It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Vicodin vs. Vicuprofin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
    rtd2112
    (male)

rtd2112 HB User
    Vicodin vs. Vicuprofin

In doing research on various pain management options, it seems to me that vicuprofin is the forgotten drug, or maybe just not known yet. It seems at least 95% of the time Vicodin is prescribed, but with the growing concerns about tylenol and vicuprofin only 200mg of ibuprofin/7.5 Hydrocodone (one advil), it seems to be a lot less dangerous with no real danger to the organs etc as you can take up to 800mg of ibuprofin in one sitting. Any reason vicuprofin is so uncommon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Vicodin vs. Vicuprofin

Probably because you could always just take a couple Ibuphrofen along with a vicodin. The low mix of IBU does allow for higher dosing, but I have yet to see a dic take advantage of that and say take 4 every 4-6 hours. There is a new one with oxy and IBU called Combunox, but I doubt it will be the success that percocet is. I think the fact so much can be taken has made it unpopular with docs and popular among the abuse community. It's a shame we pay for others actions, but if people abuse it, there will be a repercusion.

Good luck, Dave

Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
    rtd2112
    (male)

rtd2112 HB User

good point. it's a shame that they cant prescribe something so much healthier for fear of abusers

Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

I switch back and forth from Norco and vicoprofen. I like the vicoprofen and as stated above it only has 200mgs of ibuprofen so it is pretty darn safe. I tend to get upset stomach pretty easily so I do have a hard time tolerating it. My wonder drug for pain was my soma/aspirin/codeine. That was my favorite, but it tore up my stomach after a few months.

I have found since being in pain management that when I ask for vicoprofen the typical response I get is "oh yeah, I never think of that one."............it is a great drug.

Being that the hydro is a safe drug with virtually no ceiling dose it is great for a horrible pain day cause you can take 3 vicoprofens at once and not go over any safety limits.

Best wishes,Karen

Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I was on vicoprofin, and then went to compounded HYDRO and when i need it I take some ibu with it... Compound hyro is PURE hydro, and they can make it ANY stregth, and even LA, {long acting}
    Compounding pharmacies are SO easy to find, and if you are worried anout the effects of tylenol, or Ibu, or anything, check it out. PLUS? Its a TON cheaper. At least for me. i live in the sticks, and there is a compounding pharmacy within 5 hours from me and they ship next day for $8.98. My state has the same rates for next day UPS if you are within THAT state.
    I was a slave to the local pharmacies, and their crap until I found out about compounding. Its been my lifesaver, 100000%.
    I hope others can benefit, I just went to a search engine and found the closest one to me, and the doc writes the script the same way as ANY pharmacy~ Just a thought! Its made my life TONS better!
    xoxoxoxoxoox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I was on vicoprofin, and then went to compounded HYDRO and when i need it I take some ibu with it... Compound hyro is PURE hydro, and they can make it ANY stregth, and even LA, {long acting}
    Compounding pharmacies are SO easy to find, and if you are worried anout the effects of tylenol, or Ibu, or anything, check it out. PLUS? Its a TON cheaper. At least for me. i live in the sticks, and there is a compounding pharmacy within 5 hours from me and they ship next day for $8.98. My state has the same rates for next day UPS if you are within THAT state.
    I was a slave to the local pharmacies, and their crap until I found out about compounding. Its been my lifesaver, 100000%.
    I hope others can benefit, I just went to a search engine and found the closest one to me, and the doc writes the script the same way as ANY pharmacy~ Just a thought! Its made my life TONS better!
    xoxoxoxoxoox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
    ~briza~
    (female)

~briza~ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
    Probably because you could always just take a couple Ibuphrofen along with a vicodin. The low mix of IBU does allow for higher dosing, but I have yet to see a dic take advantage of that and say take 4 every 4-6 hours. There is a new one with oxy and IBU called Combunox, but I doubt it will be the success that percocet is. I think the fact so much can be taken has made it unpopular with docs and popular among the abuse community. It's a shame we pay for others actions, but if people abuse it, there will be a repercusion.

Good luck, Dave
    Hi Dave, I have read around here that you are the one to ask for good advice....Tylenol 3 works great for my mild-mod chronic pain, but I worry often about the aceteminophen, because I have an uncureable condition that will probably not be cured in my lifetime, and taking tyelnol over many years worries me, though I do also have dilaudid 4mg that I take sparingly and as needed for severe pain and lenghthier than usual pain flares to avoid the acetaminophen, as recommended by my pain dr.

Vicodin (Lortab 7.5) doesn't work for me at all, and only makes me emotional.

Was wondering if just plain codeine is ever prescribed and if it has toxicity levels. One of the posts in this thread said that plain hydro doesn't have toxicity levels and was wondering if the same is true of codeine. Yes, I know I should talk to my pain dr and/or my very good pharmacist, I'm just too tired right now. THanks for anyone who responds.

I don't plan to change my regimen, it works well, just wondering about the plain codeine and if it has toxicity limits. I know I could also do a web search but also too tired to do that. TIA for any info.

PS. Those who have my condition (Interstitial Cystitis, aka bladder pain syndrome) often don't take ibuprofen because it is acidic and we are supposed to limit our consumption of acidic foods and meds...they can trigger symptoms and cause flares.

Last edited by ~briza~; 08-28-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I was thinking about asking my doctor to switch me to the vicoprophin, can those of you who have taken it tell me if you had any trouble with your pharmacy stocking it? I hate being on a med they have to keep remembering to order, and thats never a problem with the generic lortab 7.5 I'm on now, I think thats in the top 10 most frequently prescribed med in the country.

Right now I take 800 mgs of Ibuprophin a day, it would be nice if I could take them both in one pill.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User

I switched from Vicodin to Vicoprofen a while back and haven't had any problem with it not being stocked. One pharmacist did tell me it wasn't all that common but common enough to stock. I only take 3 per day but I get more relief from 1 tablet than I do from taking 4 regular Ibuprofens at once.

Closed Thread