It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Please, Please Help Me, I am Living a Nightmare!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
    Exclamation Please, Please Help Me, I am Living a Nightmare!

As some of you know, I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday. I currently take Oxycontin 20 mgs twice daily, and Percocet 10 mgs twice daily.

Last month, my nurse practitioner agreed that I needed to stay on my chronic pain meds after my surgery, and the surgeon would use additional meds for my acute pain.He said that the surgeon would be responsible for pain meds after surgery and the recovery. He stated that my pain doctor could be consulted, but that my surgeon would be in charge. He stated that they would take me back, for my regular pain management needs (if I have them) after the surgeon releases me.

After my last surgery, when I suffered terrible pain, I have been trying so hard to get a plan, advocate for myself, ect. I talked with the surgeon, the anesthiesiologist, ect. Everyone agrees that I should stay on my regula meds, and receive additional meds if needed after surgery. I have crossed my I's and dotted my T's. My surgery is THURSDAY!

I called the pain center just to make sure there would be no problems with my refills (due tomorrow) as the surgeon is requesting that I bring them to the hospital on Thursday. I don't know the nurse I talked to, she doesn't know me. (My regular nurse is apparantly out of town.) I was polite, never rude. She, however, had an attitude from the very beginning.

Not only did she state that their "protocol" is to stop prescribing me my chronic pain meds altogether, but then she asked what meds I was on. I told her oxycontin and percocet. Then she states "Well that's all you will need after surgery anyway." "That is more than sufficient" What? Have they lost their mind?? I have been on this dosage for nearly two years! I only have a pain reduction of 50%. How in the world could these meds and dosages control my pain after surgery? I told her this and stated that my surgeon did not believe that this would be sufficient. She snapped, "What's is name, what's his number? I will call them right now!"

My stomach is being sliced open. I am having TWO laparotomies. One vertical, and one horizontal. The surgeon is not going to agree to prescribe both my chronic pain meds AND meds for acute pain! I have done everything in my power to get this right. And, one day beforehand, it falls apart. I cannot go into that operating room without a plan to manage my pain, and all the experts state that you must stay on your regular meds, or you will experience hypergesia and withdrawal, ON TOP of the surgical pain.

I have my monthly appointment with the pain center in the morning. However, this nurse already called my surgeons office. They called me and stated "the pain center says that they will deal with you in the morning, then they will tell us how to proceed." What does that mean? All this time the surgeon and their nurses have been supportive. Now, they are leaving me messages like this??

What am I going to do?
    Please help me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Re: Please, Please Help Me, I am Living a Nightmare!

The good news here is that is was not your caregivers saying these things to you, only the people covering the phones. If you see your regular person tomorrow, I'm sure it can be put right, if not, ask them firmly to please call that person immediatly as you had already discussed and resolved this. The surgeon likewise will go by your chart and your last conversation, not some random call from someone who wasnt even your primary prescriber.
    Just tell them that you will have to refuse the needed surgery without medication, That going in with what you have already been taking is like going in with NOTHING and your surgeon and primary caregiver have already discussed this.
    Please post tomorrow and let us know what happens!
    Your Friend, Fabby

Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
    Nu2patch
    (female)

Nu2patch HB User

Hi,
    Im so sorry that this is happening to u, it is so fusterating. Besides being nervous about the surgery u have to worry about this on top of that! I hope that everything goes well for u. I will pray for u. Please let us know!

Nu2patch

Old 05-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am hoping that things went well for you at your appt BFG,please give us an update when you can,K?fabby is completely right here tho,you DO NOT have to have any surgery without knowing that your pain control options are not fully in place.you have that right as well as others.the best thing to do is to make darn certain that everything is in writing and ask to see the orders yourself.most surgeons are pretty good about maintaining patients pain post op.just talk to him about your fears and tell him why you are feeling this way and make certain to also mention the lack of good pain control the last time.you just need some assurances before proceeding with any actual surgery.good luck,marcia

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The pain doc stated that the surgeon does indeed take care of all of my pain needs, and that I will not be prescribed my regular pain meds until the surgeon releases me after surgery. He said that the surgeon is in charge of prescribing enough meds to cover what I am already taking, as well as handling the acute pain. They did tell me what the doctors should do, and what I should expect. They said that there is no way that it is impossible to treat all my problems.

