It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Do your pain meds give you the munchies?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
    dani808
    Inactive
    (female)

dani808 HB User
    Do your pain meds give you the munchies?!

I have recently noticed that after taking my ocycodones, I get the munchies and crave a cigarette. ( I don't even smoke anymore and don't crave them anyother time!) Thirty minutes after I take my medication, I am soooo hungry and I crave bad stuff like carbs or fast food. And then I have to smoke at least half a cigarette. I have to go behind the shed and sneak one so my husband doesn't find out. lol I started keeping cigarettes in a planter. The cravings for both are VERY intense and it just started over the last few months and was not always like this. I used to feel sick and actually lost weight before so I am not sure what is going on. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't recall seeing this as a side affect or hearing anyone else talk about this. I really hate it because I have gained 9 pounds and it is just a matter of time before my husband busts me behind the shed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
    Re: Do your pain meds give you the munchies?!

Hi Dani!! The image of you smoking behind the shed made me chuckle!! I am a former smoker (7 years now) and to this day I still enjoy sitting next to folks who smoke!! When I first started taking oxycodone about 10 years ago I lost a tremendous amount of weight and thought I had found the secret to permanent weight loss!! My smoking increased for some reason that I still haven't figured out! But now it's a whole different ballgame. I take oxycodone 30mg. for breakthru pain up to 4 pills per day. I have gained 50 lbs. yes...I said FIFTY pounds in one year. I can't figure out if it's the methadone that I take on a daily basis or the oxycodone that have caused my appetite for carbs to go sky high. Perhaps it's the combination of both. I also know that I could easily lose the weight by smoking a cigarette every time I had a craving for food. But the price is much to high to pay! My lungs are already in bad shape from smoking for 30 years, 2 1/2 packs a day near the end of my smoking career. By the time I lost all the weight I've gained I would probably be dead from lung cancer or emphasyma (sp?)! Now I'm on a weightloss program..the one that has Kirsty Allie as its spokeswoman. Anyway, good luck to you - I can relate for sure - KathyMac

Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

Are you sure its just the fact that your not having bad pain and that allows an appetite. In my case, when I am hurting food is the last thing on my mind. After I take meds and pain comes down i do feel like eating, but I dont consider it the munchies like smoking a doobie or somthing like that. As for the nicotine, I can relate to that as I dip Copenhagen and yes I do feel like I need a dip when the meds kick in... Mud

Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
    dani808
    Inactive
    (female)

dani808 HB User

Me too KATHYMAc. I am taking Oxycodone 30 mg too but it is the only thing I take. I really think it is making us crave carbs. I asked my doc about it this mornining and all she said, was that everyone is different. SHe actually did say what MudBone said which is that if I am in pain I have no appetite and when the meds kick in I feel better and can eat. So I did a test and when I came home I took an unscheduled does (in other words, I was not having any pain that would warrant any meds) and sure enough, 30minutes later, I was in the kitchen eating cherrios with no milk ( I was out of milk!), rummaging for granola bars and then out the shed for a little smoke! I tried smoking before I took my meds and it made me ill. But after, it was great! It is kind of like what mudbone said, it reminds me of college after smoking a doob and having those crazy cravings. (you know, the ones where if you wanted french fries but didn't have them, you would eat raw potatoes and ketchup lol) There must be something that the med does to our chemistry that does this or, it is some side effect they don't like to tell people because no woman would ever take a med that says "may gain 50 pounds AND start smoking!" ~sigh

Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Dani...Mud...I'm reading your posts about 30 minutes before I have to leave for my 10 am appointment to see my new pain doc. If I'm in his office and start to think back to your posts I'm going to be in big trouble!!! I'm laughing so hard at what both of you said that I'll never be able to keep a "painful face" while speaking to him!! You guys are starting my day off well. Laughter is the best medicine - if only it came in a pill, eh? Even though I'm a child of the 60's and 70's, I'm not familiar with the munchies you get after enjoying a doobie (can we be banned for saying doobie??), I agree that the oxycodone is probably causing my craving for carbs. Hopefully the doctor will agree to let me have a trial on the pain pump. That would probably stop my midnight trips to the fridge! I'm not really sure, but I think I ate all my cereal packets from Jennie Craig last night. When I opened the refrigerator to get the milk for my coffee this morning, there wasn't any left!! I'm too scared to look in the trashcan to see what else I may have consumed. Eeeegaaads!! Well, thanks again for your posts - I'll let you know what the doc says when I get home this afternoon. All the best - KathyMac

Old 05-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
    morgyporgy
    (female)

morgyporgy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
    Are you sure its just the fact that your not having bad pain and that allows an appetite. In my case, when I am hurting food is the last thing on my mind. After I take meds and pain comes down i do feel like eating, but I dont consider it the munchies like smoking a doobie or somthing like that. As for the nicotine, I can relate to that as I dip Copenhagen and yes I do feel like I need a dip when the meds kick in... Mud
    this is very true mud. when i am hurting the last thing i want to do is eat, and when i do eat it makes me physically ill. when my meds kick in and start knocking out that pain, it is like heaven. my family can tell if i am having a good pain day because i will actually eat about 2 meals that day. i eat alot of fruit in between. on a bad day, forget it. i do believe that it may be the pain relief you are getting that is finally bringing back your appetite. i am a smoker as well but it does not increase my craving there. i smoke about 15 cigarettes a day and have for 20 yrs. ugh!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
    Wren9
    (female)

Wren9 HB User

Dani, yes, opioids make me crave cigarettes, big time. And if I'm in withdrawals at all, cigarettes taste nasty and I cannot smoke them.

But when pain med kicks in, I could chain smoke.

As for munchies...I was like KathyMac...I lost a lot of weight at first. But pain made me lose more weight than anything. Nothing kills appetite better than pain. I was the thinnest I had ever been in my life (since I was a kid). But went on methadone and gained 30 lbs in 6 months. Now, I'm off methadone and losing the weight.

Oxycodone does not really make me crave more food than usual, but it does raise my liking of carbs/sugar though. In other words, I won't eat dinner AND dessert, I'll just eat dessert...lol.

It's the smoking I'm most worried about. I'm going to try that new med, Chantrix.

-Wren

Last edited by Wren9; 05-04-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Closed Thread