It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Doctor On Vacation/partner Won't Refill Rx

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
    Doctor On Vacation/partner Won't Refill Rx

Hello all. I have a problem and don't know what I can do. Last week I was on vacation so didn't call to get my pain meds refilled (would have been too early anyway) So now that I'm back and it is time my doc is away and the covering doctor won't write the prescription. I take these meds everyday for a chronic condition and just stopping is dangerous. What can I do?
    How can he do this knowing it's dangerous?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User
    Re: Doctor On Vacation/partner Won't Refill Rx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdel View Post
    Hello all. I have a problem and don't know what I can do. Last week I was on vacation so didn't call to get my pain meds refilled (would have been too early anyway) So now that I'm back and it is time my doc is away and the covering doctor won't write the prescription. I take these meds everyday for a chronic condition and just stopping is dangerous. What can I do?
    How can he do this knowing it's dangerous?

What medications are you on? Do you have a pain contract with your doctor? and do you have an email address you can reach him at? I was able to email my doctor while he was on vacation and he responded very quickly and got my problems taken care of. it really depends on what medication you are on and if you can get the covering doctor to call him or get in contact with him some way. Sometimes a simple call to your doctors office to confirm you are indeed on those meds will be enough. He is covering for your doctor and I am sure your doctor does not want to come back and find that he was not taking care of his clients to the best of his ability. Just offer all the proof you can to him and explain that you cant just quit cold turkey from the meds you are on. if he still wont write the meds for you ask him if there is something he CAN write that will get you through the time until you can see your doctor again. hope this helps!!

Wvrecon432

Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi and thanks for responding. I am on lorcet (hydrocodone) and xanex (I have enough of the xanex). I didn't even ask him to refill it because it happened once before and not only would he not write it,he wouldn't even talk to me. That time though I had enough left (just barely) and was lucky that my regular doc wrote it as soon as he got back. I have no written contract, just a verbal understanding with my doctor. He trusts me and I don't want to jeapordize that.
    The last time he kept saying he would do it tomorrow then tomorrow would come and he would say tomorrow again and I would have to keep calling to see if he did it. This happened for 3 days and then I stopped calling because to me it seemed like he was playing games and/or trying to make me feel like an addict. I don't abuse my meds. He has only to look at my chart to see that. I was going to try to cut out one pill a day till he gets back. If I can do that I'll have enough. (Just enough) and only if he does it as soon as he gets in but have no idea if this is safe.

Last edited by kdel; 08-14-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

cutting out one pill a day is pretty safe. i have done this before when i was on vacatino and the pain went up some but i dodnt have any withdrawl symptoms to bad because I still had the med going into my system. I am not a doctor so I cant REALLY tell you if it is safe or not but in my experience it was just fine. You have to do what you have to do sometimes. If he will not write the RX for you then I would have a long talk about him with your doctor when he gets back and tell him next time he needs to make the other doctor do it or go ahead and refill your meds for you before he leaves. He can go ahead and write a RX for you even it is early but date it for when the refill is due so you cant fill it until then anyway. Ask him if that is an option for you when he goes away for awhile. if not I would call the doctors office back again. eventually he will get tired of you calling 2 times a day and write the RX so you will be gone out of his hair. He said he would write it so he doent think you are abusing it or he would have flat out said NO. You just have to keep on doctors sometimes because they tend to forget. Just give him a call right away and you might have it already.

Wvrecon42

Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Ok well he's not going to do it so I guess I'm in for a rough week or so. I am now panicking and tense which does not help either.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
    Re:update Doctor On Vacation/partner Won't Refill Rx/Update

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I cut back by one yesterday and was ok except for some increased pain and also heart palpitations. I can't really say if the heart thing has anything to do with it because I get them anyway and take xanax for anxiety. Wierd thing is I took a little more xanax than usual-just an extra .25 in the afternoon. Usually I just take it in the morning and at night and only take half of what is prescribed. Anyway the heart palpitations started AFTER the afternoon xanax. I am in alot of pain today though and it's only 9am. Not so unusual really especially since I'm in a terrible flair so this is the worst time for this to happen. I also have prescription stregnth folic acid. Does anyone know if this would help with energy?

I have now cut down again by another half pill and not feeling very well. I probobly don't have to but now am curious to see if I can. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of what I would feel to give me a heads up on when I may be treading into danger zone? I just spent an hour and a half transforming a ridiculously hard transformer for my son who is 5 but I did do it so how bad can I be? And just for the record my husband couldn't do it at all.

