It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone taking Neurontin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User
    Anyone taking Neurontin?

I started taking Neurontin for nerve pain from disc issues in the back. Anyways, it has been working wonders and I can't believe how much better I have been feeling. I am wondering how long can an individual stay on this drug? I have no problems with side effects and I am kinda afraid that maybe it is just temporary. I have been in chronic pain for over a year and this week has been the first time in a very long time that I have felt 80-90% better majority of the day. I hope I am just being a bit paranoid. Please if anyone has any insight on the length of time you can be on Neurontin can you please let me know. Thanks.

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Neurontin?

Syrinx-
    I'm glad you are getting help with the Neurontin. I take it for nerve pain and it works for me too. I've only been with my PM doctor since about October, so I've not been on it for a really long time.

I know there are people here who do take who may be able to help answer your question about the long term results.

I can tell you that I have a cousin suffers with Chrons and has for many, many years. She takes Neurontin and has been taking it for years and still gets results. I don't know if she has had to increase her dosing, but she still gets relief from it after years being on it.

Again, I'm really glad you are having good results. I hope it continues to work for you!!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Syrinx! Your's was the first post that I've read today and it truly made me smile!! Just thinking about a fellow pain sufferer who is 80-90% better on Neurontin is cause for celebration in my book!! I was on Neurontin for a very short time because I had some side effects that were pretty bad, but I too know 2 people who have been on it for more than 10 years and still get good results. So, it sounds like you will have improved pain relief from here on out and I couldn't be happier for you! KathyMac

Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Thanks so much for responding. I will have to ask my physiatrist about my question. But, I wanted to know from experienced people. I over did it yesterday, so, I am a bit sore today. I gotta learn to take it slow. I guess I was celebrating in my own way. I suppose now that I pushed myself too hard I am getting learn what my boundaries are. Again, thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate them. Have a good weekend.

Angie

Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Angie, Congrats on the reduction of pain!!! I am so excited for you.

I have been thinking that I should see about taking this but from what I have heard it leaves you in a fog and causes alot of weight gain. Obviously it is to soon for you to know about the weight gain but have you noticed being in a fog with it?

Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Pepper,

I am not really in a fog..but when I first started to take it I get sleepy. But, I think either I am getting used to it now or maybe the effect is wearing off. I haven't noticed weight gain. I am actually on Weight Watchers now and have been losing weight still. I really hope I don't end up with the weight gain. Anyways, maybe you should give it a shot. Good luck if you do.

Angie

Old 07-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I was concerned about the weight gain and the brain fog before starting, and I can say that I did get brain fog/drowsy side effects but they went away fairly quickly, and we were able to titrate up in a span of 2-3 weeks to the dose that works for me.

As far as the weight gain, I'm on 1500mgs a day and haven't gained any weight. I know it can cause weight gain, but so far, so good for me.

I certainly hope it won't be an issue for you syrinx since you are getting great results from it. It's great to hear the success stories ya know?

Old 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

Hi all,
    I've been on Neurontin for going on 3 months. At first it did leave me in a bit of a fog, but I'm doing ok now. I take 300 mg in the morning and 600 mg at nite. I haven't gained any weight. In fact, I have lost weight. My chlosteral has gone down from 280 to 180. I think it is because it works so well as making me feel better, that I'm not under all the stress of constant pain. I'm also taking Cymbalta 60mg at nite, and of course Percocet 3 times a day. I would say try it. I've almost started feeling like I might again be able to function and do everyday things. Hope this helps.
    Mary

Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Syriinx and I apologize for butting in on your thread.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

No problem...I don't think of it as "my" thread...it is everyones.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
    MKA290
    (male)

MKA290 HB User

I am taking Neuronton. I am coming of it now. I gained 30 lbs and it left me in a complete fog. This is only after taking 300 milligrams a day. Now that I am coming off it I believe it did help me with the pain about 25%. I'd rather have this pain however than be in a dizzy fog and continue to gain weight. Overall, I would say this drug does not work.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
    curiousforever
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

curiousforever HB User

Last time I was on it for over a year. This time - 1 1/2 yrs. Finally did an increase as it wasn't working quite as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

I haven't tried this(I tried Lyrica--which is similar) but know a few people who have had great success. My friend's mom has taken it for 7 years for nerve pain in her legs and swears by it. Good luck.~Mussh

Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Drugs work differently in each person. Lyrica did nothing for me. I have been on the Neurontin now for about hmmm 3 weeks. I over did it last weekend and it took me the whole week to feel better. I have been increasing my dosage and just started taking 600 mg, 3 times a day. I guess even though I was feeling really great at the time when I started the thread. That even though we over do it and feel crappy we can't rely on it to just knock that pain right out. I am wondering if this is a normal thing to experience. Overdoing it, and Neurontin not really working? This morning when I woke up I actually felt a lot better. I am trying not to over do it today. When will I ever learn just to do a little then be satisfied with that? Anyways, I hope you guys are having a good day.

Angie

Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #15
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I did take it for about 1 1/2 years. I did not like the side effects and it was not a good combination with all my other meds. Everyone is different though. My sister takes it and it seems to help but she has gained alot of weight.

I have taken the Lyrica also and got know relief from that either. My brother-in-law takes the Lyrica and swears by it though so just keep that in mind.

You always have to decide if the good of the meds out weigh the side effects.

Good Luck to all and Stay Well!!!!!!

Closed Thread