It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Need new doctor in Rochester, NY

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
    begga79
    (male)

begga79 HB User
    Need new doctor in Rochester, NY

Since transplanting here about 2 years ago, I've run into a different health system that absolutely does NOT want to prescribe any type of pain meds, for anything. Now, I have significant arthritis in my shoulder, and have tried all of the PT, Ibuprofen, Alieve... without success. I'm sensitive to tylenol (causes liver enzymes to rise just with minimal dosages), so that's out the window. I refuse to let this pain interupt my life, and will continue to go on playing ball and throwing horse shoes! When I tell the doctors that nothing is working, I get the same old answer: "There's nothing we can do for you now. You should try PT again". I can't afford to spend $40-60 a week for PT, and I have tried the home PT without success. The pain is misserable, and in turn makes me the same! Does anyone have any other advice on how to eliminate this pain? I'm trying very hard to not let this effect myself or my family, but enough is enough! My wife's ready to throw me out! Not really, but I think you get the point!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: Need new doctor in Rochester, NY

Hi Begga,

You may have a hard time finding a doctor willing to prescribe narcotics so that you can play ball and throw horseshoes. If your determined to continue those activities, maybe you could try something like naproxin, or a prescription strength alieve? Those are both really good anti inflammatory meds.
    Good luck to you, I hope you find the relief you are looking for.
    ~Fabby

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I was thinking the same thing as fabby. When you have a chronic pain condition you CAN'T take meds just so you can do your favorite sport. I am not even able to do simple gardening task's, house work and the things I love to do, even on pain meds daily. if you ask a Dr for pain meds so you can play horse shoe and ball, you will NOT get anywhere. that is not the right approach to get medications from any Doc. you just can't do those things anymore!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
    begga79
    (male)

begga79 HB User

OK, not one word of "narcotic" pain meds were even mentioned in my post, yet you felt the need to tell me, in a round-about way, that I am seeking! This is a pain management forum, and I'm asking if there is anything alternative to what I have already tried, like other types of anti-inflamitory meds. I'm very sorry for those of you who need these narcotic pain meds for your everyday lives. It has got to be horrible. I wish you all the best of luck and better health. This is about it for me here. I see what the focus is already. Thanks...

Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Begga,

Please dont take it that way, You said all you wanted was maybe a better anti inflammatory, and thats what I suggested, I didnt mean any offense at all and I never said you were a seeker, nor would I say such a thing. I am really sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope you will continue to post here. I'm only one person with one opinion, and I was only trying to help, honestly, thats all.

~Fabby

PS~Seriously, the only reason I mentioned narcotics was that you sounded like you had tried almost everything but that. I didnt mean to insult you in any way.

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 05-16-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: adding post script

Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Have you ever tried Celebrex? It is a very good anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
    begga79
    (male)

begga79 HB User

I, too, am sorry for the response. It's about the same things that all the doctors have stated... everybody thinks I'm seeking, and it really bothers me. Anyway, I tried Celebrex a few years ago (also have chronic back and neck issues, but not bad at this point), and my B/P went through the roof after one week on it. Relafen makes my stomach erupt with acid. I have not tried aroudus (sp?), heard it works better than IB's, but can't seem to find that anywhere! Ketaprofen (again, sp?) I have not tried, but is it any different than Ibuprofen? Losing a battle with these issues, and losing my drive .
    See, I was on the Vicoden way back, and got myself off of that. It was very addicting, and I found myself needing more and more, and it affected my entire life. I now have a 21 month old son, and I can't go back on them. This is the problem now. Want to enjoy life w/o needing the narcs. I just hope my back does not act up again, cause that's when I'll need them.
    So, I am sorry about the response, just very frustrated!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Have you ever tried Feldene, Dolibid or Toradol? They're also medications I have tried in the past especially Feldine which I believe has a lot of asprin in it. It did work for me so has the Toradol especially the shots. Also have you tried any predinsone or cortizone shots? None of these are naracotics and have helped me in the past.

Last edited by rayefaye; 05-16-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
    begga79
    (male)

begga79 HB User

Toradol has worked for me in the past, but Don't you have to get that in the ED? Can it be prescribed? Also, are all of the meds you just described anti-inflamitory meds?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

I just wanted to mention , I get this all the time . My back is so messed up , I live with pain everyday ,on about 4-5 on the pain scale. My pain managment Dr had me on 30MG Morphine and 15MG's of Oxycodone It helped me with my pain alot ! My Dr. up and moved far away so I went to another Dr. who would not fill my script ,my surgeon would only do it once. So I went through some serious withdraws too. Never again will I take that much drugs.

I don't know what your going to take for your pain? Have you seen another Dr. about this ? Something must be wrong if it still hurts right ?

I do take 10MG Hydrocodone when my pain flares.

Good luck with that shoulder . I love horse shoe's , my nickname was double Dan when I was growing up. We played shoes and had cornboils and hotdogs while we played , Oh yeah and Beer .

Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Yes, toradol does come in pill form or at least it did years ago when I took it. Also, all the other medications I mentioned are anti-flammatory drugs which help as well. Maybe you should let the doctor know you're not looking for no naracotics to treat the pain but an anti-flammatory drug. Also check to see if you can get an appointment with a Rheumatologist, that's their speciality. Also there's one more anti-flammatory I didn't mention which is a new medicine called Mobic which is also an anti-flammatory drug as well.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
    begga79
    (male)

begga79 HB User

Thank you all for your ears and input. I'll see what I can do about the toradol and maybe a different anti-inflam itory.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

I have a bad knee and before my back problems I was prescribed many anti inflamitories. There was one that I just cannot remember the full name. It was ketor????somthing. It was amazing, no side affects at all. This was an old timer dr and said it was an older remedy, but might be somthing to look into. I wish I had the full name, but was so long ago. Search for anti inflamatories beginnning with KETOR. Somthing like ketorlac/ketormine? I just cant remember, guess thats what narcotics do to me. Sorry.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
    mikesgirl
    (female)

mikesgirl HB User

Begga,

I take Mobic (meloxicam) for a back issue. It's an NSAID, works kind of ok.

Have you considered any type of injections? Are you a candidate?

I know a good musculoskeletal medicine doc in Syracuse, don't know if he could help you or not?

Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
    I have a bad knee and before my back problems I was prescribed many anti inflamitories. There was one that I just cannot remember the full name. It was ketor????somthing. It was amazing, no side affects at all. This was an old timer dr and said it was an older remedy, but might be somthing to look into. I wish I had the full name, but was so long ago. Search for anti inflamatories beginnning with KETOR. Somthing like ketorlac/ketormine? I just cant remember, guess thats what narcotics do to me. Sorry.
    OK I checked on this, it is ketorlac. Wierd thing is its only supposed to be used for no more than 5 days. I can remember being on this months and had great pain releif, but I'd follow directions and only go 5 days. I think it had somthing to do with stomach bleeding like a lot of this type med. If you were really hurting and wanted non-narcotic for a few days, I can vouch for this as I couldnt bend my knee before taking to walking pain free after. I was really surprised to get somthing that really worked that didnt involve opiates. Check w/your dr about this though. You may react differently. good luck....

Closed Thread