Last edited by kdel; 08-16-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Bumping Up. Anyone?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

I would go to the E.R Bring in your empty bottle[s] The pain contract thing,yeh,I have one too, Remember,your doc. fill in should re-fill your script,maybe not for a month,but at least until the doc. gets back!! Call the office,ask to talk to the nurse,and let her know your in pain,and ask-I know I signed a contract,but under the current circumstances,I'm asking you for permmission to go to the E.R,or ask the nurse,simply,WHAT A'M I SUPPOSE TO DO?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I totally agree with MadHatter. If you have a contract, you didnt break it, the doctor did when he took off and left no one who was willing to re-fill your meds, at least until he gets back.

His partner sounds like s jerk, I would go to the ER, because HE broke the contract, not you.

HTH,Fabby

Old 08-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi everyone, I do not have any written contract with my doctor. I just never tried to get any meds anywhere else and even when I had to have oral surgery I called and aske him what I should do- Take the meds from the dentist or not? He told me to go ahead and take them whatever I was given just not both. This happened with shoulder surgery as well. Whenever there is a chance that someone else will prescribe something I always check with him first. I reallly do not want to go to the ER unless I absolutley have to. My doc refills every 25 days and his partner isn't even willing to do it in 30.
    I am more than a little ****** because the least he could of done is got on the phone and offered either some advice on how to safely cut down or offered something to help. He did nothing and I just don't see how this is even ethical.
    Now does anyone know when symptoms should be considered dangerous? I've already got increased pain of course but also headaches and some stomache issues. Thanks. Also howcome I can go all night long (it's been 14 hours now since I took anything) and be ok but can't do that during the day? By ok I mean I am in alot of pain but functioning. I am going to take my medication now though before the pain increases anymore.

Last edited by kdel; 08-17-2007 at 05:07 AM.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi KDEL, There really isn't a danger zone with opiates, People come off morphine, Heroin and fentanyl cold turkey or very rapidly taking much higher doses and don't die and don't need medical intervention to prevent them from dieing. It's not that it isn't miserable, but discontinuing opiates cold turkey would only put your life at risk if you had major pre-existing heart problems that couldn't tolerate the BP and pulse chages. If your heart was that bad, riding a bke or climbing stairs would be just as risky. You wil feel crappy for a week to 10 days but then it starts to get better. The more distracted you are, the faster time passes.

Just FYI, The Xanax is something that you can't quit cold turkey, you could have a seizure, swallow your tounge and die. There really is a risk to your life by quitting benzo's cold turkey. But I have yet to read or hear about discontinuing opiates cold turkey actually putting your life in danger and I've been doing the PM thing for 14 years. I went through withdrawal a few times when meds were discontinued after surgery so I kniow those first 10 days really suck but will get better.

I was actually sent into withdrawal the morning after I had a heart atack in the CICU when given a mixed opiate agonist/antagonist called Nubain. I Had the MI at midnight and a cardicac cath with stents at 3am. I had told them I was a CP patient and they knew my med history and I brought all meds with me on the ambulance. My meds hadn't made it to the CICU from the ER when I woke at 6:30 and I asked for something for pain. I figured they would give me my own meds or just more IV morphine as they did during the heart attack.

However this cardiologist has a standing order for Nubain for his cath patients . Nubain is a opain killer but it's a mixed opiate agonist/antagonist and within 5 minutes I was screaming what the heck did you give me, Within 10 they were calling my PM doc to see what they could do to counter the blocking and purging effect of nubain on an opiate dependent patient. I was taking 600 mgs of Lonmg acting morphine a day and they purged my system in 5 minutes. :yikes: It pretty much became a blur after that and they ended up sedating me. Opiates can't bind to a receptor that's been blocked so giving me more opiates wouldn't help, you just have to wait for the antagonist to wear off.

My wife said I suggested they were trying to kill me sending me into instant full blown withdrawal 7 hours after a heart atack and 4 hours after the cath, but I'm still here. Didn't die although from what I was told I wasn't the nicest person to be around untill they had me sedated.

I'm not trying to minimize what you feel but people really don't die from opiate withdrawal. The Xanax will actually help as far as the jitters,anxiety and BP, just don't put yourself in the position of running out of Xanax early. If you were out of Xanax, I would say go to the ER before you have a seizure. As far as opiates, stay occupied with the transformers or anything that distracts you and allows the time to pass untill you start feeling beter or the doc gets back.