I am so scared, but I have been praying, and this is all I can do. I don't trust doctors anymore, but I do hope this surgeon can surprise me. I am asking for your prayers, as I need all I can get.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

By the way, today was my regular monthly appt. with the pain center, but I left without my scripts, as they would not prescribe them. I am now on my own on this one. No cp meds to even fall back on at this point. I have enough to get through the end of the day, and that's all.

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 05-23-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

I wish you luck in your pain control and hope the doc prescribs what is needed to manage your pain. Keep us updated as to what happens as sson as you are able to get back to a computer. Once again I hope all goes well for you, and you have a speedy recovery with less pain than before!

Wvrecon432

Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Oh Amanda! I am so angry for them making you stress out like this before a major surgery! I just can't put into words how sorry I am that you have been put in this situation sweetie!

You are paying these doctors big bucks to treat you, they are the professionals so they should be the ones working out the details of your post operative pain management so you can try and relax before this procedure. I know that we, as chronic pain patients must be our own best advovate, but seriously, when something like this is going on, they are the ones who need to do the leg work.

Did your pm doctor give you anything in writing that states that the surgeon needs to prescribe sufficient meds to cover your pain, and that he needs to take into consideration the kinds of other medications you have been on long term? I feel so badly that you are basically in the dark about some of the most important details of this procedure! It just isn't right, nor is it healthy for you to be stressed out before surgery.

I think, at this point, I would want to speak with my primary prescriber AND the surgeon via conference call and get all of this hashed out and in writing. Would that be at all possible at this late time?

I will say a prayer for you Amanda and will be sending positive thoughts your way that this will get straightened out soon!

Hugs...

Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi amanda!
    Just wanted to say, ill be thinking of you tomorrow and honestly when I had my partial hyst. a few years ago i was in the same boat, BUT they did take VERY good care of me. They did and i went thru the same stressing as you...
    Youll be fine, please believe that, and try to get a nice hot bath tonite and good rest. Youll need it! And we are here for you, and I honestly believe they will take good care of you...did you know that doctors can be sured out the wahoo for not adequately treating pain? Much less AFTER surgery? Believe me they can, and they can lose their liscence here in our state as well. it just happened in a case after surgery to a pt a few weeks ago. So remember, they arent going to let you suffer...Youll be good as gold soon so get back here and post to tell us how ya are!
    xoxoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
    luvmybeagle
    Inactive
    (female)

luvmybeagle HB User

amanda, i just wanted you to know I will be praying for you and for the surgical staff and nurses that will be caring for you. Take care.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Good Luck aAmanda, You do realize nothinghas gone any diferent than what you had aranged. Your PM doc said your surgeon would be taking over all meds , He took care of you up iuntill the night of sugrery and today you have surgery, from today on your surgeon will be handling your meds, Has the surgeons offic done anything to make you think he's not going to follow through with the plan? A snottuy NP from your PM added her two sense, that's al that happened, but your giving her way too much control over how you feel. The surgeon or his office has done nothing to make you think anything is going to go any different than stated. You simply don't have a months worth of CP meds to fall backon and that may be the safest practice, to allow the surgeon to control all eds, If you have a month supply of OC and percs in addition to what he prescribes,that's a lot of meds that could cause serious problems, you don't need a month worth of back up meds to have surgery. Your insurance may not pay for roxicdone the day after you fill 10 mg percs and oxyC, They are following protocol and what they told you would happen.

Try to calm down and realize, that NP is going to have nothing to do with post op pain control and nothing has changed. Had you filled a months worth of meds a day prior to surgery, the surgeon may very well say you have enough meds so call me when you run out. It wouldn't look right to fill a script the next day, you don't know he's not going to send you home with something even stronger than your taking now, you just didn't like the way the NP talked to you and you thought you would have back up meds just in case, Most docs wouldn't want any patient to have that large of a supply of back up meds, it's too easy to just keep taking meds when you hurt and it's too dangerous. If the surgeons meds don't work, just call him back, but the NP realy changed nothing at all. Your surgeon is still gong to take over your meds untill he releases you. Same-same.

Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread