It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• NEED HELP!!! I see PM Dr. tomorrow...Major Decisions and I am DESPERATE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
    OneCharmedMom
    (female)

OneCharmedMom HB User
    NEED HELP!!! I see PM Dr. tomorrow...Major Decisions and I am DESPERATE!

I am sorry, I posted this a couple of days ago but no one replied so I am trying it again. I am in tremendous pain (L4/5 S-1 fusion with severe neuropathic pain in left leg). I took a nasty fall last Sunday and the pain is only getting worse...so here is my dilemma. Sorry it is long...

I have been on a plethora of PM: the usual oral :Vicodin,Lortab, Lorcet, Darvon, Percocet,Darvocet, Norco, Ultram, and then OxyContin. IV: Dilaudid, morphine, demoral (which has always worked best for me (but not always used at every facility), toradol (YUCK) , the muscle relaxants: soma, flexeril, ativan, valium, baclofen..you get the picture.
    I have always believed myself to be fairly well versed in PM until I found this board. But could someone please explain which ones (even some that I have not listed) are more powerful per se. I understand the hydrocodone vs. oxycodone and the different strengths of opiates mixed with different strengths of acetemitephen (sp?) and that they nind to different pain receptors which work different for each person, but are a the Darvon, etc and the Lortab/Lorcets hydrocodone? and the Percodcet/Percoden the oxycodone? And where does the dilaudid fit in? Hydromorphone? WHich I guess is a dirivitive of morphine? Does morphine come in an oral form? Why is demerol so rarely used anymore (at least in my area), only because of the highly addictiveness and it is poorly absorbed and can cause fatal seizures? Ha ha ! Is that all?? Well, it freaking WORKS for me!!
    Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...currently I am weaning ff of norco but I need an alternative and am really considering going back on oxycontin because I need to function and take care of my family. When I was on it about 5 years ago (I was on it for about 4 years and it worked great) I was single and going to college and not too many 'grown up' responsibilities. But I worry that now I would be driving my baby around, or cooking dinner and other grown up things and my husband works 48 hours shifts and would it be safe for me to be on it?
    I know.. .this is a lot..sorry but I see my PM Dr. on Monday and I feel like I want to go in with as much info as possible.
    THANKS SO MUCH!!
    You guys are GREAT!!!!!
    xxoo
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
    Inactive
    (male)

72575 HB User
    Re: NEED HELP!!! I see PM Dr. tomorrow...Major Decisions and I am DESPERATE!

From my experience, the short acting meds work faster and better. Such as Perecocet, Hydrocodone and Vicodin. I prefer Percocet. Morphine does nothing for me but make me mean and irritable in a major way, even violent. That sucks.
    The longer acting meds work, but the problem I found was that while they are trying to find what dose you need, you're suffering in the meantime while they are figuring it out.

Another problem may present itself with your pain doc, too. If you ask for a specific drug, he/she may become suspicious of drug seeking. It makes sense to want what works, I know, but many doctors see it not so much as you knowing what works, but you wanting a certain drug to abuse. Sad but true. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. As I said in another thread, when my first pain doctor wanted to put me on Tramadol, while I was currently on Percocet as my regiment from the previous doctor who sent me to her, I told her that the Tramadol wasn't effective and that I didn't want to use it, and she in turn accused me of drug seeking. It made me mad, but what can you do? I figured common sense would dictate to her that stepping down from Percocet to Tramadol probably wouldn't be very smart, but there you go.

You're pretty much at the mercy of you doctor, I'm afraid. Hopefully you get a good doctor who will listen to you and understand you without having a heap of bias before you even walk in the door. Hopefully he/she asks you what works for you and the two of you go from there, but there is always the possibility that he/she will just tell you what you're getting and that will be that, wheather it works or not. That has been my experience, anyway.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
    pattihabs
    Veteran
    (female)

pattihabs HB User

hi, don't know what kind of pain you have. i have rsd which is a nerve pain. the best med i ever had and the only 1 to work for me is methadone. 5mg 3x aday. i have bad side affects but not everyone does. meth is said to be the best nerve med. lots of luck. also,what 72575 said about the doctors think if you ask for a specific med, that has never happened to me and i always ask to try different meds, you have to try the different ones till you find the one that works for you and as professionals, i would think they can tell an addict over someone looking for pain relief. good luck. patti

Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
    tkb
    (female)

tkb HB User

Brooke,
    hi i'm from UK, i don't know what the pharmacy is like over there but i've been taking PREGABALIN it's by pfizer and fairly new on the market, it's for neuropathic pain. I've been taking it for 5 months now started on low dose of 50mg db now i'm on 600mgbd. It has good read ups but has it's draw backs with side effects, like weight gain which is certainly consistant with my experience and dizziness, again i found this very hard to cope with but i kept in there finding the dizziness subsided, just the weight gain is still with me. Well what can i say, it's early days for me with this drug, it has helped me but only slightly, i can't say it's had profound effects on me but do enquire into this drug with your pm it may be available on the market over there and it may well work for you, it's got to be worth a try. Like you i have tried various cocktails of drugs for the past 3 years now and all to no avail, I'm sure there's something out there that works for us, everyones different.

