It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• First time on LYRICA & very sick!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User
    Exclamation First time on LYRICA & very sick!

I saw my new PM yesterday and he took me off my lortabs and told me to take Lyrica 50mg twice a day, but not to drive. I am dizzy, trembling, nausia, vomiting, stomach pain, can't remember when I fell asleep/Passed out last night, no sense of balance and keep falling. He was told I could not take Neurontin due to severe side effects and in the past a different doctor tried me on Geodon, All these are causing me the same problems, I looked it up and found they are all in the same family. I have a problem with ALL SSRI's and he knew that. Also I work full time.

I have had a spinal fusion and have a pinched nerve in lumbar area and also both knee's are in pain and need scoped very soon.

This morning, sick or not, I have to go to work. So I did not take the Lyrica this morning, and think I should begin the lortabs again until I see him on Tuesday, and a couple hours before I go, I will take a Lyrica just to show this idiot what is going on.

I will lose my job on this stuff!

I guess it's still in my system and it's been 13 hours, I can't think straight and can't spell, I have to have help just to write this and corrrect the spelling of every word.
    On Neuontin I got so confused that I was stopping at green lights and running the red ones. I totally lost my BRAIN somewhere.
    When cooking, I can'r remember if the food goes in the pan or the sink or if the stove is supposed to be on or off to cook.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,
    StarDust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User
    Re: First time on LYRICA & very sick!

Stardust,
    I'm sorry you are having problems. You need to call the doc and let him know what is going on. I've been on neuronton for about 5 weeks. and doc just upped it. I haven't been sick, but I'm having problems remembering how to type, and I always feel as if I'm gonna get goosebumps on my leg. I don't, but i get that tingleing feeling. i can't drive, sometimes have trouble walking. Everyone tells me to hang in there, it will ease up...But I still think you should call the doc. Hope it gets better.
    Mary

Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly,i do think you did the right thing.this particular med appears to go from one extreme to the other with people.it made me sick too.i kept walking into flippin walls and just try and stay in the middle of a hallway while navigating thru your house.it totally fried my brain too,i felt totally out of it on this stuff.this also for the first time ever,gave me double vision that went up and down,not the normal side to side crap.it was a horrid experience for me too.this also made my kidneys swell up.once i tried this stuff,any other anti S med i have tried now gives me the same type of effects.i have just been assuming it is a problems with my kidneys.i do have PKD so this part didn't suprise me,but i am amazed that you are feeling side efects too with the other types of meds in the same group.that makes me feel a bit better.knowing you are not the only one just helps.

right now,i am not taking any anti S meds til something happens with my kidneys.i do think lyrica did do 'something' to my brain tho.i never ever had any side effects from neurontin way before i had tried lyrica,but after ,as a last resort type thing,i tried neurontin again,bam,the same lyrica side effects just started back up again.the neurontin for me when i took it for over two years never ever gave me any side effects what so ever,nothing,it was like taking a vitamin for me.but after lyrica,well it got ugly for me and i couldn't get past only 200mgs of neurontin when i HAD been at 3200mgs before.thats when i knew the lyrica just had to have altered something in my brain.it was just too weird for words for me to have any reaction from neurontin.

the realy sad thing is that lyrica actually helped my RSD pain and my central pain,and it also for the first time took down about half of the normal RSD swelling that just comes along with ride.and it has stayed this way now for over a year.that particular amount of "normal' for me swelling has not come back since i tried the lyrica.this stuff just had to do something to me to maintain that loss of swelling for over a year now.i just don't know what the heck it is.

so it was a bad/good med for me,but the side effects were just too severe to keep on with it.i think we both must have a sensitivity to anti S type meds in some way.after i went off the lyrica,i started researching it a bit more(should have done this stuff BEFORE??)and i did find out they are doing studies now onthe opthamologic effects and the effects on creatinine levels(an indicator of kidney function),so who knows what will be found out about lyrica down the line.i also had one heck of a bad experience with cymbalta too.but that nightmare is for another day.i have decided not to try any new meds in the near future just because they do not appear to actually agree with me,plus no one really knows just how these meds will be in a few years down the line and what will actually come out of a much bigger population who are now taking this stuff too.should be interesting tho.can you say vioxx?

i wish you luck in fnding something that will actually control your pain without causing you to end up losing your job.keep me posted,marcia

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
    septemberwoman
    Veteran
    (female)

septemberwoman HB User

All of drugs in this family make me nuts. The worst one made me not be able to talk--I mean not at all. I would think words and try to make them come out but they just came out as "dooo, uhuh, ssss" It freaked everybody out of course!! Sorry you can't take them either. I have heard they can really help some people.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I just got home from work, after I felt the Lyrica was completely out of my system I went back to my Lortabs. However they won't last forever. another Doctor, I told him that when he has a patient who can tolerate a med for 6 months with no complaints, then to call me, but I won't be his guiney pig, I don't care WHAT our government says.

I can't get in to see the PM until Tuesday, so 2 hours before the visit I am going to take 1 Lyrica and hubby will drive me, so he can see for himself.
    Hubby said he was up all night scared to death, I just sorta passed out and no matter how he tugged on me, shook me, anything, I never knew it. He had to keep checking my breathing.

I know the Doctors are talking to each other, and the one KNEW I couldn't take SSRI's, but whatever was said, the PM gave it to me. Guess he thought it was all in my head and would try it under a different name.

Boy does he have a big surprise coming.
    StarDust

Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I see so many people on here with terrible problems from Lyrica. I also read the pharmacy paper and it is highly addictive, so whats the difference of taking that or taking a narcotic pain med?

