It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Scripts filled when Out of State

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
    Scripts filled when Out of State

I am leaving for Florida for 3 weeks this upcoming Sunday. There is an AquaTherapy group that I want to join to see if that is a better Rehab for me to get through this Physical Therapy with better results than I am currently having. My parents home is there.
    Anyway, I just saw my PM MD and my next refills are due next Wed. He would rather the scripts wait to be filled until then. I have the scripts but they say "Do Not Dispense until 5/23/07". I am getting all of my other meds (Celebrex, Elavil, Prevacid) filled this week, but the Oxy's cannot be filled til Wed. I have enough for another week, but the problem is that I will be in Florida with these scripts when its time to be refilled. What can I do to make sure that I can get them filled for the additional other 2 weeks?? Can my Pharmacy here do anything?? I am one that likes to keep all my meds coming from one pharmacy.

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: Scripts filled when Out of State

Ask your pharmacist here what you should do. If its a chain pharmacy, He will probably tell you to take it in to a florida store of the same chain.

I'm thinking maybe the best way is to leave the actual prescription with your pharmacy, and then request to be allowed to pick it up at one of their florida stores on the fill date.

Either way, your pharmacist will know best. Just make sure you speak to a real pharmacist and not just an aide, as they may not know all the ins and outs of filling schedule II meds.

Good luck and please let us know what happens, helps everyone when one of us learns something new!

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

What you do is ask the doc. when its time for your refill,instead of getting a whole months worth,ask for enough to cover you until 2 days before you go to FLA. then get your months supply,this way,your not asking for extra,my doc. loved this idea.Let me know what you think.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

That is an awesome idea, Mad! and it would certainly solve the problem!
    I know most docs allow one early fill a year for vacations, but your way is better.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Thanks Fab. I go away at least 2 times a yr. And thats what I do.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
    babs17
    Veteran
    (female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

while that does sound like a great idea, my situation is a bit different.

I have enough meds til my next refill. that next refill is next wed. My MD wrote me the script for that day already-23rd. He won't date it any earlier....I will be away for 3 weeks ....I leave this Sunday.

So...where do i fill it? can my pharmacy send it to me?

C4-C7 Herniations
    T5-T10 Herniations
    L3-S1 Herniations
    Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

I don't think he's supposed to post date scripts for one...

I'd call pharmacies in the area you're going to and ask.

I know there is a mom and pop pharmacy here (my fave place) and they fill out of state scripts....

Call around before you go - otherwise you might be stuck out of town with no meds...if you find nobody will take them - just tell him that.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Is your regular pharmacy a big chain? they are all connected by computer, So you have a much better chance of filling an out of state script when they can find previous fills under your name on the computer system. Again, I would suggest asking your pharmacist what you should do.

~Fabby

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

The other thing you might do is get the number of the pharmacy that your Mom and Dad use in Florida and call them several days before you leave. Explain to them that you are coming down with a Class II script and make arrangements for them to fill it - let them have your Doctor's phone number so they can verify the validity of the script before you arrive. Even better, ask the nurse or doc to call that pharmacy for you before you leave. I'm sure that if they can legally fill an out of state script that they would certainly be less hesitant about doing it if you've gone through all this trouble to set it up. Good luck - KathyMac If you are leaving this Sunday you STILL have time to call Florida ...it's 3:04 est here in Maryland.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hey Babs, I have no idea what to do with your RX issue but I wanted to mention something about Aqua therapy. I had it for 5 months after my first back surgery and JUST LOVED it. it was so theraputic and good for me and healthy and fun, awwwww the pool was warm and the people in my class were so nice, it was really helpful for my back pain and it was so much better than PT. I hope you love it to, and that it helps you. have fun in Florida.

SS

Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
    robigibou
    (male)

robigibou HB User

babs17,

I went to north carolina for 3 weeks about a year ago, and my doctor told me that if there was any problem getting them filled in north carolina, that the pharmicist was more than welcome to call him for verification. I am not sure if the pharmicist called, but I had no trouble obtaining my meds. I had a new script(not a refill), and although the pharmicist had questions, and needed my ID, there wasn't a problem. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor, and ask if it would be okay for the pharmicist to call your doctor, and your doctor can explain quickly what he situation is. I can assure you, that if your pharmacy is a chain store type pharmacy, you will have no trouble at all. Just a few questions.

Closed Thread