It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• generic oxycodone question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
    ejreiss
    (male)

ejreiss HB User
    generic oxycodone question

I have had several back surgeries and now have failed back syndrome, scar tissue, nerve damage etc. My situation is work comp and I have never been able to get them to authorize another pain man doctor. He only will give me 60 perc 7.5 per month and since I've been on it for over four years it hardly works anymore. I was just wondering if it would make a difference if I paid the extra money and got the brand name percocet instead of the generics which is all the work comp insurance will pay for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
    whitfield
    (male)

whitfield HB User
    Re: generic oxycodone question

There is a generic called Endocet made by the same company that makes the name brand Percocet and in fact is the exact same just has no marketing expense and is therefore cheaper--But if you cannot find them, I say try the name brand and see--Good luck--Whitfield (Roger)

Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I take the Watson generic and find that it works better than the Endo in my opinion. There is long-standing debate about which is better. It seems to depend on the individual. I have heard others echo my sentiments, and also those who said that the Endo brand was best. Give it a try. I found out by accident and was glad I did, because the Watson work better for me.

Good Luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

I take 10mg percocet and have had both the brand name and the generic percocet. i have found no difference in the brand and the generic in pain relief. I personally get the generic because it is cheaper. everyone works in different ways though so it is always worth a try. I know that the generic oxycontin did not work for me very much and I have to get brand name all the time. There might be some relief in it though so try the brand name and let us know how it worked!

Wvrecon432

Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
    JoJo921
    (male)

JoJo921 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejreiss View Post
    I have had several back surgeries and now have failed back syndrome, scar tissue, nerve damage etc. My situation is work comp and I have never been able to get them to authorize another pain man doctor. He only will give me 60 perc 7.5 per month and since I've been on it for over four years it hardly works anymore. I was just wondering if it would make a difference if I paid the extra money and got the brand name percocet instead of the generics which is all the work comp insurance will pay for.
    It is a shame your workmans comp wont allow you to see another pm doc. because chances are after four years on perc's your tolerance will not allow the proper pain relief. Your Dr should know this. I have a friend who is battling a brain tumer and the doc precribed actiq for her among the other meds she takes and medicare did not want to approve it, so long story short, the doc called the insurance company and said since they would not authorize the meds he is going to put her in the hospital to get her pain under control and instead of it costing them 1000.00 it will now cost them 10.000.00. Funny how within 30 min the new meds were approved.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

JoJo that is so sad!!! It just makes me sick when w/c or insurances dictate to the doctors.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

That is indeed sad that they wont let you see another pain doc....I have had alot of trouble out of my insurance as well but they do let me see pretty much any doc i want as long as my primary writes a refferal to them.

As for as the percs go i take the 10/325 strength and have had just about all of them as far as brands. i didnt like the mallincrap, and the watson i think(round ones) didnt seem to work as well. I have had the brand name and they did work alot better than the generics EXCEPT the endo generic which i cant tell a difference in it. i think someone already mentiond that they are pretty much the same thing and made by the maker of brand name percocet. i take the endo generic and have no complaints whatsoever. You might want to try and find the endo generic(just call around to different pharmacies and ask if the stock it) and if you cant find them try brand name. let us know if you have better pain relief from them though! also you might want to have a talk with your PM doc and explain to him that you have been taking them for 4 years now and you dont feel very much pain relief from them anymore. mabey ask him for the 10mg tabs or to take an extra tab each day......mabey even switch to another pain med altogether. when one becomes tolerant to a pain med it is common to switch to another so you dont have to increase the dose of the one your on now because the tolerance is much lower to the new med. just some food for thought....i would def have a talk with your PM doc. if he dont help you then ask the workers comp(or beg them) to try another PM doc because you dont feel this one is treating you properly. Please post us updates though as everything happens so we will know what is going on and it might help someone else going through the same thing.
    hope this helps you!!

whosit

Closed Thread