It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• oxycotin vs oxycodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
    sundial1999
    (female)

sundial1999 HB User
    oxycotin vs oxycodone

Which is stronger? Oxycotin or oxycodone..... I went to pain management for the first time today and this doctor got me all screwed up on what I take....I normally take morphine 30 mg extended every 12 hours and then morphine 30 mg immediate release every 4 hours as needed. I didn't know what to tell him that I normally take because he confused me.....hopefully now that I'm home and have looked at my old bottles I can straighten it out with him on the next visit. I have stage 4 lung cancer....he really wanted to put a morphine pump in me....

Looking for advise,
    Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: OxyContin vs oxycodone

Dear Teresa,

Your posting had a lot in it--even though it wasn't very long!

First of all, let's deal with the "oxy" question. It's best to understand that OxyContin contains oxycodone. Oxycodone is the main ingredient in the highly publicized (and often criticized) medication called, "OxyContin". OxyContin (often referred to by the initials "OC") is the long-acting form of oxycodone. Please note that when a medication is NOT capitalized, it usually means that it is being referred to by its generic chemical name!

Next, let's address the morphine subject. Morphine (capitalized here only because it was placed at the start of the sentence. [My truly great Mom was my eighth-grade English teacher!]) is NOT the same as OxyContin, which contains oxycodone. Morphine contains morphine--but is available in both long- and short-acting forms. Long-acting morphine is available by several Brand Names like MSContin, Kadian, and Avinza--certainly not a complete listing! Short-acting Brand Names of morphine are MSIR (obviously, morphine sulfate immediate-release), Roxanol, and AstraMorph. Again, I point out this is not a complete listing!

If you can look through this Pain Management Board, you will quickly understand the tremendous amount of compassion offered by the many members here!! Particularly, if you can research "some (or all)"--rhyming with "Demerol"--of the posts made by the member whose screen name is Shoreline--real name being "Dave"--it will quickly become obvious of how much helpful knowledge he has about the life of a pain-pump patient!! Only because his humor presented itself at this precise point--I used the blatant opportunity to exploit it! Plus, Dave is so utterly knowledgeable about practically all things related to pain medicine. FRANKLY...WE ARE BLESSED FOR THE BENEFITS OF HIS EXPERIENCES!! PLEASE KNOW THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON "EQUAL FOOTING" AS WE PERUSE THESE VARIOUS THREADS. HOWEVER, we all want to be of utmost assistance when it really counts the most!! So, we kindly point out various times when some of us are R-E-A-L-L-Y offering tremendous aide!!!!!

I hope this helps!! This thread grants us all the chance to yield info 'a cut above'!!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
    sundial1999
    (female)

sundial1999 HB User
    Re: OxyContin vs oxycodone

Thank you for the info....I am now wondering if I can change from MSIR 30 mg to roxicodone for the immediate relief. I am on the oxycodone 20mg for long lasting pain relief. Can you take both of these together?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by conductor View Post
    Dear Teresa,

Your posting had a lot in it--even though it wasn't very long!

First of all, let's deal with the "oxy" question. It's best to understand that OxyContin contains oxycodone. Oxycodone is the main ingredient in the highly publicized (and often criticized) medication called, "OxyContin". OxyContin (often referred to by the initials "OC") is the long-acting form of oxycodone. Please note that when a medication is NOT capitalized, it usually means that it is being referred to by its generic chemical name!

Next, let's address the morphine subject. Morphine (capitalized here only because it was placed at the start of the sentence. [My truly great Mom was my eighth-grade English teacher!]) is NOT the same as OxyContin, which contains oxycodone. Morphine contains morphine--but is available in both long- and short-acting forms. Long-acting morphine is available by several Brand Names like MSContin, Kadian, and Avinza--certainly not a complete listing! Short-acting Brand Names of morphine are MSIR (obviously, morphine sulfate immediate-release), Roxanol, and AstraMorph. Again, I point out this is not a complete listing!

If you can look through this Pain Management Board, you will quickly understand the tremendous amount of compassion offered by the many members here!! Particularly, if you can research "some (or all)"--rhyming with "Demerol"--of the posts made by the member whose screen name is Shoreline--real name being "Dave"--it will quickly become obvious of how much helpful knowledge he has about the life of a pain-pump patient!! Only because his humor presented itself at this precise point--I used the blatant opportunity to exploit it! Plus, Dave is so utterly knowledgeable about practically all things related to pain medicine. FRANKLY...WE ARE BLESSED FOR THE BENEFITS OF HIS EXPERIENCES!! PLEASE KNOW THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON "EQUAL FOOTING" AS WE PERUSE THESE VARIOUS THREADS. HOWEVER, we all want to be of utmost assistance when it really counts the most!! So, we kindly point out various times when some of us are R-E-A-L-L-Y offering tremendous aide!!!!!

I hope this helps!! This thread grants us all the chance to yield info 'a cut above'!!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Closed Thread