Aside from the fatigue and physical symptoms, there is also a large psych componenet where you can become very depressed. Don't make any decsions you can't change during that time. But you will be OK and survive, It will cure any constippation problems and give yourself a chance to gage just how bad you need these meds and is living the rest of your life as a patient at the whim of a doc your only option.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-17-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Wow that was alot of info, thanks and sorry to hear of your ordeal, it sounds awful! I'm feeling real tired right now. I don't understand because I had to take another dose not long ago and usually don't feel anything except relief from the pain but now I'm nauseous and tired. What happened? It's like the side effects from the first time I took it! I'm gonna try to rest now. Thank you again.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

WOW Shoreline........I know exactly what you went through. My brother was in for a holiday one time and he is taking a drug called Rivia(naltrexlone) for opiate addiction spelled wrong prob.. It basically it blocks the opiate receptors like shoreline said and renders opiates useless so if you slip-up you wont get the "high" your seeking. If you are opiate dependent like I am(not addicted, totally different) then it throws you into immediate and violent withdrawl. But he left them here and I went to take a BT med(percocet) and they were beside each other and I took this medication by mistake! I am on Oxycontin and have been for awile now and it sent me into instant withdrawls witihin 1 hour......I tell you it was the worst thing I have ever went through in my life....i really thought I was going to die that night. I went to the ER and the gave me some ativan and it calmed me down a little but didnt help that much. I wasnt able to be sedated like shoreline though and had to ride it out for about 24 hours until it wore off. I also take 2.5mg of xanax 3 times a day so I went home a took one of the xanax bars and I finally went to sleep. Very bad thing to go through! VERY BAD!

I have heard of ppl coming off of opiates cold turkey as well but I know in detox centers they usually use Ativan for withdrawl if they dont use another opiate like methadone or suboxone. Ativan will help with tremors and ease the withdrawl symptoms alot! it calms you down when you are freaking out because you dont have your pain pill to take. It wont help you with pain but it will ease the withdrawl symptoms. Xanax is almost the same thing as ativan except it is al little stronger. I wouldnt suggest upping the dose of xanax without approval of your doctor first. Like shoreline said that is something you dont want to run out of. I have stopped a benzo(xanax) before and it was not fun. I didnt have a seizure or anything but it was a week of pure hell! I finally had to go back to my doc and say I wanted to taper off of it instead. I eventually went back on them because it helps with the anxiety that comes along with pain. Anyway I really hope you bring this up with your doctor when he returns and make sure your meds are filled BEFORE he leaves or do like I said and have him write the RX post-dated for when they need to be filled if he isnt going to be there. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by whosit; 08-17-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Ok you are scaring me now! I haven't upped the dose of my xanax. What I meant was this- It is prescribed for me to take 1 - 0.5 pill 4 times a day however I usually only take 1 1/2- 2 pills per day and now that I've been forced to lower my dose of pain meds I take 2 1/2 pills per day. So I am still below what is prescribed. I do not want to continue with this amount of xanax though so hoping I can drop back to only 1 1/2 again without having a problem with that too. Geez, I sound like a mess and probobly a big baby after what you guys have been through. I am sorry for what happened to you guys and hope you are doing well now.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdel View Post
    Ok you are scaring me now! I haven't upped the dose of my xanax. What I meant was this- It is prescribed for me to take 1 - 0.5 pill 4 times a day however I usually only take 1 1/2- 2 pills per day and now that I've been forced to lower my dose of pain meds I take 2 1/2 pills per day. So I am still below what is prescribed. I do not want to continue with this amount of xanax though so hoping I can drop back to only 1 1/2 again without having a problem with that too. Geez, I sound like a mess and probobly a big baby after what you guys have been through. I am sorry for what happened to you guys and hope you are doing well now.

I am doing fine now....no problems. I know now to look at every med before I take it though! I dont let anyone know I am on Oxycontin as well anymore. Everyone thinks I came off of it because like I said i have a few problem ppl in my family that I wouldnt trust knowing I am on it. if you are prescribed to take that many than there is no problem to go up a few if you need to. Just count them and see how many you can take a day until he gets back and leave a cpl of extra days in case something happens and you will be fine if you dont go over what he prescribed or what your supply limits you to. but a little more each day should whelp alot with withdrawl symptoms.

Wvrecon432

Closed Thread