It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Personal experience w/Neurontin vs Lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Personal experience w/Neurontin vs Lyrica

I hopped on Queenneeee's thread about Lyrica vs Neurontin, but a question was asked for me, so I started this thread so I wouldn't be barging in on Q's..

I recently started the Lyrica, and I am not impressed at all with it, but again, I am still just starting out and am on a low dose that will be titrated up. I have to say for the record that I was extremely happy with the Neurontin. Was taking a total of 1500mgs daily and it helped so much with the nerve pain I have.

I started at a low dose with the Neurontin and had some drowsiness and foggy brain problems for about a week or so, but that subsided rather quickly, and we were able to titrate my dose quickly too with little problem. I started seeing results from the Neurontin within a couple weeks, and was so thankful for that.

I've been on the Lyrica now since July 16th and they have already dropped the dose back some to try and help me through the "adjustment" phase. They started me at the 50 mgs, and had me take 2 of them at night, and then wanted me to add a morning dose and mid day dose to that, but I never made it past the nighttime dosing before they had to drop me. My PM doctor just dropped me on the 8th of this month to the 25mg dose and asked me to take 2 in the morning and 2 at bed. So far, I am still getting the side effects and my nerve pain is increasing, but since I'm on the lower dose, I guess this is to be expected.

I am exteremely sleepy and foggy brained, I have this constant ringing in my ears STILL, and I can't remember a dag-on thing to save my life! I will be in the middle of a sentence and forget totally what I was saying, and two days ago, I went to call my mom and I could not, for the life of me remember her phone number! I mean, this is my parents phone number-I've only called it a MILLION times???!!!??

I don't know if I can technically count the ringing in my ears as a bad effect because I've had tinitus as long as I can remember, but I've never had it last for over a month straight without it going away for one minute, so maybe I can count it as a bad side effect?

I loved the Neurontin, but I don't think it's wise to tell my PM doctor "No" when he asks me to try something new, so I agreed to give it a try. I'm thinking I'd rather go back to the Neurontin.

Oh- another draw back for me is the cost. I paid $10.00 for the Neurontin, and when I picked up my last scrip of Lyrica??? It was $80.00 and that is with insurance!!

These are just my experiences so far. I'd love to hear from others, please chime in here guys.

Last edited by ozzybug; 08-21-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Personal experience w/Neurontin vs Lyrica

ozzy, Queeneee & were both very curious so decided to do that thread, I started on Lryica a few weeks back & was getting alittle relief(but also on other meds, so not sure if it was the Lyrica alone) I had the same side effects as you are speaking of, it was weird because like you I could not remember things, I mean things that I had just said or done, & would repeat myself or ask the same question or forget what I was doing (like what was I going in the other room for etc..) & I would get drowsy all of a sudden, I started writing every little thing down,sticky notes & erase boards around the house. Then Surgeon I went to see last Friday took me off some of the meds including Lryica, I was still at 50mg @ night, Pain started to increase daily so I just started back on Lryica last night, I talk to the Docs, office (my primary, they started me on the Lryica) & I asked the differance between neurotin & lryica,all they said was they felt Lryica had less side effects (I will also ask the pharmacist) I told them due to the side effects I wanted to increase slowly, in 25mg increments, so I will start over with the 50 @night if still suffering side effects I will try the 25mg, hopefully if was the Lyrica helping with this pain, I cannot go to long with those side effects so if it last to long I will ask to be switched, how long did you have side effects with neurotin, you may have said already. Lets keep up on this & see what happens, I am curious to know how others are doing & compare the two in case I am in need of switching. Thanks for the info, I will let queneee know what my docs office said. May I ask what kind of pain you are taking for? Also (I hope you don't mind me butting in alittle) I would not stay to long on something when your pain is increasing, due to the fact you were on something that worked better, I do at times wonder about the pharmacutical companies & the doctors, always pushing new drugs, I have experianced this several times, I also trained in a medical facility & watched the drug reps. with the doctors, you cannot help but wonder. Besides you are giving Lryica a good try, & your doctor works for you & should not risk you suffering to long. Hope I am not out of line . Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-21-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Sammy-
    You are not out of line at all...

