It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• constipation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
    candie7
    (female)

candie7 HB User
    constipation

Hi I'm new here and hope I'm posting correctly. As we all are pain mgt patients I''m wondering if anyone has suffered from the constipation that is a side effect. Does anyone know of a good treatment for it?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User
    Re: constipation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by candie7 View Post
    Hi I'm new here and hope I'm posting correctly. As we all are pain mgt patients I''m wondering if anyone has suffered from the constipation that is a side effect. Does anyone know of a good treatment for it?
    Thanks
    I have seen this discussed here before and the answer is yes--quite a few of us have the problem--In fact, on this board, I learned of a product called Miralax--it is over the counter powder that you mix with water and drink--works great for me, although sometimes I also take a little milk of magnesia. Before I started taking opiate pain medication, I had never had a problem--First started on percocet and after 2 days of intense constipation, I finally used a Fleet enema and in fact still do sometimes--I believe that many of us on higher doses of opiates have this problem. The medicine apparently slows down your natural colon movement--I also know that you should not try to push too hard as I know of a man that actually ripped his anus and had to have surgically repaired--very serious--so, I try to stay on top of it and now drink a glass of purified water mixed with Miralax every night before bed--I know it is an embarrassing subject, so I will only discuss this on this board or with my dr. Hope that I helped--Good luck

Whitfield

Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi,

I use a glycerine suppository every few days. They are inexpensive and readily avaliable.

I have never tried the miralax, but have heard it works great.

HTH, Fabby

Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

OMG yes... I have gone so far a to but the green bottle of stuff that you use befodre a colonoscopy. I know it is a hard subject to talk about. I agree with not straining too hard. this is kinda weird, but my dad passed on the toilet after being constipated. Ok..he did have a bad heart, and I think that had somethiing to do with it. I spoke with my primary and he said that that it isn't unusual that it often happens with heart patients. this was several years ago. Just a thought
    Mary

Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Try fiberone bars in the granola section of the grocery store. They are very tasty and low in fat. One a day does the job.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

The key is to reall stay on top of it. If you stop taking meds that counter the effects of opiates stopping the normal contractions of your bowels, you can impact and nd up n roufgh shape. It's just a matter of hat works best for you.

The xprep "phosphus soda" is a harsh way to get things moving and can dehydrate you and not break up dried old waste you have to be carefu with that one.
    It's realy a combination of extra hydration Osmotics that draw fluuid to the bowels along with extra fluid intake, fiber, and stimulant are the three ingredients to being normal. Dealing with all 3 isues is important and should be done daily at a levvel that dioesn't leave you cramped or dehydrated. I rotate several meds so that something doesn't become innefective. A cheap way to save money is to oat the actice ingredient of the name brand pills and then buy a large bottle very cheap from the health food store. 20 name brand sennakot can cost up to 20 bucks a package, but senna tea and other products do the exact same thing and cost pennies at a health food store. Cascara segradsa is another very cheap erb that's the main ingredient in many epenseive colon cleans formuals you see on TV. There are also hospice recipes that I can give you if the easier stuff like a cheap visit to the health food store doesn't work.

You ned to fidnd the right combi you can tolerate and you can use daily wityhout discomfort. Even excercise helps get things moving. I thinks those dealing with it healthy and succesfully use a combination of several things and make changes in diet and fluid intake. There is no easy answer for every one. Miralax is good, but it doesn't cause the contractions higher dose patients need. A 20 cent cup of senna tea wil solve that though. You can also use senna tea in bases of other drinks and use it regulalry. Again the key is to find a comfotable dose. too much of any of these things can be a bad thing.

Good luck, Dave

Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Great information from Shoreline--I had forgotten to mention the tea--sold at my local Health Food store and I also use--it is called "Smooth Move" and it works great--manufactured by a company called "Traditional Medicinals" and very inexpensive--Whitfield

Last edited by whitfield; 08-11-2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User

For me...plenty of water during the day and activia yogurt. Also take seperate probiotic formula and eat a lot of fruit. Once a week it's some milk of magnesia and occasionaly I will snack on the metamucil wafers(not bad in cinnamon) Best of luck...it is an uncomfortable as well as unhealthy situation. Unfortunately, the meds have this effect. Hope this helps. Sharonn

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Not sure if you are able to walk much, for me it is the one exersize I can do, and I walk a mile in the morning, along with a cup of coffee when I get back.

