It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• trigger point injection cost

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
    artyst
    (female)

artyst HB User
    trigger point injection cost

has anyone had trigger point injection therapy?? i had this performed on my neck for relief of whiplash pain in my neck and shoulder. the doctor has charged my insurance company $4,000 for the first visit! i had a total of 5 sessions with 3-4 shots each time. i'm shocked by this price. can anyone tell me what this therapy usually costs???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: trigger point injection cost

i have had LOTS of TP injections over the past few years,its become like this annual ritual we do when things get plain ugly up there in c spine land.unfortuently i don't have my actual TP bill handy but my facet block bill is sitting here which actually is much more invasive and in depth therepy since they actually inject right into the facets themselves,and i really am shocked at what you were charged.my facet block bill came to around only 1500.00(give ir take a few hundred.its itemized with other stuff so i am just adding in my head here),and this was injecting about twelve seperate facets along with the use of fluroscopy.TPs just realistically shouldn't be THAT much,really.it is a matter of injecting the TPs with i think it is maricaine and alcohol?i usually get around from ten to twenty areas done when i have mine done since i have problems on both sides of my c spine starting from the base of skull on down thru/under the shoulder blade areas.i KNOW my TP bill has never been THAT high.but this is at my PM.alot(the overall price charged)depends on where you had these done,whether you were an established patient,and who did them.i am sure this charge includes alot more than just the TPs themselves.is it itemized?you can get one from the place where you had these done just to see what got charged and for how much.you do have the right to know where your ins co money is going and for what.that just really sounds high to me.if this was an emergent situation it could have been charged that way,thus the higher cost?just obtain that itemized bill and see whats up.that just really seems too high in my opinion,but it could be my PM is set up differently?but you should look into it anyways just to see.i hope they worked for you.Marcia

Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
    artyst
    (female)

artyst HB User

thank you feelbad. i will get the itemized bill and look into this.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: I just had that done in my lumbar area and it was $750.00 for one shot. I don't know if that helps any since all drs charge different prices, and usually it depends on what type of insurance you have and what they expect the insurance to pay. If you have an insurance that pays more than some others they may charge more, or at least that's what I heard. Of course that "isn't" what the insurance paid!!! The insurance paid 1/2 of that.

Good luck...

Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
    artyst
    (female)

artyst HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
    Hi: I just had that done in my lumbar area and it was $750.00 for one shot. I don't know if that helps any since all drs charge different prices, and usually it depends on what type of insurance you have and what they expect the insurance to pay. If you have an insurance that pays more than some others they may charge more, or at least that's what I heard. Of course that "isn't" what the insurance paid!!! The insurance paid 1/2 of that.

Good luck...
    ouch! that is a lot too!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

4k Is absurd, but the good thing about HMOs, is the doc can ask for anything he wants, but has an agreement to except a predertimined fee and he can't ask you to pay the diference. I was seeing an out of netwrok doc in 2000 and was always fighting to get her pre aproved, but after paying for a couple rounds of TP's myself I was motivated to find an in netweok doc. She had been charging me 60 dollars per injection site but gave me 10% off if I paid for the entire viit at the time of service..
    I guess not getting paid what you request creates a huge tax write off because I would be surprised if your insurance pays for more than 20 bucks a pop. It's a 50 cent needle and has a buck worth of meds tops in it, even getting paid $20 per injection site sounds like a pretty healthy profit margin. Come to think of it, my wifes botox injections which usualy takes about 15 different injetion sights, two full syringes and an 800 dollar bottle of myoblock that she has to pay 100 bucks for creates a 1200 dollar bill but he knows he's not going to get it all.

It sounds like your doc is goiong for 0 Tax liability with huge wite offs for uncovered expenses with the insurance co's. Poor guys, how can you make a living if you can't jack the cost of a IM lidocaine injection up 4000%
    Those 60 dollar TP njections were in 99, so lets allow for inflation to double the cost in 8 years and your still looking at 120 bucks a pop, how many different injections sights and empty syringes amount to 4k? The price of my wifes botox, which actually has a much higher degree of liability and risk as far as doing compensable damages is still cheaper than what your doc charges. Does that come with a happy ending like a red light massage

I guess if you can't take advantage of somone in pain willing to try anything for relief, who can you take advantage of. I thought I would never say it,but thank god for HMO's and negotiated fees.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-05-2007 at 05:36 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
    trowftd3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

trowftd3 HB User

I just had an intercostal block that was $2700. I only have to pay $160 after insurance. A couple of years ago I had multiple trigger point injections, magnet therapy, some kind of electric stimulation etc...total of about 8 visits and the doc only charged me $800. But he was an underling and now I see the head of the department so he can charge more!LOL

Good luck~Mush

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
    artyst
    (female)

artyst HB User

thank you to everyone for your input! i will definitely request an itemized statement. but then what?? how do i question the charges??
    should i look for another pain doctor and request a fee list from them??

Last edited by artyst; 08-09-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Artist, Do you have insurance,If you don't I would definitely try to negotiate and remind him he negotiates with every insurance company he deals with. If you do, what type do you have. If it's 80/20 the way medicare is, it's still 20% of the negotiated fee. Docs only get what they ask for from cash customers and it seems terible to take advantage of someone desperate for relief.

I've seen docs that believe in dry needle TP's, the action of the nedle itself breaks up the TP and use no meds, I wonder what he would charge just for the pin coushin treatment. He is way overcharging there is a billing code for everything and the level of experience really doesn't change the billing code, the only difference is the amount of time they spend and what code they submit. There is a difference in an extended visit Vs a shorter one. but insurance companies don't recognize any difference in billing code based on the level of experience or reputation of a providor, the billing code for an office visit is the same, the only way it would differ is if the "name brand doc" may spends more time and bills as an extended type visit, consult or eval. But I pay the same if I see a NP for a med check or teh director of the clinic. the billng code is the same.

Definitely look for a doc that will negotiate or takes your insurance because no round of TP's is worth that kind of money.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I just had my first round of trigger point injections and I can't believe what your doc charged. My pain doc is out of network and I have to pay up front for all visits before he even sees me. I pay $85.00 for the visit. While I was at my last visit he mentioned at my next visit we would try the trigger point injections. I begged him to do them then as I was in so much pain and he agreed. I hadn't even asked how much they were as I was in so much pain. I came to my senses and asked the nurse and she said he charges $80 for the 1st, $40 for the 2nd, and $20 for any shot thereafter. All my shots from here on out will be $20.

I can't believe what your doc is doing? I am sorry about all this. I hope you can get this all worked out.

Good luck and God Bless

Closed Thread