It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• been accused of fraud which i didn't do , please need advice BAD!!!! please respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
    kaydenxo
    Inactive
    (female)

kaydenxo HB User
    been accused of fraud which i didn't do , please need advice BAD!!!! please respond

my pm doc changed my meds this month to 1 oc 80mg a day, and 2 30 mg Roxicodone, rather than 3 oc 80mg a day, since my insurance wouldnt allow 3 a day. the roxicodone 30 mg was actually working better , but a few days ago i started waking up unable to move my joings at all, in tears, a fever of 104 three days straight CONSTANT, and uncontrollable Bowel movements, i didn't even feel it coming.i went to the er and got diagnosed with too many things to number today i called my doc to let them know how many i was taking she seemed ok, and even agreed to give me a script for 50 more , when i picked up the script where the number was it was scribbled out and 50 was written over it, along with the word fifty, it took 26 pharmacies in my area in the middle of a snowstorm and hours of driving to find a pharmacy that had them. i gave the scrip to the pharm. and he came back and said he can't fill it , it was a fake, someone changed the # of pills on it, now i personally heard my docs nurse say the work 50 on the phone today, so i called my doc at home (mind you at 1030pm, he said the scriprt should have only been for 20, so the pharmacist ripped it up, told me i was breaking the law and could be arrested if he wanted to press charges, when i got back on the phone with the doc i told him what the nurse said, she said 50 my husband overheard the conversation also. the script was in her handwriting the signature was his, now im going to run out of my meds in a few days and have nothing at all i have fibro, bulging disc, and herniated discs, i need pain meds.the doc said that i screwed up and now i have to just wait it out, and maybe even find a new doc, i cried to him swearig i did't do tthis i neeed him and woould neveer do that, what should id\ d????????????????????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: been accused of fraud which i didn't do , please need advice BAD!!!! please respo

Hi Kay,

You have one chance in this, and that is if, tomorrow morning, the doctor asks the nurse and she says YES I changed the prescription, and you okayed it. That may very well be exactly what happened, and the doctor was distracted and didnt remember. At that point, the doctor can call the pharmacy and explain, and then call you to apolpgize and have you come in and pick up a new script.
    Thats the best case senerio. However, If the nurse denies changing the script, You my friend are screwed but you still need to count your blessings, you could have cooled your heels in jail last night and have a drug charge hanging over your head. Did you look at the script before you handed it in? was the add on in a different colored ink? it SHOULD have been at the very least, initialed, and I am amazed they didnt just toss it and write a new one.
    Most doctors have gone to a computer print out system, it makes situations like this one obsolete.
    I wish you the best of luck, hopefully the nurse can straighten everything out in the morning. Please let us know what happens.
    Your Friend, Fabby

Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: been accused of fraud which i didn't do , please need advice BAD!!!! please respo

Hi Kay, Hopefully your doc is in the wrong. At home he doesn't have your file so the likelyood of remembering the quantity of any med he prescribed to any patient that day is pretty low.

I would sit in the office tommorow, ask for a copy of the your medical records where the the script was documented and ask to speak to the nurse you spoke too.Just ask for a copy of your records or a copy of your records from this year.

If there isn't a record of what he prescribed in your chart, your doc is at greater risk than you. It's the law he keep acurate charts and document every script he writes. If he prescribes that hap hazardly and doesn't document what he prescribes, the Board of pharmacy/ Board of medicine or the DEA will eat him up. If he doesn't document your stuff, he probably doesn't document the way he should with everyone.

As far as a learning experience, any time a class 2 med has been altered in any way, whether by the doc or by a patient, It's going to be questioned. If a doc mis-writes a script, Insist he write a new one in the future.

Sorry this happened, but there were warning signs all over the place that you recognized there was something wrong with this script, Pencil, lines drawn through, what's next, white-out on a C-11? Insist everything look and be Kosher as far as your concerned and it will likely be Kosher as far as any pharamcist is concerned.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by moderator2; 04-17-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

That sounds like an aweful situation to be in.
    Ummm, what would I do?? Well I'd say "Honesty is the Best Policy", but I gotta tell ya, sometimes you even have to make the truth sound believable these days.

Did it "obviously" say "20" under where the "50" was scribbled in? And, was your Doctor aware of the Hospital visit?

Oh, and also, did you call the Doctor at all within the "3 days" you were suffering with the immovable joints and 104* fever?? To be in so much pain, I would have probably drop a call to my PM MD. (just for any next time...always let them know)

It sounds like you are going to be OK, as long as the Nurse pulls thru for you. Too bad that pharmacist did not keep that script, then even IF the nurse does not remember...she'd be aware of her own handwriting! Any chance of getting that back?

I'll be thinking, just answer what I have here, and I will try and put together the best sounding advice from my "3rd party" point of view.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Last edited by babs17; 04-17-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
    Wren9
    (female)

Wren9 HB User

Hi Kay,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

This might help, I hope so. Do you know how many pills you were supposed to take in a day and how many DAYS the prescription was for? Some doctors will write the number of days on the script, in Calif with the "fraud-protected" scripts, I think they HAVE to write the number of days. And of course the script should say, take X pills Y times per day, right? I'm just thinking you can multiply the daily amount by the number of days to get the correct amount.

Also, my pain doctor's office photocopies all scripts. Maybe yours has that policy too? Even still, I have had my doc or PA make small changes, then initial them, but not re-photocopy them. By small change, I mean they added the words "for breakthru pain" on my Oxy IR script because the pharmacy had been giving me a hard time filling 2 narcotics. But changing 20 to 50 is a big change that would be sure to set off red-flags, and of course they should have re-photocopied it (if they even do that). Actually, like Fabby and Shoreline said, they really should have started over with a fresh prescription -- especially in this day and age.

Going back to the original problem. You went from 240 mg oxycodone per day to only 140 mg per day. That is a serious drop and I don't know why your doctor would do that.

The reason the roxicodone was "working better" at first is because roxicodone is a short-acting form of oxycodone and releases all the medication at one time. Oxycontin releases about half of the medication right after you take it, and the other half about 4 hours later. When you take an 80 mg Oxycontin, it feels about like taking 40 mg of immediate-release oxycodone. So 2 of the 30 mg roxicodone would feel stronger than that. But roxicodone lasts about 4 hours, while Oxycontin lasts about 8 hours.

When you were taking 3 Oxycontin per day, your levels of oxycodone remained constant. When you switched to roxicodone, your levels went up at first but then they crashed, leaving you in withdrawal.

-Wren

Last edited by Wren9; 04-17-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
    kaydenxo
    Inactive
    (female)

kaydenxo HB User

thanks for all your advice, i spoke with my doc today, it was their error, he forgot the amount that was prescribed due to the nurse wrote it, she said she didn't scribble anything over it, her pen ran out and had to rewrite darker to make it legible, they just changed me over to the duragesic patches today, thanks for all your advice

Closed Thread