It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Generic Oxycontin HELP!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User
    Generic Oxycontin HELP!!

Hello I have been on Oxycontin for sometime now at 20mg bid and 10mg percocet for BT pain for trigeminal nueralgia(think i spelled it right)..I have taken the generic oxycontin made by watson and brand name only up until this month. I went to my appointment as usual and my doc upped the dose to 30mg bid(one 20mg tab and one 10mg tab)..we recently changed insurance companies so this month I had to wait almost 10 days for the insurance to approve the RX for the Oxycontin so I had to use the percocet for pain(it was approved same day). When I finally did receive the 20mg RX(still waiting on 10mg RX for some reason) they filled it with Teva brand generic. I am completely at awe on how bad they actually work. I am not saying they dont work a little but compared to the others I was getting and used to..they work about 30% as good. I am resorting to using the percocet again more often. Does anybody else think the same thing? I was told at the pharmacy the watson brand is no longer made, and even teva will cease in december and only Oxycontin from purdue will be available again. Is this true? i dont mind at all really so I can have brand again, I just never want this Teva crap again...it is horrible! Last question for you guys...
    If i request for my doctor to write the RX for brand only from now on will I have to go through another pre-auth with my insurance company to approve brand since I got generic this time approved? I used to get brand no problem with my other insurance company but they were bought out by this company so we have this now(Wells Fargo) and our hospital changed to them this month. Thanks
    Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also is there a way to make the Teva brand work better? like drinking a glass of water or taking on an empty stomach or eating? something like that? hope someone knows something because this is not fun being in pain and the drug that was helping is now not and almost withdrawl like feelings happen unless I take percocet.

thanks guys
    Wvrecon432

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
    mudbone
    Inactive
    (male)

mudbone HB User
    Re: Generic Oxycontin HELP!!

I feel for ya buddy! Same thing happened to me. You have to suffer this month but next time; This is the trick. Your ins will pay for brand IF there are no generics available. So I shopped all around my county till I found a pharmacy that had run out of all generics and would only sell brand. My ins didnt like it but they had to pay! They are even sending me stuff in the mail to purchase from them directly for their generics, but I replied, no thanks that they didnt work as well. I explained to my Dr and now they even write DAW dispence as written. As far as this month sorry, just tuff it out and use your BT meds. As far as I know there is nothing you can do to enhance your Tevas and even if their was the board will toss you for discussing it. You can be tuff, its only 1 month, I did it! Mud...

Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

Thanks....but I am only allowed to use 2 pharmacies where I live as mandated by the new insurance. i am going to have my doc write brand name only from now on. He told me before he didnt have a problem with it. i only hope I wont have to go through thr pre-auth again with this new sucky insurance. I will ride it out for this month and hope to be pain free next month. I am also getting me Ambien wrote for brand also next month. i got the new generic ambien this month not knowing because all I got was brand before and guess what? it is also made by Teva....these ppl need to learn how to copy drugs right! Thanks mudbone for your reply!

Wvrecon432

Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I am in the same boat. I always get brand name and this month I got the DREADED Teva brand. I am in sooo much more pain it is horrifc. I hate them. I will never get them again but its all they had. I am thinking of calling my Dr and asking for a new RX But I am not sure if I can do that, I will have to pay out of pocket most likely.

does anyone know if I can do anthing, I could return the bottle to the pain clinic and let them dispose of them, and get a new RX. I am so miserable. I just took one 2 hours and I am in severe pain, this is so awful, they are NOT good. I went to the pharmacy yesterday and told him about he. he said I beg to differ and that I am not correct they are just as good. he argued me and i said look, I am the customer and the patient and i am telling you that they DO NOT work as good, he did not agree with me. I am just miserable on these things. thankfully I have oxy IR I can take 4 a day but there 5mgs and this will not cut it for my pain... UGH!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i can soo relate to you all.i had this problem with the endo version.no way does that brand actually have the very same amount of oxy as the name brand,no way.it also gave me a headache and i felt nauseas pretty much all the time while having to take it.luckily at that time i was having to get my Rxes every two weeks so i didn't have to go too long on it.my NP now writes DAW on all my rxes and i have to pay a bit higher co pay but the difference in the total type of relief i get with it is a very small price to pay.i would think if your doc does the DAW on your Rx,the ins co would okay it but you would have to pay a bit more for it.my ins co had absolutely noproblem with me doing it this way.just speak to your doc about it.unfortunetly once you actually pick up the Rx from the pharm,there is just no way they will take it back.not with oxycontin anyways.i think you just may have to tough this one out.just have a chat with your PM about it,they shouldn't have any problem doing this given the problems you are having with it.i know mine was okay doing it.i just have to make certain when i call in my requests to the PM every month that mention 'oxycontin with the DAW'.good luck with this,i really do know how much it sucks to be where you are at.Marcia

Closed Thread