I notice if I miss my walk, and/or my coffee, I have bathroom issues almost right away. Sometimes it helps you be able to take the least amount of laxitives if you add a little walking and coffee.

HTH, Fabby

Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
    Donorpanc
    (male)

Donorpanc HB User

Miralax is great stuff, however since they've made it available to everyone, what once cost $8.00 is now over $25 for half the amount of product!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
    candie7
    (female)

candie7 HB User

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! Looks like I need a trip to the local health food store. Exlax doesn't even work now. When I was hospitalized they gave me the green bottle of mag. citrate..omg it was awful but it worked for hours!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I've had been using Miralax for about a year now, due to a med change I no longer need it. But during the most difficult times all other methods failed for me as I also suffer from IBS and Colitis, high levels of morphine made it impossible to move bowels regardless of high fiber and water intake and various otc and prescription medications.

Fortunately for me my insurance company still pays for the generic version and several still are. I would check with your insurance company for those who find they no longer pay for the brand name, it is quite possible that the generic will still be available to you.

What i found great about Miralax was I had no ill side effects such as gas, pressure or pain.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I take a stool softener nightly, the generic brand of Colace that you can find at Wal-Mart. When that doesn't work, the best thing I have found is MIRALAX! I have tried everything, and this stuff is a God send. It has no taste and even worked after my bowels "went to sleep" after my surgery. Great stuff!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
    chiapatchie
    (female)

chiapatchie HB User
    Thumbs up Re: constipation

GOD BLESS YOU FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION! YOU ARE AN !!!!

While this IS A "STICKY" SUBJECT , I, for one, can't begin to tell you what my IMAGINAION (not to mention the OPIATE MEDS and MUSCLE RELAXERS) has put me thru in the last two years...even the danged VA hospital pharmacy and my primary care DOC have TOTALLY FAILED to get this health problem under control for me!!

I've suffered with IBS and COLITIS as far back as I can count with my fingers...AND TOES!!...without a solution to this gawd awful affliction!! Toss in OPIATES for pain control and the MRs, and, the result has been my actually getting TOXIC followed with ER visits out the kazoo not having a clue as to what continually caused me to get just deathly SICK!!!

I BELIEVE CONSTIPATION IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT TOPIC FOR ALL OF US THAT IT TRULY MERITS A SPOT ON THE "MARQUEE STICKY NOTES" AT THE TOPIC ALONG WITH THE RULES!!!

"PLEASE...I need help!!" >>> >>>

Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiapatchie View Post
    GOD BLESS YOU FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION! YOU ARE AN !!!!

While this IS A "STICKY" SUBJECT , I, for one, can't begin to tell you what my IMAGINAION (not to mention the OPIATE MEDS and MUSCLE RELAXERS) has put me thru in the last two years...even the danged VA hospital pharmacy and my primary care DOC have TOTALLY FAILED to get this health problem under control for me!!

I've suffered with IBS and COLITIS as far back as I can count with my fingers...AND TOES!!...without a solution to this gawd awful affliction!! Toss in OPIATES for pain control and the MRs, and, the result has been my actually getting TOXIC followed with ER visits out the kazoo not having a clue as to what continually caused me to get just deathly SICK!!!

I BELIEVE CONSTIPATION IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT TOPIC FOR ALL OF US THAT IT TRULY MERITS A SPOT ON THE "MARQUEE STICKY NOTES" AT THE TOPIC ALONG WITH THE RULES!!!

"PLEASE...I need help!!" >>> >>>
    Don't know if my vote is worth much but I agree--The suject should be a "sticky"--Although I have read about the issue on at least 3 times on this board--In fact that is how I learned about the Miralax--Even knew about and had used the day prior to hip-replacement surgery so I would be empty--The Opiate IV morphine they use for most major post-ops---will still cause patients to become constipated--had 2 different nurses tell me same thing--standard procedure is colace but most people don't have a bowel movement for 4-5 days then if needed often just an enema (they are cheap and effective--but a last resort that has always worked--for me at least)--I also wanted to mention that canned fruit and natural fruit--also dates, prunes--more natural stuff--I really try to do that but still often need help from commercial products--in fact daily at least Miralax or Senna Tea--lots of water is the most basic I tend to forget--Hope any of that helps somebody--Whitfield

Closed Thread