The side effects from the Neurontin started going away after about a week. This was a good thing!

As for the Lyrica- I do feel like I'm giving it a fair chance like you said, because I've been on it since July 16, and was even ok with them dropping the dose on the 8th of this month and trying again, instead of just giving up on it.

I am HOPING that if by the time I see my PM next (mid September) the Lyrica is still a problem, that he will be ok with me switching back to the Neurontin. I have always felt that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", BUT when my Pm doctor said he wanted me to give the Lyrica a try, I just felt that I had to give it a go. He has always been good about listening to my concerns and even takes them into consideration, so I feel it's only right for me to be compliant when he suggests something new.

As far as my pain issues go, I have saphenous neuropathy (right leg) which stemmed from a softball injury quite a few years ago. The injury led to a surgery on my right knee. Major problems from the anchors used to repair the torn cartiledge in my knee coming loose and being allowed to float around in my knee joint for a month then led to another 6 surgeries within the next year & a half, so that's 7 knee surgeries in 2 years- each being more involved than the one before it. (My knee looks like Frankenstein I must say). I STILL, to this day have absolutely NO quad muscle in my right leg, and only a small amount of calf muscle and it's been many years since the last surgery.

I have suffered with IBS since youth, have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by my current PM doctor and also have developed major back issues since the knee mess started up. Also, I have hyperlax joints & hypermobility syndrome that have been diagnosed in the last 2 years. RSD (right leg) has been brought up, but the bone scans were "inconclusive", so I consider myself as NOT having RSD. (optimism baby )

I think that about covers it. I can't list all the rounds of intensive PT I've been through because I've lost count, and all the steroid injections, bio feedbacks, accupuncture, trigger point injections, etc because that would make this post a true novel. It's been a long road, but fortunately, I'm able to at least function day to day for the most part with the help of my PM doctor.

I do hope others will chime in as well, because I am very interested in knowing how people are doing on the Lyrica, especially those who have tried Neurontin in the past.

Last edited by ozzybug; 08-21-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

I tried Lyrica but didn't do me any good, I personally prefer Neurontin over Lyrica anyday. Also it is so much cheaper.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks Ozzy,wow you have been thru the ringer, I have been in pain for acouple years in & out of ERs, docs & so on....this time around the pain came in may & is been here everyday since, still looking for diagnosis, whole left side, mimics cardiac, so we assume the thoracic area is involved scans & so on show issues but not for this kind of pain, so still looking, the latest is possable auto immune disease involved. Rehab. doc in sept, possably pain management doc.(which will be soon if this pain does not calm down) & perhaps rhuematologist..Yey, I am so excited! (ha) all kind of pain, tingling,swelling, numbness & hotspots in feet, my daughter was kind enough to point out today (she is 14) that my left foot was a different color, sure enough it was swelling. I am a mystery the docs. like to say, they can see things & know there is something but cant figure it out. I would just like to be ordanary, I hope the Lryica works for you & for me, on enough other pain meds. so don't know what else would work. sounds like you have a good doc , that can be hard to find. (sorry got off topic alittle.venting alot today) Keep in touch & good luck Sammy

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
    almr
    (female)

almr HB User

Hi, my name is almr. I take Lyrica only 300mg. not much compared too, I used to take neurontin 2700 mg.. I have dealt with enough meds and side effects that I would rather deal with a little more pain than the meds. I have had r.s.d. for about 21 yrs. now, my left leg and now left arm. My right leg mimics my left leg. I also have neuropothy. It's been hard but I have been very blessed. In the beginning the drs were surprised I wasn't in a wheelchair because my bone (leg) had already softened up. I am on a syncromed pump with fentynol, and I take 3 other meds. I am like everyone else I try really hard not taking them. Honestly I am not impressed with Lyrica but I was on so much neurontin and had bad side effects so I took the plunge and switched. If it weren't for the side effects I'd go back. I also have to deal with seizures. I like being aware of things and some of these meds do not give you that option. I do excercise that dose help for the pain. I keep as active as I can sometimes to active I think. I am worn out and stay very tired. You take care and may you be blessed.

Closed Thread