of this thread...

In my state WA the doc doesn't have to srite the number of pills on the prescription. The one we were talking about just said oxycontin 30mg tid(which is three times a day). There's a place at the bottom where they mark if substitution is allowed(for generic). That's all.

Mud, I've seen a lot of people on this board take 30mg before. If the 40's are too much in the doc's eyes then you do 30's. I was taking a total of 110mgs of oxycodone a day and rather than put me on the 40's 3x/day equaling 120mgs my doc chose to put me on 30mgs 3x/day equaling 90mgs. He said 110 was a high dose and too much but apparantly 90mgs is ok....so I guess 100mgs is the dividing line between 'ok' and 'too much'!!LOL

And my hubby takes Zomig for migraines and his doc writes it for 30 pills. Whenever we go to the pharmacy they only have 12 or so and we have to come back and get the rest in two days and sign to say we picked them up. We've been using this pharmacy for ten years and have had lots and lots of prescriptions filled. You would think they could order enough zomig so it would be there when we come in. My husband gets 30 every two weeks. And has for probably two years. Oh well.

Anywas still don't understand the illegal preascription writing. Maybe you're right Wren, and it's a state to state thing. Interesting, though.
~Mush

lavenderlily13 04-26-2007 05:24 PM

Hey all,

This thread has been really helpful, I didn't know half of these things you guys are talking about, so maybe someone could help me with another question about oxycontin: is it much different or stronger than Vicodin? My doc says that it would be better on my liver to take it instead of the vicodin....and who knew that the generic brands were so much different than the brand names, isn't it just a mix of chemicals? How can there be such a big difference? Thanks in advance for any replies...

~ lily

kobaltblue 09-24-2010 03:50 PM

[font="arial black"][/font] as of the last quarter of 2010 the only thing available to the public will be op's these are made by purdue and will be sold under the ethe x and purdue labels. The oc brand name will no longer exist if you get it your lucky the reason people who misuse their scripts by selling them and the people that buy them to snort shoot and smoke. So they had to be reformulated so that now if you attempt to crush them they turn into a pancake and if you try to shoot them they gel. This is sad since the brand name worked very well and now you have to wonder just what they are putting in them it probably wont be the same and who is to say that the additives wont cause reactions by people, this is a result of doctors covering their butts from the feds.