It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• 5 days notice for refills, the sign said.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Re: 5 days notice for refills, the sign said.

I have another thought...
    And if someone has mentioned it, please forgive me...I just got home from a long tourney~
    Dont cut your nose off to spite your face with this doc until you have another...it sounds like to me, that she is somehow thinking you may have a problem...could she have spoken to another previous doc you had?
    ANYWAY..she is making you wait for your refills to test you...If you throw a fit, then she will say "ok, well you seem to be a tad anxious for your refills, so I think we need to end this...blah blah" Meaning..." Im not wanting to prescribe for you any more."
    So you have two choices...Find another doc...OR have her taper you and get you into a better place...SHE OWES it to you..She has been your prescribing doc...so IF she wants to take you off...she needs to help you...
    I hope you can stay strong...Please...
    I have an 11 yr old son, and he would just die if anything happened to me. Your wife may not know how to handle this, but at least she is an adult and can find ways to cope...
    Your kids or kid? No way...Please hang in there. there is someo9ne out there that will help you get off of this terrible trip. Please let us know what we can do and post so we know you are ok!~
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #17
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Dee,
    I thought hospice was only for end stage illnesses?

And I'm not sure I agree with you that suicide is only an addicts tool to get what he/she wants.

Many people in chronic pain have stated that they cannot go on as they are (untreated, either by opiate therapy or anything else) and 'just want it to stop'. At my worst I believe I said something similar, although I dont think I meant suicide, as I am a devout Roman Catholic and a mother who would never do that to her children. let alone to my parents or husband.

I am not clear how using your criteria you could discern an addict from a person in chronic pain?

I'm just curious, thank you. I totally agree with you that it would be best for him to be in an inpatient treatment facility.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

Chronic pain can ruin the most optomistic person!! It tears and wears down your spirit. And it may be he's asking for drugs--but he is accually asking for relief. boomer

Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
    tampatar
    (female)

tampatar HB User

Hospice is for end stage of life - most hospice take patients that have a prognosis of one year or less - some use 6 months
    Suicide is never the answer for those left behind - I know you are hurting terribly but suicide is a selfish act and you are not a selfish person - you sound like a very caring person - hang in there and know you have a purpose on this earth; just find it (maybe your children have something coming up in later years that only Daddy's love can fix) Peace and Grins to you TT

Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #20
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

725 are you out there somewhere??would love to hear something from you.i know i am not the only concerned person waiting to hear from you.

just so you know,because of the volume of patients at my primarys clinic,they started the 'please call in for refill thing when you are down to a five day supply last year sometime.a little sign just appeared on the wall in the waiting room one day.when you consider that you are not the only patient there and some can have like five or ten Rxs that all have to be looked up in their files and everything has to be okayed by a busy doc before it can be called in,well,five days seems resonable to me.i don't think your doc ment that while you are in the office,it would take five days for them to write your Rx.i know mine just requires that you call the refill in when you are AT about a five day supply so they have time to get it looked up and called in.this is what i was told at my clinic anyway.

i hope to hear from you soon,i AM worried about you and how this is all affecting you right now.you just have some chioces to make here.and we can help you with that.hope things are okay,marcia

Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi guys!
    Im checking in as well....Im off again sunday to go out of town, but wanted to see how things were going...I hope you are ok...We are all pulling for you!!!
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
    mindmltn
    (male)

mindmltn HB User

I had had the same exact issues as you.
    I hope you find the strength to fight this out for your kids.
    I just sat in the shower before work and cried my eyes out like a little baby just this Monday so I know how it feels to be desperate and feel like no one knows what you are feeling like and you couldn’t feel any lower.
    I honestly don't know how I drag myself to work most days.
    I had a doctor that said the same exact thing to me.
    I am 30 and have been in PM for over 3 years now.
    It has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs and lately it has been mostly downs.
    I don’t know why my girlfriend still bothers with me.
    I am surprised by how my family reacts to me and my situation.
    I know I am my toughest critic.
    I know that if you aren’t getting the treatment you need then you should drop that doctor.
    There are others that will listen and look past the stigma around you about the addiction and may even be able to give you guidance in that area.
    Now me and my doctor had some issues with my meds not lasting me.
    He tried to give me weekly post dated scripts.
    That worked well.
    You might want to try that with your next doctor.
    Mine would just write me 4 prescriptions all for one weeks worth of meds and post date three of them for the days that I could fill them and I trained my self to make them last most months.
    Now I am not saying I am perfect and I try way too hard to be like I used to and I pay the price when I over do it and take more meds to fight the pain.
    I just try real hard to stretch what I have left so I don’t burden my doctor with having to fill me early or cut me off. He doesn’t want to do that and neither do I.
    I guess I am really blessed in that area.
    I have a caring doctor.
    We have really good talks when I do get to see him for my injections.
    I know what it is like to look at your gun and think it would be so easy to use it and take it all away.
    But for your kid’s sake don't do it.
    Keep coming back here for support.
    I know a lot of people judged you on this post but forget them. They must be perfect.
    I have had really cool people reach out to me like izzysmom and make me feel better about myself and my situation.
    That is why I am here almost everyday.
    I hope this post finds you well and in a better place here on earth.
    Don’t give up.
    There is hope.
    I keep telling myself that and on the bad days it helps a little.
    Anyways keep your head up and keep fighting the good fight.
    It will be worth it.
    I read some posts on this site like yours and think how easy I have it.
    Thanks for showing me that i dont have it so rough.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
    LAndrews2008
    (female)

LAndrews2008 HB User

I cxan do you one better, my Pain management doctor requires 4 days to write a script that he doesn't even write his office manager (who by the way is not a doctor and at the office 5 days a week) writes. I am really leeary as I am on major pain meds and in the process of having surgery and was told the surgeon writes post op meds. I almost felt like she thought I would no longer need chronic pain meds, mind you this is the 5th surgery and the last as I also have my doubts on it working.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #24
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Doctors have to be very careful when treating a person with an addiction. I know because my daughter, sadly is an addict and she has real pain. The thing IS, if she gets prescribed pain meds she just cannot control taking them the appropriate way.
    That is the nature of addiction. There is NO blame, but proper treatment is needed. And the "whole" person has to be treated when dealing with addiction.

Our pain clinic in the town next to where I live does treat addicts with opiates if needed. They run a tight ship and that is good. They did not always used to be that way because my daughter was using street drugs AND going there for her pain pills. She is lucky to be alive. And what busted my butt was they knew she was an addict, but never did a physical, meaning JUST CHECK HER ARMS! and the track marks were there believe me!

This is a tough call. I would not want to be a doctor trying to help an addict but knowing too that I could be ending their life if they were and are apt to abuse drugs.
    I think seeking recovery for the addiction is key. Getting off the drugs is the easy part, learning to live life without the drugs is the hard part, when you see the whole picture.

I DO wish you the best. For my chronic pain treatment if my refills are due on a Friday lets say, I always call no Monday. I think with the volume of patients treated that just helps my doctor to have enough time to get the prescription written out in time. And I follow up as well.

Please do check in and keep us posted.
    You have my prayers and please, never lose your HOPE

Madison

Closed Thread