He also has me on Flexeril 10mg, I don't think the 2 go together very well. It relaxes you WAYYYYY to much.

I was so sick most of the day, I couldn't wait for it to wear off. I believe I read somewhere that Geodon is also the same thing, the name was just shortened. and I had a severe allergic reaction to it a few years back.

So why do they keep giving us the same medicine with a different name???

My husband said I was wobbly and falling into walls before I made it to the bed, and I don't remember a thing after that. Not him shaking me, tugging on me, nothing. But it sure scared him.
    StarDust

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Here is another name for it! once again they have another spelling.

Gabarone

Stardust

Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

I had the same issues with Lyrica last month. I was sooo dizzy I couldn't lift my head up off the pillow. The doctors just say oh well...if they couldn't do their jobs it would be a big deal!!! Even after the dizziness wore off(two days, I think) my brain felt as if it were floating in a bowl of jello. I told him at the last visit that no pain relief was worth not being able to think. He said...ok let's try this one...clonidine. I've had it sitting on the counter for a week...I'm afraid to take it. Maybe next week when I have nothing planned for a whole day.

Good luck to you. And it's good to know that if this happens on lyrica it will happen on any drug in the family. I'm glad he didn't try neurontin or ???

Thanks, Mush

Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

If he would of tried Neurontin I never would of had it filled. The Clonidine doesn't sound as bad, from what I know about it, it does cause some dizziness, nausea, Nervousness, sexual problems (but what doesn't), and is used for even quitting smoking. But the side effects sounds so much better and are not suppose to last very long, Let me know if you try it before Tuesday. I might ask him to try that one instead. It comes in a tablet or a 7 day patch.
    Hummmmmmmm Anyone else have something that works without being part of the living dead?
    StarDust

Old 06-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
    myspine
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

myspine HB User

Hi Stardust
    Wow its been sooooo long since i have chatted with you, well i have been away for sooo long....I think the last time we "chatted" was in 2005...
    Catch me up on your situation..and how you have been and what has happened...
    Are you with a different doctor now?? I am still with the same doctors since back then..
    i have just started on the patch 2 months ago...and after trying many meds it is sure to be the best so far...
    let me know
    Shelley
    (myspine)

Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Howdy Partner
    Yep a Very Loooong time indeed.

I'm with the same doctor, but he is releasing me cause he said there is nothing else he can do for me. After the first Fusion and the hardware migrated, I had to have the Fusion Revised and since then have a pinched nerve in the lumbar region, and now have 2 bad knee's on top of that. I have been working this past year and am having a really hard time holding onto my job, I can fake it really well, except when the Sciatic nerve is really bad and my left leg won't work, and I end up either dragging it or limping really bad, which is hard to do because of the bad knee's.

I went to wal-mart and took about 5-6 steps and my left leg wouldn't work and was in severe pain. I got a new PM last week, the first visit he wanted to take me off Lortab (only have had them a few months) and put me back on the Fentynal patches. But on the second visit he decided to try this LYRICA altho he knows I have severe reactions to Neurontin. So I have an appt with him on Tuesday and really wish he would just go back to the patches, but I don't know how to get threw to him.

I asked him point blank about our first meeting and him mentioning the patches, now he says he wants to try OTHER methods first. (being these SSRI's I have severe reactions too). I really don't know how to talk to him since he is new, I don't want to come off as a drug seeker, but he has no idea how much pain I am in. I did have an MRI of my knee's and they need scoped for a possible Meniscus Tear or Arthritis.

SOOOOOO, Shelley, AND anyone else, PLEASE!!! Can anyone tell me how to talk to him? I know he had spoken with my Shrink (I have severe Panic Disorder) and my Shrink has known for 15 years that I cannot take SSRI's. Yet this guy wants to try them, how many he wants to try I don't know, but I don't feel like wasting all my money for scripts I cannot take.

Thanks ,Terri AKA StarDust

Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
    RozIA
    Inactive
    (female)

RozIA HB User

If you are sick you are sick . Quit taking them . Besides they put weight on you big time just like neurontin. Go for Keppra , Tegretol , ameriotriptline

Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Didn't get to read the entire thread but saw Lyrica. I take 75mg twice a day and have not had one problem. I researched it beforehand and heard about the awful weight gain. Not me. Not one pound. But I watch it too. I guess each person is different. It has helped with nerve pain but not great i will likely increase the dose. I think you need to stay on it awhile until your body gets used to it. I think the first few days I had a loopy feeling and then it was gone. Good luck

Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

RozIA,
    I can't take Tegretal either, and I have already stopped taking the LYRICA. The problem is how to talk to him since he is new without sounding like a drug seeker. I cannot take ANY SSRI"S.

Last edited by sandollar; 06-17-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle View Post
    Didn't get to read the entire thread but saw Lyrica. I take 75mg twice a day and have not had one problem. I researched it beforehand and heard about the awful weight gain. Not me. Not one pound. But I watch it too. I guess each person is different. It has helped with nerve pain but not great i will likely increase the dose. I think you need to stay on it awhile until your body gets used to it. I think the first few days I had a loopy feeling and then it was gone. Good luck
    OK, You mentioned you didn't get the entire thread, so I'll catch you up. I have severe allergic reactions to SSRI's, including LYRICA, NEURONTIN, all of them. The new PM wants to try all these SSRI's I have been on in the past with severe problems. And I don't want to waste my money on meds I already know I cannot take.
    I did fine on the patches (fentynal) and am currently taking Lortabs. I would be willing to try Keppra, I don't think it's an SSRI.
    But, I don't know how to talk to him without sounding like a drug seeker.
    StarDust

Closed Thread