Good Luck
    tkb

Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
    OneCharmedMom
    (female)

OneCharmedMom HB User

thanks to all of you who replied with some good sdvice and suggestions. My pain has been diagnosed as neuropathic and radicular(spelling?) in my left leg. I also degenerative discs at L4-5 and my S/I joint is just 'tweaked' (that is MY diagnosis).

I am hoping to have a good outcome today. Since we are weaing off of the norco, I know that we will not start something new until I am completely off of the that. Another 3 weeks or so. But hopefully he will listen to me that the valium helped tremendously with the foot pain. But I have a feeling he is not going to, he is not a fan of valium, flexeril, soma...I bet he will give me baclofen or something like that. You know..something with less addictive potential but is not effective. I know he is looking out for my best interest (we have been working together since my injury 12 years ago, so he knows EVERYTHING.), but I am hitting a wall right now.

Thanks again!
    Brooke

Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User

I have the same problem!!Same fusion and left leg pain. I had an MRI and it showed another disk, but according to the Neuro it would not cause pain in the left leg. The sciatic type pain is brutal and some days are worse than others. I had EMG studies which showed sensory neuropathy in both legs and feet. So I take oxycodone(short-acting) about 60 mgs. a day and believe me I could easily take 80!!!Neurontin made me gain too much weight and other pain meds have a lot of tylenol which concerns me. I have tried several times to get off the meds because I don't like being "addicted" but living in pain is not living to me. So I had to make a choice. Hope you feel better soon. Love, Sharonn

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
    OneCharmedMom
    (female)

OneCharmedMom HB User

Thanks everyone for replying. I wanted to give you a quick recap so I can get to bed. I have to sleep when my newborn is sleeping or I DO NOT SLEEP!. So I saw my PM yesterday and we yelled and screamed and swore: well mostly I did. But he was compassionate and said that it was mostly the withdrawals from the Norco talking (I am so sick of him saying that, but I guess he is probably right. Even though going down one per week doesn;t sound like much). But he gave me ativan (it has mellowed me out a bit and assured me that after I am weaned off of norco for about 3 weeks (so within 5-6 weeks - sounds like an eternity) we will discuss a gameplan. He assured me he will NOT leave me hanging. WHether it is Oxycontin, or some other ER opiate so be it: he will give me what I need/want/what is best for me. Even though I said I never would go on Oxycontin again because the detox/withdrawals were the most brutal symptons ever. But the pain is THAT bad. He just told me to focus on other things, my baby, my husband, listen to music, WHATEVER - he also banned me from this board becuase he has banned me from thinking about my pain because he says it makes it worse. Realistically HA! Impossible to forget the pain..but I will try my best.
    Good luck to you all! I will be around..I am not very good at following directions....
    Brooke

Old 06-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
    onyxgates
    Veteran
    (female)

onyxgates HB User

I am confused. Why are you being weened off of the Norco before starting a new drug. It isn't necessary. I would question the doctor. I would be worried about what the plan is going to be if your doctor is trying to get you off of Norco. Is he trying to lower your tolerance? Good luck

Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User
    Cool Re: NEED HELP!!! I see PM Dr. tomorrow...Major Decisions and I am DESPERATE!

Hi Brooke.
    Do you know what med he plans on starting you on? It seems weird to me that he hasnt told you what medication he wants to try next, also that he wants you completely off the Norco before he even discusses it.
    Do you have a reason to think this doctor may want you off all opiates? Otherwise, I cant figure out why he hasnt started you on something else during the taper. or at least told you what he plans on giving you.
    The good news in that there are a lot of great non opiate meds, particularly for nerve pain. Even if you dont see eye to eye with him, new modalitys are always worth a try, you never know when something will work for you.
    Physical theraphy is something else he may be willing to prescribe, and even if it amounts to no more than a massage twice a week, it can be very relaxing and help with the pain.
    I cannot imagine dealing with a newborn and chronic pain at the same time, you have my sympathy. I hope next week brings you good news.
    ~~Fabby

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

That sounds strange to me also.

I hope things turn out well.

Congrats on the newborn!!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 AM   #11
    Inactive
    (male)

72575 HB User

I'd be looking for a new doctor. This guy sounds shady. It would be better for you to have someone else lined up in case he decides to screw you over, like many doctors seem to do anymore, for whatever reason.

My PM went from wanting to stuff me full of drugs to telling me she was taking me off everything within the month because I was too young to be on opiates. I'm 32, granted that is young to be on opiates, I guess, but is it too young to be in chronic pain from a broken disc and a surgery? No. I don't get it.
    Needless to say I am currently seeking a new PM and will be talking to my family doctor later this week about finding another one. I could care less about the contract I signed with my current PM. She had an obligation to fill that I was paying for and she doesn't want to do it anymore, so the deal is off as far as I'm concerned. Makes me mad.

Closed Thread